MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smalj

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions about the MCAT. I am a very non-traditional student ( I am military and go to night school full time), to make a long story short I really have no pre-med advisor. I am planning to take the MCAT in Aug 01 or spring 02. I am quite nervous about it. I can't afford these prep courses that are advertised and I just feel sick thinking about it. I generally do well academically (3.63) but for some reason I just don't think that I am prepared for the MCAT. Does anybody have any suggestions?!?!?

Members don't see this ad.

I know just how you feel. I took the MCAT 17 years after graduating with an undergrad degree in chemistry - didn't work in the sciences during that time. I was VERY worried about how to prepare. A little more than a year before the August 2000 exam, I started studying. Used the Kaplan book, plus
a few work books in physics, general chem and o chem. Then, I studied like a person possessed. I was working, so I got up at 4:30 in the morning and studied - pretty consistently, though not obsessively. I also took a very inexpensive MCAT review class offered by my state's med school. I took the test in August and got a 12VR/11PS/11BS/Q. I am not a genius - it just took work. You can do it too.

I really don't think the actual courses are necessary. Only the books since they put everything you need to know in nice little packages.

I suggest getting the books from veterans. The Princeton Review books are good for verbal and the Berkeley Review books are great for the sciences. Try to find some with as little writing in them as possible from the last user.

Once you got the books, all you need is a nice consistent study schedule.

Oh, and the trick with Verbal is to always time yourself doing multiple passages.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!! In the end it's just another standardized test.
smile.gif

it's all about practice tests. they prepare you better than any number of untimed passages or review problems (of course, you need to do the passages/problems before you can attempt the practice tests). i believe you can obtain them without taking a class, maybe princeton review has them in their material. personally, i felt that the kaplan practice tests were what helped me prepare best for the real thing.