MCCQEI and NAC for USMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roosebolton99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applied to residency from USMD recently? Website looks like it says the exam requirements are the QEI and NAC, but honestly I think the site is kinda clunky and hard to understand. Just confirming that my interpretation is accurate. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My understanding is that up until 2026 USMGs are treated by CaRMS as Canadian Medical Graduates, not IMGs. You seem to be reading the requirements for IMGs. NAC should not be required for you as a USMG, and unlike IMGs who must have passed the MCCQE1 in order to apply to CaRMS, you should be able to write the MCCQE1 during your first year as many CMGs do. But do confirm all this. You should be able to either email or call CaRMS. They are normally very helpful. Be aware that the past few years the US Match has been held before the Canadian match and if you match in the US you will be withdrawn from the Canadian Match. This makes it harder to return to Canada. Your chances of matching in the US would be pretty high. Applying only to Canada is a risk, but if you apply to both there is a high chance you may end up in the US.