MCAT while on your Period..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RQAH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my MCAT in two days and I just got my period. The third day for me is usually the worst (heavy, cramping, back pain). All would be well if i was allowed to bring a heating pad/bottle into the exam room but that isn't allowed. Has anyone been through this? Tips? Personal experiences? I do not want to delay the exam at this point (Life happens, and what's the guarantee that i won't get my period on the delayed date) so please no suggestions about delaying. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
you can take ibuprofen (600 MG every 8 hours with food) and acetaminophen (1000 mg every 6 hours) together to try and prevent the pain. this is the max dose allowed in 24 hours and this can be a strong dose for some people so maybe try taking half the amount today and see how you feel. you might not need the max dose. also, acetaminophen usually has caffeine included with it so account for that if you tend to get very jittery with too much. obviously check with pharmacist/doctor first in case you have any conflicting medications/diagnoses that do not allow you to take this.

do you exercise? exercise has always helped me relieve any extreme pain so a short jog might be helpful morning of.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my MCAT in two days and I just got my period. The third day for me is usually the worst (heavy, cramping, back pain). All would be well if i was allowed to bring a heating pad/bottle into the exam room but that isn't allowed. Has anyone been through this? Tips? Personal experiences? I do not want to delay the exam at this point (Life happens, and what's the guarantee that i won't get my period on the delayed date) so please no suggestions about delaying. Thanks.

I heard you when you said not to say this, but I hope that you will hear me out. Disregard if you want:

Your score will have a big impact on your options and just a few points difference could end up costing you a lot of time, money, and heartache. If you know that you are likely to feel unwell, for whatever reason, it is unwise to forge forward with taking the test at that time. I understand, no one wants to hear "delay it." But you don't want to have to retake this test. It is in your best interest to make your first attempt your best attempt, and to take the exam under the best possible circumstances. I think that if you take it and suffer through it, you will end up regretting it. You will always think about how much better you might have done if you hadn't been in pain.

@harkas just for future ref we aren't to provide medical advice on this forum. =)

oops sorry!

I heard you when you said not to say this, but I hope that you will hear me out. Disregard if you want:

Your score will have a big impact on your options and just a few points difference could end up costing you a lot of time, money, and heartache. If you know that you are likely to feel unwell, for whatever reason, it is unwise to forge forward with taking the test at that time. I understand, no one wants to hear "delay it." But you don't want to have to retake this test. It is in your best interest to make your first attempt your best attempt, and to take the exam under the best possible circumstances. I think that if you take it and suffer through it, you will end up regretting it. You will always think about how much better you might have done if you hadn't been in pain.

but wouldn't she lose all her money regardless since it's in two days?

wouldn't it be better to at least sit for it and then void it if you begin to feel badly? just wondering.

I understand, and i would have loved to delay if i knew about my dilemma even 2 weeks prior. My understanding is that I am only able to "cancel" the test this late which means I would have pay the entire amount again. Therefore, might as well write it.

UPDATE...

I called the test centre, and they said a cordless heating pad is allowed! Plus they have a microwave which I can use to heat it up! Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably take an NSAID with me as well :)

Reactions: 3 users
UPDATE...

I called the test centre, and they said a cordless heating pad is allowed! Plus they have a microwave which I can use to heat it up! Thanks for the suggestions, I will probably take an NSAID with me as well :)
Best of luck! You can do it!

UPDATE...

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that they will allow this. A friend of mine made me a warm pack that is just rice sewn up inside part of an old pillow case. It gets hot and stays hot for a long time when heated in the microwave. So, if you don't already have one, that is an option that you can make cheaply and quickly.

Something else I remembered: I'm not advising you to do this. But I will relate something that I have found helpful in the past.

Back when I had a menstrual cycle, I had really terrible cramps. Because part of my problem was endometriosis, part of the pain was not only uterine spasms/cramps, but also intestinal cramping. If anything, the intestinal component of the symptoms was the worst part. When it was really bad, I found that a dose of immodium (loperimide) was very helpful for that part. It took away a lot of the discomfort and put a stop to the irritable bowel kinds of symptoms that accompanied my periods. I didn't need to use nearly as much NSAID, if any at all.

Again, I'm not recommending this to you. You should definitely not take advice on medical concerns from random people from the internet, and should talk with your physician about your particular situation.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that they will allow this. A friend of mine made me a warm pack that is just rice sewn up inside part of an old pillow case. It gets hot and stays hot for a long time when heated in the microwave. So, if you don't already have one, that is an option that you can make cheaply and quickly.

Something else I remembered: I'm not advising you to do this. But I will relate something that I have found helpful in the past.

Back when I had a menstrual cycle, I had really terrible cramps. Because part of my problem was endometriosis, part of the pain was not only uterine spasms/cramps, but also intestinal cramping. If anything, the intestinal component of the symptoms was the worst part. When it was really bad, I found that a dose of immodium (loperimide) was very helpful for that part. It took away a lot of the discomfort and put a stop to the irritable bowel kinds of symptoms that accompanied my periods. I didn't need to use nearly as much NSAID, if any at all.

Again, I'm not recommending this to you. You should definitely not take advice on medical concerns from random people from the internet, and should talk with your physician about your particular situation.

I actually bought one of those "rice" heating pads as soon as I got the go ahead! I am glad to hear they do seem to work. I usually only take NSAIDs, but I had an appendectomy a couple months ago and still had tramadol/acetaminophen. I took one today and it helped but I don't plan on taking it on MCAT day.

Thanks for sharing :)

I search for help with reproductive anatomy and menstruation, and this thread pops up! lol

I guess girls are lucky if they get a passage on this topic.