1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

McDonalds Question Holla

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DRANTWAN, May 5, 2004.

1. DRANTWAN

DRANTWAN Member
    7+ Year Member

Ive got kind of a stupid question. Will Adcom's look down upon me because I worked at McDonald's during college? I had to have a job to pay for tuition. But alotta peeps made fun of me for workin there. So what do you all think? Is it degrading do you think..a college educated peep workin at mickey D's?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Put it! It's not degrading, it shows you have character! In fact, I'd try to get a LOR from your supervisor.

4. CaMD

CaMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Put it down. I bet the experience could be an interesting thing to discuss at interviews. Seriously!

5. twinklz

twinklz Lover of Lagomorphs
    7+ Year Member

I concur. You were making honest money, and I think anyone would repsect that.

6. Lion-O

Lion-O Sight beyond sight.
    7+ Year Member

What a great post! It's funny you say that, because I worked at Burger King for four years (2 in high school, 2 in college). Not only did I list it on AMCAS, but I also used it in a secondary essay.

I think it shows that you don't feel you're too good to have a normal, minimum wage job. It also shows that you can relate to a variety of people, at all class levels.

I don't think it hurt my application at all, but nobody ever brought it up at an interview. Good luck!

7. kinetic

kinetic Membership Revoked
    Removed

It depends. You should stop using "holla" and "peeps".

8. Fumoffu

Fumoffu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Put it down. It shows you worked for your education.

9. Jamaican MD

Jamaican MD G.I.T.
    7+ Year Member

Nothing wrong with anyone making an honest living.

10. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

how often do happy meal toys alternate?

11. kinetic

kinetic Membership Revoked
    Removed

Low blow! Below the belt!!

12. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

seriously wondering

they had espn video games last week

REAL video games! when i was a kid we got little plastic figurines of batman.

13. Friday

Friday TGIF
    5+ Year Member

to add to that question:

on amcas they ask you to list 'significant experiences/work' etc. Do you think you should add mickey D's and the like if you already have other EC's, awards, internships, work experience etc (ie. McD's was supplemental).

Pros: it will show you have 'real world skills' (college proff told me this). also, it would be an indicator/proof that you had to work to get yours, therefore may not have had as much time for academics, research or EC's as others.

Cons: If you have a whole bunch of other activities and you already explained your socio-economic situation, isn't it possible that you will just be 'overcrowding' your AMCAS with the possibility of something else not being given its due attention?

14. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Definitely, put it. I used to work in the commons area serving fast food at my college. It was almost like working in a cafeteria, the type of job that people looked down on. I didn't care so I listed it, and even got a good letter of rec from my supervisor.

It helped me out and wasn't really mentioned in my interviews although I would bring it up saying how I enjoyed the customer interaction.

Putting it can only help you. :thumbup:

15. Perrin

Perrin sittin in the morning sun
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've worked at Burger King, the local Chicken Shack, and at Domino's Pizza. They are some of the most fun jobs I have had. There isn't any pressure, lots of free food, and you get to meet some of the coolest people.

At Burger King, I had a guy try to sell me a used car battery at the drive thru. Sorry, my battery is fine. :confused:

As a pizza guy, a girl answered the door naked. Thanks for choosing Domino's, no tip necessary. :thumbup:

Working at these places shows that we are just as normal and human as the rest of society. It keeps you from being an arrogant prick.

16. curlycity

curlycity Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I like your sig...

Don't worry about the haters, you're on your way now.

Not everyone in medicine came from a silver spoon background, and you never know which Ph.D. or MD is going to want to commiserate with you in your interview about burger-flipping. As long as you show it as a 'honest day's work' instead of something you're ashamed of, it will contribute to your application.

17. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Cold as Ice
    7+ Year Member

Since I graduated in December, I've been working in a gas station. It was all post-application though. It will be fun to mention during the first few weeks of medical school.

18. Entol

Entol Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with curlycity.

I worked at McDonalds for 3 yrs and put it on my app. 3 interviewers-- not kidding you-- noticed it and mentioned they had worked in whatever fast food restaurant themselves. It isn't the key to getting "the in" during an interview, but it shows hardwork and dedication. It also adds to your other accomplishments in college, like maintaining a high GPA, mcat score, doing research, etc while working 30-40 hours a week in a non-academic job.

-Entol

19. docjolly

docjolly On Cloud Nine, Once Again
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    DRANTWAN,

Don't ever be ashamed of doing something honest. There is nothing wrong with working to pay for your education. So what if you worked at McDonalds? If anything, I think medical schools will appreciate your experiences and will enjoy knowing how it has affected you as a premed. student.

20. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    REPRESENT! I never worked fast food but damn i've worked in a lot of restaraunts!

21. NDESTRUKT

NDESTRUKT Fadeproof
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i worked at boston market and i hated it. i didnt' put it on my app either - not cuz i was embarassed but because it was in 11th grade.

22. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Put it down, if anything it will be a boon to your application. At the very worst its a nonfactor.

23. BerkeleyPremed

BerkeleyPremed Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'd put it down. No one can blame you for earning an honest living and trying to pay your own way through college. If anything, the interviewers should admire you for working hard to pay your own way. It's really nothing to be ashamed of. I agree with what other posters stated above when they said that it shows real world experience and proves that you don't think you're too good to get your hands dirty..er..well greasy..j/k.. :D

Don't sweat it man. Adcoms will know that you had to shoulder another burden in addition to the regular college workload of classes, extra-curricular activities, volunteer work, etc. Any hard work you put into anything (be it studying for an O-chem exam or serving salads at a restaurant) is nothing to be ashamed of. Best of luck to you. :)

24. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

just be glad it was a naked girl instead of a man with shotgun [this has happened]

25. BerkeleyPremed

BerkeleyPremed Membership Revoked
    Removed

The girl wasn't even wearing a towel??? Wow...lucky you. Fock..there must've been an orgy at her place.

26. DRANTWAN

DRANTWAN Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the responses. I talked to my premed advisor a couple hours ago and asked him if I should put it on my application. He looked at me funny and said "no" that it wouldn't help me get in. I have a high gpa and good MCAT. It really pisses me off because I've had to work hard to pay for all of my education and that old man tells me not to put it on.

27. Iownhonda

Iownhonda Member
    5+ Year Member

Alright, how about a bouncer? I worked as a bouncer at my college pub for 2 months... should I put this in my application ?

28. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    dude, premed advisors dont know jack seriously. I think they are often do more harm than good because they really have little clue about whats going on.

29. supersunny

supersunny 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    i worked at taco bell and you bet your ass i'm putting it on my applications.