Low verbal (CARS) score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownie man

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi colleges and physicians, i am in desperate need of help with the CARS section of the MCAT. I graduated with honors 3.9 GPA bachelors in biology emp in Neuroscience and minor in Chemistry.

I have attempted to raise my verbal score over the last 2 years and on the old system only managed a high score of 3/15 I tested in the 30 percentile. all of the other sections were not a problem but the CARS section has been insurmountable. I recently returned to college. this semester I took ENG 304 argument (rhetoric), sociology, abnormal psychology, and Linguistics.

if there is a course that you would recommend for the CARS section or a tutor, I would greatly appreciate it. I have wasted years trying to figure this out. I need all the help I can get.

Sincerely,

Brownie man

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
it was low also-below average. i took the ACT. graduated in a town of 500 people. there were 18 people in my graduating class. I didn't study for the test, none of us did. We took the ACT because we were required to for something.

I think my reading score was a 17 on the ACT

I am a slow reader... I have purchased several books on speed reading to try to improve. initially, i could not hear author tone nor anticipate a rebuttal argument.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I’ve heard about doing well is CARS is one of two ways: 1. Practice practice practice 2. You already have an inclination for it from a background of reading

My personal advice is to just crank out as many practice problems as you can and also find something enjoyable to read on the regular (but something that obviously has been edited for proper sentence structure and grammar, ex. news, journal articles, National Geographic articles, novels, etc.)

I am a slow reader... I have purchased several books on speed reading to try to improve. initially, i could not hear author tone nor anticipate a rebuttal argument.

Check out Tim Ferriss’ video on speed-reading. Easily found on YouTube

Reactions: 1 user
I was just wondering, I got a 506 but I got a 43% on CARS. How bad will that affect my application? Do colleges equally weigh the different section??

What I’ve heard about doing well is CARS is one of two ways: 1. Practice practice practice 2. You already have an inclination for it from a background of reading

My personal advice is to just crank out as many practice problems as you can and also find something enjoyable to read on the regular (but something that obviously has been edited for proper sentence structure and grammar, ex. news, journal articles, National Geographic articles, novels, etc.)

What I’ve heard about doing well is CARS is one of two ways: 1. Practice practice practice 2. You already have an inclination for it from a background of reading or you do lots and lots of practice questions.

I will do that. the truth is that for the past two years it has been the only section that I have studied. I prepared for the science sections with 2 weeks per subject (largely because i dedicated all my time to trying to pass the verbal and made a last minute push on science) I scored a little above average in the biology and physical science sections 9 and 10. I could have scored higher if i dedicated more time to them; but, with a 3 in verbal reasoning, it is the verbal skills that need the focus.

I have been trying and have improved a lot. but It is something that does not come easily for me. i have exam kracker 101, princeton review, princeton hyperlearning, and berkley. I just need to get back to the grind. these skills seem to take me a long time to develop. i never liked reading as a kid. do you recommend a particular book to study from? I also heard that next step has a dedent book. What about a tutor?

I recently called another college and asked for advice. they said if i was currently in school, they would recommend courses with intense reading and to take a speed reading course. i will check him out for sure. thanks

I will do that. the truth is that for the past two years it has been the only section that I have studied. I prepared for the science sections with 2 weeks per subject (largely because i dedicated all my time to trying to pass the verbal and made a last minute push on science) I scored a little above average in the biology and physical science sections 9 and 10. I could have scored higher if i dedicated more time to them; but, with a 3 in verbal reasoning, it is the verbal skills that need the focus.

I have been trying and have improved a lot. but It is something that does not come easily for me. i have exam kracker 101, princeton review, princeton hyperlearning, and berkley. I just need to get back to the grind. these skills seem to take me a long time to develop. i never liked reading as a kid. do you recommend a particular book to study from? I also heard that next step has a dedent book. What about a tutor?

Oh oops sorry I might have not seen the two years prep thing

If it's been that long and it hasn't been improving your problem is probably in your approach and a third person to evaluate and help you is your best bet. A dedicated MCAT tutor would be the absolute best but it is expensive. If it is in your budget definitely go for it. If not, try to find a friend who has gotten good MCAT scores to help you (at the very least, to go through a couple of practice exams you've taken with you and talk through it with you to figure out your specific weaknesses and how to approach them) or if your university is big enough, see if they have a tutoring/teaching service there (probably won't have one specifically for MCAT stuff but maybe there might be a tutor for general English that could help).

Also, I know you're focusing on CARS right now, and rightfully so with the score, but you still need to get your other sections up as well. They seem lukewarm at the moment and you want to make the most of your strong points. Get decent scores on your weaker sections but the ones you're good at?-you want to knock them out of the park. Each individual section matters, but so does your cumulative score.

If it's been that long and it hasn't been improving your problem is probably in your approach and a third person to evaluate and help you is your best bet. A dedicated MCAT tutor would be the absolute best but it is expensive. If it is in your budget definitely go for it. If not, try to find a friend who has gotten good MCAT scores to help you (at the very least, to go through a couple of practice exams you've taken with you and talk through it with you to figure out your specific weaknesses and how to approach them) or if your university is big enough, see if they have a tutoring/teaching service there (probably won't have one specifically for MCAT stuff but maybe there might be a tutor for general English that could help).

Also, I know you're focusing on CARS right now, and rightfully so with the score, but you still need to get your other sections up as well. They seem lukewarm at the moment and you want to make the most of your strong points. Get decent scores on your weaker sections but the ones you're good at?-you want to knock them out of the park. Each individual section matters, but so does your cumulative score.
thanks for the advice... i do believe that i need a tutor. It has been years of on and off training with little improvement. I have returned to school to and have been taking english courses. I need a good tutor so that i don't waste more of my time. i appreaciate every thing that you guys have been telling me. sincerely, brownie

i think both of your points are valid... in need to make a jump on the verbal with a tutor. i have wasted so much time trying to do it myself. but i need the tutor to be one that is qualified to help those that are in bad shape.

good point about refreshing up on the science courses also. I am working a full time job. using time efficiently is key..

thanks a bunch for your pointers

by the way... his points are awesome.. i have a tendency to need money or feel that i need to help my mother out "widowed." i feel like i never have enough time in my life... this guy is awesome