MCAT verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

house2272000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One year from now I will be taking my mcat's. I am very confident that I will do well on the organic science, physical science, and writing section. The section that I am most dreading about is the verbal. I was never a much of a reader when I was in high school, so my SAT score for critical reading was 400. What should I do to make sure I do well on the MCAT verbal? I have started reading seven articles daily from the Economist.

THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

you still have a year, its too early to start worrying about the MCAT...

But, since you know you are not a good reader, try to become one within the next few months. Read anything and everything you can get your hands on. Train yourself to read fast but to not miss details... Don't do any practice verbal passages or try to answer questions just yet.. its too soon for that. just improve your reading skills and your vocab...

Reading 7 articles a day from the Economist won't help as much as picking a good one article and analyzing the heck out of it. I don't even think Economist updates that often. Better to pick from a broad field of articles as well.

:beat:Take each passage by the head and tear it to shreads . I was always afraid of the passages but realized that I wasn't being agressive enough while reading and answering the questions. In the testing center I actually took the screen with both hands and read it like a book. I felt in complete control (for some reason...haha). I just wasn't gonna let some test kick my butt. Theres greater things in life to dread...think about it. Once you become a doctor you'll probably just laugh at the whole thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
:beat:Take each passage by the head and tear it to shreads . I was always afraid of the passages but realized that I wasn't being agressive enough while reading and answering the questions. In the testing center I actually took the screen with both hands and read it like a book. I felt in complete control (for some reason...haha). I just wasn't gonna let some test kick my butt. Theres greater things in life to dread...think about it. Once you become a doctor you'll probably just laugh at the whole thing.

That's the best advice ever! I thought I was being more active by reading every word and forcing myself to pay attention. But NO, you need to be much more aggressive than that! In your head, you must be thinking....

What the hell are you trying to say?
You have sucky arguments.....You don't know what you're talking about, you wishy-washy opinionated person.

and ok..maybe not with so much rage, but let there be some minute anger/cynicism when you read the passage. You will notice yourself doing well! I did, I was scoring 6-7s, then took this approach, really just treated it as if this author was in a debate with me, and I needed to pay attention to every argument/piece of evidence he was using against me.

Like the sound of the advice, will definitely try it out.

"Theres greater things in life to dread...think about it. Once you become a doctor you'll probably just laugh at the whole thing."

This is definitely true...all the residents that I've talked to so far think that mcat scores don't tell you anything. It is just a necessary hurdle to cross to be a doctor and that is it. I just wished med schools looked at it that way also.