Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chesapeake12

Reaction score
Just took first practice FL exam (3rd party) and got a 488 with no studying. I have completed all prereqs and did well in my classes. During the practice test, I felt like I was experiencing material for the first time and had no clue on many questions. I am curious to know what other people got on their first practice test with no content review and what they eventually received on their actual MCAT. Again, I am curious to hear from those who had no prep what so ever prior to taking their first practice test.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Again, I am curious to hear from those who had no prep what so ever prior to taking their first practice test.

This isn't answering your question, but I don't think this information would be helpful to you at all. People are going to be at different levels taking a diagnostic test, depending on the prereqs they've taken and how they've done in them among other factors.

Reactions: 1 users
This isn't answering your question, but I don't think this information would be helpful to you at all. People are going to be at different levels taking a diagnostic test, depending on the prereqs they've taken and how they've done in them among other factors.
This^^^^^. Plus, results will also vary widely based on which third party test they took. Basically, without content review, the number is totally meaningless.

I'm sure you're a little uptight because you do well in school and think the 488 sucks. You're right, but it doesn't mean anything. I would have told you not to take the test before content review. It's done. Totally forget it. Depending on which third party, it's purpose is to scare you into buying a prep course, setting an artificially low floor to measure your improvement through the course.

Do the content review and then take the AAMC sample test. That will give you an idea of where you are starting from. You'll then be able to measure your progress as you prepare by doing practice questions and periodically taking an AAMC FL. Good luck!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I had taken my diagnostic before at least brushing up on content review, I probably would have gotten a 480. What you learn in your prereqs is so institution and professor dependent, and your content review will help get you on equal footing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just took first practice FL exam (3rd party) and got a 488 with no studying. I have completed all prereqs and did well in my classes. During the practice test, I felt like I was experiencing material for the first time and had no clue on many questions. I am curious to know what other people got on their first practice test with no content review and what they eventually received on their actual MCAT. Again, I am curious to hear from those who had no prep what so ever prior to taking their first practice test.
Thank you!

Studying for the MCAT will be different than ANY sort of studying for college you've thus done. It's on a whole other level.
College of just information regurgitation. That is NOT what the MCAT is.

College was super easy for me, 3.91 GPA.
But I hit a wall with the MCAT. It took me 6 years before I managed to do well.
(I gave up on Med school....until I witnessed a friend similar to my age also work his ass off and motivated me to try again).
My practice MCAT scores was a 4/15. Yes, I was studying the MCAT back when it was on the old system. A 4/15 is like 20%. As bad as it gets basically.

For mcat, you NEED to understand passages. Improving mcat verbal improves every other score because everything is passage based.

The practice tests are VERY CLOSE TO YOUR ACTUAL SCORES.
For me after 6 years of studying/failing:
FL1 = 506
FL2 = 510
FL3 =508
My actual score: 508.

Also, if you're in the middle of the test and you're sure you didn't do well, VOID IT!!!
I voided my test 3 times before scoring my 4th exam. You DON'T want a bad score showing up on your record.

Also use ANKI and download some premade decks.

Last edited:
I think this will be helpful for you as a resource. Good luck!

Last edited:
Never understood why anyone would waste time taking diagnostic test without any content review!

Reactions: 4 users
I think a lot of people like me assumed that college = content review....only to find out that this assumption is wrong after failing over and over again.
Afterall, if someone got a 4.0 in all the prereqs in college, a student may assume that he/she already knows the content.

492 on a diagnostic. Jumped >20 points on the actual after traditional 3 month study schedule over the summer.

A diagnostic score doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. I think its best use is to spark some motivation to study and to get a feel for what the test format is like but don't put stock into the score itself.

I think a lot of people like me assumed that college = content review....only to find out that this assumption is wrong after failing over and over again.
Afterall, if someone got a 4.0 in all the prereqs in college, a student may assume that he/she already knows the content.
Wrong assumption :)

Probably a safe assumption. What other conclusion would you draw????
492 on a diagnostic. Jumped >20 points on the actual after traditional 3 month study schedule over the summer.

A diagnostic score doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things. I think its best use is to spark some motivation to study and to get a feel for what the test format is like but don't put stock into the score itself.
agree, my diagnostic score was nothing like my final result. in some ways I even regret taking a diagnostic and "wasting" an exam

Hey I just wanted to chime in and say start your CARS practice early and stick to it consistently to bring your best CARS self out. CARS takes the longest to improve and you don't want your score to get dragged down too much. To answer your question I took diagnostic with no content review and scored 492 ended up with 515.

it was TPR FL 1

I think a lot of people like me assumed that college = content review

Yeah, I agree that your grade in prereqs doesn't matter, but I think using your MCAT review books as you take those courses is helpful. There were a lot of topics that I got to skip during content review because I used my review books to help study for midterms/finals.

I also think prereqs tend to go more in-depth than the actual discrete content you need to know for the exam. Physics for example was way more straightforward than the mathematical gymnastics college courses like to pull.

Hey I just wanted to chime in and say start your CARS practice early and stick to it consistently to bring your best CARS self out. CARS takes the longest to improve and you don't want your score to get dragged down too much. To answer your question I took diagnostic with no content review and scored 492 ended up with 515.

it was TPR FL 1
I appreciate your advice and I agree with it. I am simply trying to gauge what might be a realistic improvement with a organized, smart and dedicated approach. Thank you for sharing your scores.

I appreciate your advice and I agree with it. I am simply trying to gauge what might be a realistic improvement with a organized, smart and dedicated approach. Thank you for sharing your scores.
The sky is the limit for you bud, do your best and forget the rest.