MCAT vs GAMSAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stherling

stherling
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an Australian citizen (though I haven't lived there since I was three) currently living and working in the US, and thinking about going to Australia for medical school (various reasons, one of which is that my family is mostly in Singapore, which is much nearer to Australia than it is to the US)

According to ACER, Australians have to take the GAMSAT for entry into medical school, but international students are allowed to take the MCAT instead. I have already taken the MCAT, and am extremely pleased with my score and would rather not have to take another entrance exam. Does anyone know if my MCAT scores would be accepted in lieu of GAMSAT scores? Or who I could ask? I tried checking with ACER a few years ago and got nowhere. Oh, I also did my undergrad studies(BA in psych) in the US.

Any info would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similair situation, and I tried as best I could to get out of taking the GAMSAT, to no avail. If you're a "local" student, you HAVE to take the GAMSAT for entry. On the upside, I thought the GAMSAT was signifigantly easier than the MCAT, so if you had good scores on the MCAT, you should have no problems at all with the GAMSAT.