MCAT w/o 2nd sem. Ochem.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gee... I think my subject kind of sums it up pretty well.:rolleyes:

I'll be taking the August MCAT without having taken the second semester (or as we Buckeyes would say, the 3rd quarter) of organic chemistry.

Can anyone suggest a book/plan of attack/anything to prepare myself for this? I am interested in ExamKrackers at this point. How well did this help for any of you?

Thanks,
NS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By perserverance, the snail reached the ark.
-Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Members don't see this ad.

I took the April MCAT without having taken the second semester of O-Chem or Physics. I used Examkracker's materials and felt pretty good about it going into the test.

If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely use Examkracker's to study with and would still feel comfortable going in without having taken the Physics/O-Chem classes.

Jason

I've actually heard of a couple of people doing the same thing, some haven't taken physics 2 etc...

With that being said, I think you should really be careful. The 2nd part of o-chem is very tedious and there are a GREAT many things to be learned that will help tremendously with the MCATs.

Good luck though...

Members don't see this ad :)
its probably like anything else... if you know what you have ahead of you, and are willing to put in the work, its possible to be prepared for the test.

I think you should also be careful. If you're going to take a course, you can't expect them to teach you the science you were already supposed to have learned.

If you're a good book learner, I'd suggest cracking open your textbook and going over the concepts as outlined by a Kaplan or Princeton Review. They have summaries, but those summaries are only supposed to be refreshers.

Some say that it would be too much effort to try to learn everything. I think if you never look at something, there's less chance for you to recall it on test day.

I just took the April 2003 MCAT and my difficult section was the Physical Sciences. I'm hoping I didn't mess up the Physics portions too bad. Verbal and Biosciences were better than expected, but I can't say what I expect my scores to be because of the mixed reactions from everyone who took the test.

Either way, come up with a plan of attack to review all of the material you're supposed to know for the test. My friends bought me the super thick Kaplan review book because they knew I couldn't afford the $1500+ to take the course. From what I gather, if you're pretty smart, it could be a waste of time. They teach some tricks, but I believe they publish most of them in the book. Then get your hands on a bunch of practice questions and go over everything you answered incorrectly.

I had no life as a postbac working full time taking 2-3 courses per semester. With the added responsibility of reviewing for the MCAT, I am surprised I escaped with my sanity, but here I sit writing to you today!

;)

There is such little o-chem on the bio section now, I think you'll be fine. My mcat last month had only about 2 o-chem passages. It was mostly molecular bio.

You are so fine without 3rd Q ochem, as all 3rd Q is is rxns that just follow basic ochem rules into new types of rxns and stuff. All the mechanisms rae the same . Plus the ochem on the mcat is quite basica.. konw ur NMR, Chirality stuff, seperatoins and purifciations. SN1/2 E1/2 and basic rules like why things attack what etc. And u are fine. All of htat is learned in Q 1 and 2 forsure. Dont worry aobut it

I took the MCAT without 2nd sem o-chem or physics. Best prep materials for me: PR for Physics, Kaplan/Examkrackers for O-chem. PR was good for O-chem as well but very detailed. Examkrackers summed everything up nicely.

Good luck!