McDonalds for Work Exp ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hh24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. This probably seems like a silly question, but I would like to know if its appropriate for me to put mcdonalds under work exp, I was there for a few years, accumulated >1000hrs and was promoted to crew trainer. Is this worth putting on my app?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! I'd put that under work experience as you've contributed significant hours there and even promoted!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes absolutely. Working anywhere, especially fast-food places, restaurants, or even at the mall is always important. The customer service and interpersonal skills developed at these types of jobs are invaluable. Many employers, in general, value people who've had jobs at fast-food places, restaurants, or a mall job because you've learned the value of a dollar. I'm sure at McD's you've learned to be quick, interact with customers (especially rude ones), keeping the store clean, money-handling skills, etc. All of that is valuable for any future job, especially dentistry..so yes include that!

Reactions: 3 users
Totally. I worked at school cafe's as a student employee and listed that. If anything, it shows that you weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth!

EDIT: above post has it right. Dentistry is a form of customer service, and showing that you have experience with customers is definitely a plus!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes absolutely. Working anywhere, especially fast-food places, restaurants, or even at the mall is always important. The customer service and interpersonal skills developed at these types of jobs are invaluable. Many employers, in general, value people who've had jobs at fast-food places, restaurants, or a mall job because you've learned the value of a dollar. I'm sure at McD's you've learned to be quick, interact with customers (especially rude ones), keeping the store clean, money-handling skills, etc. All of that is valuable for any future job, especially dentistry..so yes include that!
Totally. I worked at school cafe's as a student employee and listed that. If anything, it shows that you weren't born with a silver spoon in your mouth!

EDIT: above post has it right. Dentistry is a form of customer service, and showing that you have experience with customers is definitely a plus!

Definitely, working at McD's was tough, but I learned a lot! Its nice to hear that you guys understand that experience :)

I mean, I work at a gym and I still put that down. Any work experience = customer service = shows interpersonal skills! ( ´ ∀ ` )

Reactions: 1 user
The title says it all. This probably seems like a silly question, but I would like to know if its appropriate for me to put mcdonalds under work exp, I was there for a few years, accumulated >1000hrs and was promoted to crew trainer. Is this worth putting on my app?
While it's commendable that you gained some valuable real life work experience, I don't think it's appropriate. It doesn't appear to mix well with conservative and noble nature of dental profession.

While it's commendable that you gained some valuable real life work experience, I don't think it's appropriate. It doesn't appear to mix well with conservative and noble nature of dental profession.

I disagree. You shouldn't have to hide the fact that you worked at McDonalds just because it doesn't "mix well [the] conservative and noble nature" of dentistry. That's such an elitist attitude, bleh! Besides, dental school applicants come from all sorts of backgrounds- sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to make ends meet!

what do you mean conservative and noble nature? it is good that college students hold jobs while studying and are willing to work watever jobs they can get their hands on.

I held a campus job that mainly includes washing stuff, taking out garbage, and taking orders <= I consider this to be not noble and conservative. This is no better than Mc Donald cashier and may be worse than crew trainer.

You talk like a privileged student. What were the jobs you held that you put on your app that matched the noble and conservative nature of dental profession?

I disagree. You shouldn't have to hide the fact that you worked at McDonalds just because it doesn't "mix well [the] conservative and noble nature" of dentistry. That's such an elitist attitude, bleh! Besides, dental school applicants come from all sorts of backgrounds- sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to make ends meet!

Exactly, the fact that the person who says this is a current dental student baffles me.

what do you mean conservative and noble nature? it is good that college students hold jobs while studying and are willing to work watever jobs they can get their hands on.

I held a campus job that mainly includes washing stuff, taking out garbage, and taking orders <= I consider this to be not noble and conservative. This is no better than Mc Donald cashier and may be worse than crew trainer.

You talk like a privileged student. What were the jobs you held that you put on your app that matched the noble and conservative nature of dental profession?

Now now, let's not start throwing out crazy accusations and and turn this into a flamewar. He/she was entitled to their opinion and you should just respect that.

PS people sure do get worked up really easily on these forums sometimes. :p

Last edited:
The admissions people know that high school and college kids work at places like McDonalds. They don't expect to see jobs as CEO's on applications. What is important is that you stuck with a sucky job for a few years, did a good enough job to get promoted and showed leadership skills. Where you did that really is irrelevant.

There should be no question as to whether or not this goes on your app. These kinds of jobs are tough and at times demoralizing. The fact that you stuck with it for that long in my opinion shows a lot of resilience. Be proud of your accomplishments and whenever you're on the fence about something even after exhaustive research, just go with your gut. Good luck friend.

Noble nature? You are what is wrong about professional schools.

Think about this..

If you didn't put it on your application, then they're going to think what the hell have you been doing with all your extra hours?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply to this thread. :) I can see where people are coming from when they say Mcdonalds doesnt seem to match up quite right with dentistry, which is why I created this thread to get some opinions. But like many others have said, I do believe that the time and effort that I put into my job, and the people skills I learned are valuable in many professions. I really appreciate all the input!

Hi hh24
I came to this late but I have to respond.
I work in a program training young dentists just out of school.
One of the common issues I see with these bright young adults is a lack of practical life/work skills. If you can work with the public in McDonalds you will be a star performer in the patient management department. Also do not under estimate the hand skills and practical knowledge you gain in a "real job" like MickeyD's. As an old baby boomer, I just assume that everyone has baited a hook, cleaned a fish, dressed a chicken, skinned a rabbit etc. BUT my millennials have not. So when I hand a new dentist a #15 blade and ask them to go cut on human they have no idea where to start.
In short... BE PROUD of you work experience!

Yes add it. Also, don't get angry at studentdent00 - he just trolled many of you quite successfully. Turn on your :banana: detectors next time.

Hi hh24
I came to this late but I have to respond.
I work in a program training young dentists just out of school.
One of the common issues I see with these bright young adults is a lack of practical life/work skills. If you can work with the public in McDonalds you will be a star performer in the patient management department. Also do not under estimate the hand skills and practical knowledge you gain in a "real job" like MickeyD's. As an old baby boomer, I just assume that everyone has baited a hook, cleaned a fish, dressed a chicken, skinned a rabbit etc. BUT my millennials have not. So when I hand a new dentist a #15 blade and ask them to go cut on human they have no idea where to start.
In short... BE PROUD of you work experience!

No such thing as late! :) Thank you for your feedback - Great points made, especially about the hands-on skills. I agree that our younger generation did grow up more "privileged" so to say with all the new technology and what not making lives easier haha