MCAT Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some people use drugs for attention when taking the test, specially for verbal, is this true? What kind of drugs could these people possibly use?

Members don't see this ad.

Ritalin? Probably any of the drugs for ADD...I don't know if any have been shown to legitimately boost your performance on any type of standardized test though.

People take adderol all the time when studying for finals...it helps you "focus"

it basically works like a "steroid" for your brain.........u become SUPER brainy...haha....and focus at a ridiculous level.

but...beware...u will be hurting for a while after taking these medications. so if its for an all nighter and u need it.........then ok, but if not.......avoid it

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be careful when you're using these drugs. Tolerance may likely develop even with a dosage under prescription. While it improves your overall concentration, the stimulant may impair your inherent ability to think critically. It may impair your judgement, and may cause hallucination when taken for long-period of time (more than 8 weeks).
I've been taking adderall everyday for about 6 months. I actually started with 10mg couple of years ago on and off. The feeling of well-being I got from Adderall was indescribable and made me do extremely well in school. This is on a 20-30 mg a day pill. Soon, the feeling got weaker and wore off quicker, which made me have constant mood swings... so I knew I had to stop taking it upon graduate school. However, I somehow began taking it again to study for the MCAT, only I knew how addictive it was so I only took a normal constant dosage of 20 mg -30mg a day. Soon, I needed 30 mg to keep up "normal" life and then 40 mg, then 60mg. At that point (which is where I am now) no amount of Adderall can help me really "focus". I need to take 40 mg a day just to get through Kaplan prep class and 60mg to do additional homework assignment for the MCAT. I do not get that same feeling that Adderall gives anymore. You could say I'm addicted to it; however, I'm not the only one.
Even if you take adderall only as prescribed, it can be dangerous. My psychiatrist put me on this drug 20mg-3 x/ day.

I still frequently hear voices even though I'm not on adderall. When I try to read verbal passage, sometimes I can't concentrate because I keep hearing this inner voice from back of my head. I lost so much weight because of this drug. Now it's hard to taper this drug off abruptly because of withdrawal effect such as extreme fatigue, depression...etc. My life is on crank.
For this reason, I'm even deciding to put off taking April MCAT for now and take it in August. I don't advise anyone to take this drug frequently.
I gotta take care of my health first before my brain get messed up permanantly and become a complete *****.

unbelievable!!! What some people do to get into med school is just crazy sometimes. Just wondering if those stories were true. I'm just glad I'm in and in August I'll start med school somewhere, haven't made up my mind yet, but somewhere. Good luck to all of you studying for the MCAT!