MCAT without Orgo 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC G.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be taking Physics 2 and Orgo 1 Spring '06.....would it be smart to take the MCAT without Ochem 2? I wil be taking a review course as well!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

DOC G. said:
I will be taking Physics 2 and Orgo 1 Spring '06.....would it be smart to take the MCAT without Ochem 2? I wil be taking a review course as well!

Thank you

This is not a good move to take the MCAT without taking Ochem.
Lucky as you might be...some questions will require your understanding of ochem.

I think it will be tough. I took a prep course without Orgo II and for me, it was just a mental thing. I would always use it as an excuse for not doing well and use it as a crutch. It was a self-esteem/confidence thing to me. I ended up not signing up for the MCAT that sem. But if you can handle that course load, and do extra work on top, I say all the best! Plus, for you, you will not have a good grasp of Orgo I in Jan or early Feb. Realistically, you will fully understand everything in April, but in the early prep work of Jan/Feb you will not have a decent grasp. I guess you will feel confident about what you know in Orgo I in March, when your class has studied the topic for at least a couple of months. Adding a good understanding of Orgo II in that three month period will be difficult, no doubt. Very tough road ahead, but if you have the dedication, go for it! I have read a few posts (maybe 1 or 2) from people on this forum that have taken the MCAT w/o Orgo II and done really well on the test.
Overall, I think it is the amount of time and dedication you put into it. If you put an overwhelming amount of energy into this endeavor, you will do fine. That seems to be the recurring theme about this MCAT discussion.

Maybe getting the 1001 Examkracker Organic Chemistry question set will speed your process along. I haven't heard any good reviews about this particular set but it sounds like it would be useful to you.

Hope this helps.

DOC G. said:

Duplicated!!!! Sorry

Members don't see this ad :)
DOC G. said:

Thank you
Yes. This is possible, and one of my friend did it when I was in college.
She came out with a banging 34!
Phy 2 and ochem 1 are enough to get you there...and the review course will brush over the missing part, which is not too hard to understand.
Good luck!:)

Can you do the MCAT without taking Org 2? In my case, I didn't have Org 2 (I had already done org 1 a couple of years earlier), but I did take a review course that went over the topics very briefly. I ended doing fine on the MCATs (well enough to get into McGill). The funny thing is that I took org 2 after the mcats. Although if i could, i would've done it the other way around.

Cheers

thank you for your suggestions! I mean Ochem 2 not orgo 2 sorry about that

DOC G. said:

Thank you
Yes, you can take the MCAT without Organic II... I know many people who did. Orgo is definitely getting less emphasis on the MCAT. However... you need to keep in mind that in Orgo I you get only the basic skills that are applied in Orgo II for some real-world reactions. The only basic skills orgo questions you would see (in my opinion) would be discretes. If you get an Orgo passage or two on your form, they are very probably going to be Orgo II material. Questions on aldol reactions and other alpha/beta carbon reactions are common - and you should know Orgo II nomenclature. You also should have some knowlege of NMR and organic lab techniques that you probably haven't seen yet.

Your review course is going to assume you just need a refresher on the material and it will probably go too fast for you to learn much. If you do want to take the MCAT without Orgo II, I would recommend Examkrackers Organic Chemistry. Chapters 1 & 2 are Orgo I - Chapter 3 starts the Orgo II material. Examkrackers will tell you what you need to know in a pretty readable format. I also liked the o-chem discussion in Petersen's "Gold Standard MCAT".

Just my .02.