MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

ELVIS

I took the August MCAT to see first hand what the test was like. Going into the test I knew I was not going to report my scores to AMCAS or AACOMAS.
Why is it that every book I read says this was a bad idea? Do med schools really get so bent out of shape if we do not report all of our scores? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school admissions committee members are people. It would only be human for them to wonder why you didn't report the scores from your first attempt. Their attempt at pondering your motives should not be viewed as something that will get you rejected. If your GPA is good and the MCAT scores that you do report are good, then it is likely that you will be invited for an interview. At that time, it is possible that someone may ask you why you didn't report your first scores. At that time, you would explain to them your reason(s). Since admissions committee members are just people, it is safe to assume that they are willing to believe any legitimate excuse. Furthermore, you may not be the only one who is only reporting their second attempt. It's like they say, "there is safety in numbers."

So just to some up, it is true that they might wonder why you didn't report your first attempt, but it is unlikely that they will reject you only because of that reason.

Shelam
NYCOM, Class of 2002

It is my understanding, but I could be wrong, that even though you held this set of test scores...when you do finally release the next set...ALL scores are reported.

Besides, with all the opportunities to take MCAT sims for free...why would have wanted to blow all that $$?

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

I'm confused about this, too. I applied to just MD schools last year and released my 1st scores, and this year I applied to just DO schools and released my scores to them. However, just my 2nd scores were reported... I'm not sure if they goofed or if that's how it's supposed to be. I thought they were supposed to release them all.