Quantcast

MCAT Writing Section. Help!

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + MCAT 520 Challenge™
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCmedschoolapp

Reaction score
I'm stuck at an O in terms of the writing section and it's basically because most of the examples I provide are kind of weak. I know I should have a few current events, historical events and some information about past/current leaders and policies memorized. Does anyone know of any particular examples that they find very helpful and "useable" in many instances?

HakunaMatata22

it means no worries :-)
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck at an O in terms of the writing section and it's basically because most of the examples I provide are kind of weak. I know I should have a few current events, historical events and some information about past/current leaders and policies memorized. Does anyone know of any particular examples that they find very helpful and "useable" in many instances?

This advice is completely anecdotal, so please keep that in mind, but I don't believe your examples need to be true (which I heard after my MCAT). As long as you explain them clearly and concisely and make the relation obvious, you should be fine.

Also, don't sweat too much about the writing section. I scored an N, started freaking out, but my application season hasn't been negatively affected. At all. I've received multiple acceptances to schools where an N was in the bottom 10th percentile of scores they accepted. As long as your secondary essays and personal statement are written well, you'll be fine. Focus on the numerical portion of the MCAT.

:luck:

Last edited:

Hawaiianhost1

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As long as you form an opinion and elaborate with some real-life examples, you should be fine. I certainly did not memorize any historical events, and I am the worst person to ask when it comes to current events. To be honest, you don't need a "database" of information. I wrote about simple topics that I knew well and had experience in - and I managed to get a Q. Just formulate a well-thought-out (and well-worded) opinion, and you should be golden.

DancingThruLife

Reaction score
You can definitely make up scenarios in the writing section. Just make sure that you explain any relevant details so that your logic is clear when it comes to your argument. This doesn't mean that you have to write an essay in scatterbrain mode-- try to be as concise as possible.

The letter score matters somewhat, but definitely not as much as your numbers. Just make sure you are ok/decent on the writing section and you'll be ok. :)

raltima07

Reaction score
You can definitely make up scenarios in the writing section. Just make sure that you explain any relevant details so that your logic is clear when it comes to your argument. This doesn't mean that you have to write an essay in scatterbrain mode-- try to be as concise as possible.

The letter score matters somewhat, but definitely not as much as your numbers. Just make sure you are ok/decent on the writing section and you'll be ok. :)

QFT - just do average in that section and oyur fine

makeyourself

Reaction score
writing section doesn't matter much. I took a power nap during it, rested my brain for the next section. I got an M, and I have not heard a thing about it, and have gotten interviews at half the schools I applied to.

fizzgig

LudicrousSpeed!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
what other people have said here -> i don't think your examples matter too much. what does matter is how clearly you explain yourself and your examples.

make sure to follow the suggested format - these people have to read a million essays and they want to make checkmarks on their paper.
3 paragraphs, 1st=the statement you gave me is clearly true at times. why, just look at my awesome examples. they make it irrefutable that the statement is true for them. 2nd= on the other hand,the statement is not always true. like magic, i have other examples that show the other side of the coin. view them. 3rd= so while in some cases the statement is true, there are some aspects of the situations i presented that disagree with it. here i will explain what these aspects are, what qualifications of that statement you gave me determine whether it is true or not in a given situation. the eeeeend.

Pons Asinorum

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what other people have said here -> i don't think your examples matter too much. what does matter is how clearly you explain yourself and your examples.

make sure to follow the suggested format - these people have to read a million essays and they want to make checkmarks on their paper.
3 paragraphs, 1st=the statement you gave me is clearly true at times. why, just look at my awesome examples. they make it irrefutable that the statement is true for them. 2nd= on the other hand,the statement is not always true. like magic, i have other examples that show the other side of the coin. view them. 3rd= so while in some cases the statement is true, there are some aspects of the situations i presented that disagree with it. here i will explain what these aspects are, what qualifications of that statement you gave me determine whether it is true or not in a given situation. the eeeeend.

This. Go to Google and enter "thesis antithesis synthesis" and follow the path to enlightenment. You either naturally have examples at the ready, i.e. you are a consumer of political and cultural information, or you aren't. All you have to do to nail the median is to answer the questions with which every prompt hits you. There are sample writing samples available out there, I think EK might have some, and there are a few on AAMC's MCAT page I believe as well as all the prompts.