MCAT Worries...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineFoundMe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Were any of you non-trads that need to take the MCAT but hadn't seen the inside of a college classroom in 10 yrs? How on earth do you do it. I barely remember where I took the 8 sciences, much less what was in them. Is Kaplan enough?

Thanks from an old daddy...

Members don't see this ad.

Were any of you non-trads that need to take the MCAT but hadn't seen the inside of a college classroom in 10 yrs? How on earth do you do it. I barely remember where I took the 8 sciences, much less what was in them. Is Kaplan enough?

Try the pre-med and/or non-trad forums. This is exactly they kind of question that gets answered there by medical students (don't worry ... med students do go and answer questions there).

You won't want to hear this, but I suspect you're going to have to re-take your core pre-requisites. Medical schools don't want your "core" classes to be that old. You might want to contact the admissions office of a few places where you're interested in going and get some more specific advice. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't want to hear this, but I suspect you're going to have to re-take your core pre-requisites. Medical schools don't want your "core" classes to be that old. You might want to contact the admissions office of a few places where you're interested in going and get some more specific advice. Good luck!

You're right, I didn't want to hear that. I'm going to try to nail the MCAT, and since I'm applying to early decision and I'm currently an NP in rural health and wanting to return to that as MD, maybe it'll fly. Thanks for your input!

I think with my situation if I can get a 25 or higher I'll be fine. Historically I've been a very good test taker (ie I scored in the 99 percentile on some critical thinking test I had to take in grad school). I just don't remember crap about all the physics or chem/ochem.

My undergraduate grades were ten years old when I applied to medial school in 2004. It was not a problem. A few schools, however, have the policy that you fear. Check MSAR, and e-mail the schools. Nothing beats going directly to the source. Now....doing well on the MCAT requires you to know chemistry, biology, and physics. A good prep. course will be essential for you, or you could audit those courses at your local college. I did neither, and I think it was a identifiable weakness for the MCAT.

OP, please do not cross-post in multiple forums. I'm going to leave your thread here since you are specifically addressing non-trads, but you might also try searching in the MCAT forum for more info.

You don't have to retake your prior courses if you have been out 10+ years! Be sure to use multiple MCAT prep options (such as purchasing both the Kaplan and Princeton review manuals online, not the courses) in your studies and give yourself 4-6 months to prepare. Taking upper-level courses will help, however. I found physiology, microbiology, and biochemistry to be helpful when studying for the MCAT. Don't repeat those prereqs, it's not necessary. Move on to more upper-level classes and review on your own. :luck:

Are any of you non-trads that need to take the MCAT but haven't seen the inside of a college classroom in 10 yrs? How on earth do you do it. I barely remember where I took the 8 sciences, much less what was in them. Is Kaplan enough?

I think with my situation if I can get a 25 or higher I'll be fine. Historically I've been a very good test taker (ie I scored in the 99 percentile on some critical thinking test I had to take in grad school). I just don't remember crap about all the physics or chem/ochem.

A 25? You'd better be URM to be saying you'll be fine with a 25.

I was out of college for 16 years when I applied to med school.

A 25 on the MCAT will get you into a DO school, provided your grades are good, but it will be tough to get into an allopathic school with that score.

The books I highly recommend are Exam Krackers. They are fantastic in that they tell you exactly what you need to know. Couple it with the audio osmosis and you will learn what you need to know.

Study hard for the MCAT, you will get out of it what you put into it. I studied my tail off, got a 29 and got into Drexel.

Are any of you non-trads that need to take the MCAT but haven't seen the inside of a college classroom in 10 yrs? How on earth do you do it. I barely remember where I took the 8 sciences, much less what was in them. Is Kaplan enough?

I think you are setting your sights too low. A combined score of 25 won't get you into most medical schools, including some osteopathic ones. These days, you ought to shoot for a combined score of 30 or higher for allopathic, or 27 or higher for osteopathic. This is a formidable task, in my opinion, especially after a period of 10+ years away from school. If you do not retake your premedical prerequisite classes, or take additional advanced science classes, I think it will be even more important for you to perform well on your MCAT.

The medical school process isn't a sprint, as I've heard it said, it is a marathon. Don't rush. Do what it takes to do it properly, even if it means retaking a majority of your premedical prerequisite classes. The MCAT is both a critical thinking test and a test of your knowledge. You have to know the basic sciences well and be able to apply the concepts in unfamiliar situations under extreme time pressure. Kaplan wouldn't be enough in my opinion. You would need to fill all the wholes in your knowledge until you understand the concepts like the back of your hand; it's up to you how you want to do this, but you'll definitely need to do lots of problems. Take as many practice tests as you are able to under real conditions without vomiting. Also, do lots of reading with the intent to summarize and capture the gist, especially complex science and humanities articles. Be able to interpret graph and data well. Practicing under realistic test conditions is one of the keys to performing well. Get all the AAMC tests and any other realistic practice tests you can get your hands on and do them all.

Good Luck! :)

I think you are setting your sights too low. A combined score of 25 won't get you into most medical schools, including some osteopathic ones. These days, you ought to shoot for a combined score of 30 or higher for allopathic, or 27 or higher for osteopathic. This is a formidable task, in my opinion, especially after a period of 10+ years away from school. If you do not retake your premedical prerequisite classes, or take additional advanced science classes, I think it will be even more important for you to perform well on your MCAT.

The medical school process isn't a sprint, as I've heard it said, it is a marathon. Don't rush. Do what it takes to do it properly, even if it means retaking a majority of your premedical prerequisite classes. The MCAT is both a critical thinking test and a test of your knowledge. You have to know the basic sciences well and be able to apply the concepts in unfamiliar situations under extreme time pressure. Kaplan wouldn't be enough in my opinion. You would need to fill all the wholes in your knowledge until you understand the concepts like the back of your hand; it's up to you how you want to do this, but you'll definitely need to do lots of problems. Take as many practice tests as you are able to under real conditions without vomiting. Also, do lots of reading with the intent to summarize and capture the gist, especially complex science and humanities articles. Be able to interpret graph and data well. Practicing under realistic test conditions is one of the keys to performing well. Get all the AAMC tests and any other realistic practice tests you can get your hands on and do them all.

Good Luck! :)

Don't get me wrong... I'm not shooting for 25, but if I get less than that, I'll just forget the whole thing this time around. Thanks for your input. I certainly will bust my rear between now and April.

I took my O Chem book to work with me today, but was swamped with patients and I have to cover the ER by myself at the same time (had procedures, casting, sniffles, pukes, and a nice MI to top it off to deal with). Ironic... stressing over too much work in medicine so I can study for a test to learn how to practice medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP I feel your pain. I too am a NP who is seeking to go back to school for more knowledge and a better license. I have not taken any prereq's, and it has been about 10 years since HS, 6 since my BSN, and 2.5 since my MSN.

I am overly optimistic and hopeful that as long as I don't embarrass a school for accepting me with whatever my mcat score will be, I will get in. I am not able to take prereq's currently since I am overseas but I will if things don't work out this cycle. I take the mcat in April and the studying is kicking my butt. I am using examkrackers and it is great, I have just forgotten so much. I am fine on the VR and I think I can swing the BS, you probably can too with your background. I decided this week that I am going to look for a tutor to help teach me some of the info and to help me with the problems, lol.

Anyway, pm me if you want more info.

PS- to all those who want to rain on my hopes, don't. I know my odds and how unlikely it will be to get in. It is my only option for this cycle and I am not getting any younger.

And never go to the pre-allo forum. You might strain yourself trying to understand them over there.

Make a contigency plan and a time line for studying and study smart. Know your learning methodology. Since you have not dealt with the pre-req material in a while, it might be best to review at a liesurely yet thorough pace to make sure you understand the concepts, put in enough practice time and sharpen your techniques as best as you can before taking the MCAT.

No rain, here, CarolinaGirl. It's a personal choice to apply when you do, and in whatever condition you chose. If you believe you are ready, then by all means, I encourage you to go forth with every confidence that you'll get what you want.

Dreams are great, as is realism. It's healthy to have a good dose of each. Yes, let your dreams guide you, don't let anybody tell you it can't be done, but also do what you can to make things go your way. This reminds me of the old desert saying, "trust in God, but tie up your camel."

My only real advise to anybody is to do the work that is necessary to stack the deck in your favor, whatever that looks like for you. You want to apply when you are in your best position, to set yourself up for success. Give it your all. Don't move forward in the process from a place of lack, or contraction, especially from the belief that time is running out. Move forward from a place of open possibility, and do whatever is most expansive for you.

By the way, getting a tutor is a great idea. I wish you the best of luck! :)

OP I feel your pain. I too am a NP who is seeking to go back to school for more knowledge and a better license. I have not taken any prereq's, and it has been about 10 years since HS, 6 since my BSN, and 2.5 since my MSN.

I am overly optimistic and hopeful that as long as I don't embarrass a school for accepting me with whatever my mcat score will be, I will get in. I am not able to take prereq's currently since I am overseas but I will if things don't work out this cycle. I take the mcat in April and the studying is kicking my butt. I am using examkrackers and it is great, I have just forgotten so much. I am fine on the VR and I think I can swing the BS, you probably can too with your background. I decided this week that I am going to look for a tutor to help teach me some of the info and to help me with the problems, lol.

PS- to all those who want to rain on my hopes, don't. I know my odds and how unlikely it will be to get in. It is my only option for this cycle and I am not getting any younger.

Wait you are applying this cycle without taking prereqs? Are you crazy? A good mcat score plus being an NP are not going to be a ticket into med school. The prereqs are just that- you have to take them to be considered for admission. Why would you waste money applying without even taking them?

Hmm. Caroline girl, I think I'm a bit confused. Have you truly not taken some of the prereq's before? If so, I'm not sure any school will accept you unless you can show you will complete the prereq's before matriculation. If it's just a matter of "it's been a long time since Ochem and physics" then studying on your own should be fine.

I think perhaps before you spend a lot of money (unless you're independently wealthy it seems like a LOT of money) applying to med school, please be sure to check with your potential schools to see if they'll even look at your app without the appropriate classes on your record (or the age of your prereqs). I certainly understand the thing about 'not getting any younger', but there's also something to good planning.

good luck.

I am currious, Carolinegirl and Medfoundme, if you guys are already NPs, why are you going back to school to get the MD? It just seems like a lot of time and money to waste especially if you are going to be a PCP.

In terms of the MCAT, i did kaplan but also used the exam cracker books. The EK books were a lot more concise and I would recommend them. The easiest way to do well is study hard (obviously) and also do a lot of problems. Make sure to do a couple full lenght tests under time constraints and on the computer if you can. It is strange how just doing problems (and figuring out why you got them wrong) will raise your score significantly.

I second shyrem's comment. If you have not taken the pre-recs you have to take them. It's not really optional. Good luck guys.

I am only applying to one school, it is a good state school that does not require prereq's. And, yes I have double and triple checked that I can apply like this. I have talked with the admit people there. I have had orgo 1, but no physics, gen. chem, or basic bio. I have taken micro and a/p in the past. I won't restate my reasons for doing this way here, you can read on some of my early posts.

I decided to go back to school b/c in my work (overseas medical missions work) NP's and PA's just are not recgonized and it has not been possible to help as much as I would like. In addition to this I have just found that I desire to know more and to have more freedom in my practice of medicine. I will probably return overseas once I have finished but I am not sure if FP is what my speciality will be. I am really interested in EM stuff as I have some disaster relief experience and would like to do more with that. Plus I figure I already have a FP base so why not get something else.

PM on the way...

I am looking at some stuff from 2000 (kaplan books and Gold Standard) but have the newest Exam Kracker stuff on the way. Can't get myself to part with $1600 for Kaplan just to provide the study guidelines and structure. I'll just carry the EK book everywhere I go.

Everything you said is nearly identical to my situation too. Nearly the same yrs out of school. I took all 8 premed sciences back in 1998, and that stuff was hard to remember for the tests back then, much less now. Good luck getting in. The next 90 days are going to suck for the both of us...

Make a contigency plan and a time line for studying and study smart. Know your learning methodology. Since you have not dealt with the pre-req material in a while, it might be best to review at a liesurely yet thorough pace to make sure you understand the concepts, put in enough practice time and sharpen your techniques as best as you can before taking the MCAT.

Thank You.

I am currious, Carolinegirl and Medfoundme, if you guys are already NPs, why are you going back to school to get the MD? It just seems like a lot of time and money to waste especially if you are going to be a PCP.

In terms of the MCAT, i did kaplan but also used the exam cracker books. The EK books were a lot more concise and I would recommend them. The easiest way to do well is study hard (obviously) and also do a lot of problems. Make sure to do a couple full lenght tests under time constraints and on the computer if you can. It is strange how just doing problems (and figuring out why you got them wrong) will raise your score significantly.

I second shyrem's comment. If you have not taken the pre-recs you have to take them. It's not really optional. Good luck guys.

I'm going back because it's really what I wanted all along, and I'm tired of the daily torment. Not knowing how much you don't know is quite an unsettling feeling. I feel like I'm going to a tank war with a bb gun every time I walk into a room. I need to know more. Now, this fear keeps me very careful and my patients safer. I refer quickly, test comprehensively, and it's saved some peoples' lives. In fact, I see more patients and I screw up a lot less than the docs I work with. I'm sure that statement will catch some flame but it doesn't matter. It's absolutely true, no matter what anyone says about training, status, blah blah. I practice right next to one every day and hear everything they do. Now that wouldn't really bother me that much because eventually all the patients will learn this and come to me. But, I get paid about 25% what they do. When I learned that, I just couldn't take it any more.

My plan is to find a rural hospital that has a hard time recruiting docs to pay me about 4K/month through med school in return for four years at their hosp when I'm done. Couple that with my state's rural primary care student loans (which pay all tuition, fees, plus another $1500/month to live on) that I don't have to pay back if I go rural and that pretty much fixes any problems I had about the money part. And, if I double board in IM/EM I'll have options of primary care, ED, or further specialize when I'm done with the obligations.

Now if it weren't for that %#$#$&$ MCAT....