MCAT writing section, saved option.

Started by tqtfx7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tqtfx7

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the MCAT today and did not press saved my essay AT ALL, time ran out on me. Does anyone know if the system do any type of auto-saved, or am I screw over on that particular essay?
 
I took the MCAT today and did not press saved my essay AT ALL, time ran out on me. Does anyone know if the system do any type of auto-saved, or am I screw over on that particular essay?

The same thing happened to me. I don't recall pressing the 'save' button on my first essay before time ran out. I ended up with a 'Q' on the writing section, which means (presumably) that the computer saves whatever text you've typed in the box when time runs out.
 
According to the tutorial, the save button is a redundant button since whatever you have written when you click next is what is saved. I think the AAMC just put it there to make people feel like they can be sure their stuff was saved, but in reality it just leads to anxiety because people wonder if they remembered to save.
 
The save button is there so that if something happens to the computer you're testing on that requires you to restart the test you don't lose your essay. Even then though it seems to be redundant since the test still autosaves what you type on a pretty regular basis, at least on the practice tests.