mcat woes

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nezlab99, Oct 21, 2001.

1. nezlab99

nezlab99 Senior Member

I just got my scores back today. I got a 31 on the multiple choice, which I am happy with. But, I got an "L" on the writing sample! This is the first time I have taken it, and I have time to take it again, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Input from anyone would be appreciated. I just want someone to spare my feelings and be straight with me. :confused:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member

Dear nezlab,

The problem with retaking, especially if numerically you received at least a 30, is that you risk going down in one or more subsections. How do you feel about writing in general? And how was your verbal score? If you can write a strong AMCAS essay, and if your verbal score was reasonably good, then you probably should not retake the exam. Medical schools seem to be least concerned about the writing section, and they will be especially nonplused if other areas of your application counterbalance the score.

Good luck in your decision...and congrats on the 31, that's fantastic! :)

4. Resident Alien

I think its a bit more tricky than that. I have a 33L with an 8 on VR, and my interviewer asked me about my WS and VR scores.
    What i can say for sure is..dont retake! I wouldnt wanna do that just to increase the WS score.

5. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

I agree - you should not retake. If you retook the test and got a lower numerical score it would look bad. It's not worth it. Write a strong PS and you'll be ok.

6. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know everyone hates the grammar police, but nonplused actually means the opposite of how I think you meant it.

nonplus: to cause to be at a loss as to what to say, think, or do : PERPLEX synonym see PUZZLE.

I'm not saying this to make fun or belittle anyone; just a PSA.

I'll duck now.

7. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member

I do not know anybody who was denied admission because of the low WS score. so...I would'nt worry about it.

8. none

none 1K Member

Yeah, your verbal score dictates whether you retake. If it's balanced with the others, there's no real reason. They'll know you can handle the English language.