MCCEE score relavant to Matching for IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan Lee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!!

Is MCCEE score important for matching for IMG?

Accordimg to Some of friends, just passing the exam is important, however ,QE1 is important for matching.

But other friends said that MCCEE score is also important for a matching.

Who is correct?

Please advise me! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

mccee is really importent now a days. before 2007 IMG,s were not allowed to participate in first iteration, mccee score was not importent. but now some programs have cutoff scores for mccee, u can check it at carms.ca
good luck

My friends that have been fortunate enough to match in Family medicine and Psych, did not have high scores on their EE.

But I think the case may be the opposite for other specialities were friends told me that hitting 99th percentile on your USMLE's and MCCEE will open doors.

But in the end, it is alittle bit subjective and objective, and that from my life experiences means that one needs some luck as well.

Waiting for March 6th is a bit a crazy right now, wish it was tomorrow.

The more you have that makes your application stronger, the better. But remember, if you decide to write the QE1 prior to application, get a good score! I would also aim my sights higher than "just passing the MCC EE". I would aim to be in the top 30-40% of test takers (along with a strong application) to get an interview.

Program directors use the EE to predict if you'll pass the QE1, of which it is a good predictor. Other PDs (the minority) won't even want to chance it and will require the QE1.

My advice: write the EE, if your mark isn't in that above range, you're best to hold off and study hard for the QE1 and get a good mark to redeem yourself.