Nontrad, worried about GPA, need great advice to improve application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coffee_addict77

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I have been studying for the MCAT for a while now (6+ months). My original test date was on 3/27 but was recently rescheduled to 5/9 due to the pandemic. I am debating whether I should apply to Masters for 2020 admissions while applying for DO applications at the same time. I am really concerned about my uGPA. This is my story:

Academics:
uGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.1

MCAT score: none (last 4 practice scores are 508, 510, 506, 515) worried that my score might be lower now due to pandemic.

Research Experience:
McNair's Scholar- worked in an addiction lab for 3 years, presented at 3 regional and national conferences (one included at Harvard Medical School)

Clinical Experience:
Medical Scribe at a surgery clinic (5 months)
Medical interpreter/assistant as a part of mission trip to the third world country (about 500 hours, did it for 4 years)- I taught people how to floss, translated between patients and doctors, assisted with acupuncture, etc
Floor Assistant and Clinical Rounder at a Emergency, orthopedic and cancer floor at a hospital (about 60 hours)- went into each patient room rounding, worked directly with pharmacist to deliver oxygen tanks, assisted nurses, etc)
Clinical Navigator for several clinics at a hospital (about 100 hours)- screen families and children of their social needs (transportation, security, food, and other basic needs) and connect the resources with families

Community Experience:
Student Intern abroad educating people about abortion rights, sanitation, etc in rural areas
Volunteer at Restoration Health Ministries working with homeless, help prep meals, etc

Leadership Experience:
CoFounder and Vice president of a club (we help reallocate medical supplies from local hospitals and distribute our shipments to third world countries)
Undergraduate teaching assistant for chemistry
tutor for Spanish and psych (4 years)

I have been discouraged to apply to medical schools due to my gpa. My undergraduate GPA is low due to a family emergency that happened, but there is an upward trend from junior year to senior year. I don't have an MCAT score either. Do you think I have a shot at med schools if I were to apply now? Should I do a Masters during my gap year while applying to med schools? Which med schools would I have a shot at?

Thank you so much for your response and I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

So if this was a normal year I'd tell you to do really well on the MCAT and apply DO. You might still be able to do that depending on when they decide to reopen testing centers. However, this is contingent upon you studying while waiting on that to occur. This is PRIME studying time since most of us have nothing else to do.

However, given the pandemic it is possible that you may not be able to get your test results in time for a reasonable application submission date. While DO schools are more lenient with this, we don't know how long this thing is going to last. It's also possible that you might not do well on the MCAT and end up with a lot of application fees for nothing. By then you may not have time to retake the MCAT.

It's slightly late in the cycle for applications to 2020 SMPs, but I applied around this time and got in so it would probably still work. It's usually hard to take the MCAT during the school year since you have so much work to do, and you'd still have to find time between the time you finish and the application year for 2021.

Other than your grades (and lack of MCAT) your application looks very good. With a great MCAT and a solid SMP GPA you might be able to score some low tier MD schools. It's up to you if you want to risk it but due to circumstances 2021 might be a better bet for your application.

Reactions: 1 user
So if this was a normal year I'd tell you to do really well on the MCAT and apply DO. You might still be able to do that depending on when they decide to reopen testing centers. However, this is contingent upon you studying while waiting on that to occur. This is PRIME studying time since most of us have nothing else to do.

However, given the pandemic it is possible that you may not be able to get your test results in time for a reasonable application submission date. While DO schools are more lenient with this, we don't know how long this thing is going to last. It's also possible that you might not do well on the MCAT and end up with a lot of application fees for nothing. By then you may not have time to retake the MCAT.

It's slightly late in the cycle for applications to 2020 SMPs, but I applied around this time and got in so it would probably still work. It's usually hard to take the MCAT during the school year since you have so much work to do, and you'd still have to find time between the time you finish and the application year for 2021.

Other than your grades (and lack of MCAT) your application looks very good. With a great MCAT and a solid SMP GPA you might be able to score some low tier MD schools. It's up to you if you want to risk it but due to circumstances 2021 might be a better bet for your application.
Thank you for your reply! I have started applying to some SMP programs while studying for the mcat. may I ask which SMP program you are currently in? and do you have any recommendations on which school to apply? I have U of Cincinnati, LECOM, Nova Southeastern, and Drexel DPMS so far. How is the SMP working out for you so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am having so many problems with world now that i can truly relate...
I am so sorry about this.

I hope you get some info. Would like to chat sometime...

ALso a non-traditional student in Ghana

Attachments

• 20190829_035631.jpg
    20190829_035631.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 52
What does SMP program refer to?

special masters program. These are programs that are like auditions to medical school as they mirror the first year/two years of medical school classes. Many are taken at medical schools with current students. its way of auditioning for medical schools to show that you can handle it and do well for students with either a low gpa or mcat score. An SMP is likely a program of last resort as a failure to do well would likely be the end of one’s chances of attending medical school.

Hello, so I have been studying for the MCAT for a while now (6+ months). My original test date was on 3/27 but was recently rescheduled to 5/9 due to the pandemic. I am debating whether I should apply to Masters for 2020 admissions while applying for DO applications at the same time. I am really concerned about my uGPA. This is my story:

Academics:

MCAT score: none (last 4 practice scores are 508, 510, 506, 515) worried that my score might be lower now due to pandemic.

Research Experience:
McNair's Scholar- worked in an addiction lab for 3 years, presented at 3 regional and national conferences (one included at Harvard Medical School)

Clinical Experience:
Medical interpreter/assistant as a part of mission trip to the third world country (about 500 hours, did it for 4 years)- I taught people how to floss, translated between patients and doctors, assisted with acupuncture, etc
Floor Assistant and Clinical Rounder at a Emergency, orthopedic and cancer floor at a hospital (about 60 hours)- went into each patient room rounding, worked directly with pharmacist to deliver oxygen tanks, assisted nurses, etc)
Clinical Navigator for several clinics at a hospital (about 100 hours)- screen families and children of their social needs (transportation, security, food, and other basic needs) and connect the resources with families

Community Experience:
Student Intern abroad educating people about abortion rights, sanitation, etc in rural areas
Volunteer at Restoration Health Ministries working with homeless, help prep meals, etc

Leadership Experience:
CoFounder and Vice president of a club (we help reallocate medical supplies from local hospitals and distribute our shipments to third world countries)

I have been discouraged to apply to medical schools due to my gpa. My undergraduate GPA is low due to a family emergency that happened, but there is an upward trend from junior year to senior year. I don't have an MCAT score either. Do you think I have a shot at med schools if I were to apply now? Should I do a Masters during my gap year while applying to med schools? Which med schools would I have a shot at?

check out Goro’s guide for applicants in need of reinvention.

special masters program. These are programs that are like auditions to medical school as they mirror the first year/two years of medical school classes. Many are taken at medical schools with current students. its way of auditioning for medical schools to show that you can handle it and do well for students with either a low gpa or mcat score. An SMP is likely a program of last resort as a failure to do well would likely be the end of one’s chances of attending medical school.
Thanks for the response. How does one decide which of these SMP programs one should apply to?

Thanks for the response. How does one decide which of these SMP programs one should apply to?

look for programs that have guaranteed interviews or spots in mes schools. Otherwise look for programs at a medical school.

Thank you for your reply! I have started applying to some SMP programs while studying for the mcat. may I ask which SMP program you are currently in? and do you have any recommendations on which school to apply? I have U of Cincinnati, LECOM, Nova Southeastern, and Drexel DPMS so far. How is the SMP working out for you so far?
I previously attended Georgetown SMP and I'm currently a 4th year medical student (well we finished 3rd year rotations but the old 4th years haven't graduated yet). The SMP was very helpful for me to understand the speed and the rigor at which medical school operates.

UC, Drexel, and Georgetown are all well known schools and many graduates go on the MD/DO schools. LECOM and Nova are probably going to be more DO exclusive so you might not need those if you're applying to only DO schools anyway.

Academics:

Research Experience:

Clinical Experience:

Community Experience:

Leadership Experience:

Impossible to advise you on chances without an MCAT score, but while the 3.1 sGPA will hurt at my school and some others, if you apply broadly, you should be OK.