MCAT Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

determinedpreme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking a prep course for the MCAT and I've noticed that the passages that TPR gives for verbal practice are rather hard. I've taken two diagnostics and got a score of 6 and a score of 5. When I took a practice verbal test from the EK 101 verbal book, I also scored a 6. I won't be taking the MCAT until May. Anyone have suggestions as to what I should be doing right now to improve my score? Verbal reasoning has always been hard for me. When I check the right answers from the back of the book, I notice that I usually end up picking the wrong answer from two answers that I think could be right.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently taking a prep course for the MCAT and I've noticed that the passages that TPR gives for verbal practice are rather hard. I've taken two diagnostics and got a score of 6 and a score of 5. When I took a practice verbal test from the EK 101 verbal book, I also scored a 6. I won't be taking the MCAT until May. Anyone have suggestions as to what I should be doing right now to improve my score? Verbal reasoning has always been hard for me. When I check the right answers from the back of the book, I notice that I usually end up picking the wrong answer from two answers that I think could be right.

1) you should probably post in the MCAT forum.

2) if you're getting two answer choices that are probably right, that's a good start, just pick the right one!

3) read.

i dunno of too many people that improved more than 3 points on their verbal section from their diagnostic through just practice without changing their method, i could be out of scope though, i'd suggest trying a different method than u're doing. you could passage map, preread the q's, or something else

does TPR give you methods for approaching verbal? it's largely about understanding the structure of the passage and the critical thinking needed to understand what the author is feeling and what s/he is trying to accomplish.

it really comes with practice.