MCG anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck in Georgia guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I recieved a rejection letter today in the mail. I guess I will have to try again next year. I wish you guys the best of luck on your acceptances at MCG.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow that sucks... i hope I dont get one too.... was it certified mail as well or just regular mail?

regular,uncertified mail. I picked it up and I knew it wasn't good. Not as bummed as I thought I would be though. I've always wanted to see the world that is outside of Georgia.

Last edited:
Good luck to you over there - remember that there are lots of people with no acceptances yet either (as much as I want to hear from MCG, I'm trying to keep that in mind)

At this point, I'm expecting to get waitlisted here at best...

Good luck to you over there - remember that there are lots of people with no acceptances yet either (as much as I want to hear from MCG, I'm trying to keep that in mind)

At this point, I'm expecting to get waitlisted here at best...
with acceptances from penn and columbia, are you still waiting on MCG?

with acceptances from penn and columbia, are you still waiting on MCG?
Absolutely! ...and if I don't get into MCG, I'm very slightly leaning towards temple.

Well, just got mail from them - I got hit by the waitlist hammer :laugh:
Oh well. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Absolutely! ...and if I don't get into MCG, I'm very slightly leaning towards temple.

Well, just got mail from them - I got hit by the waitlist hammer :laugh:
Oh well. Good luck to everyone!

well from what i hear the waitlisted people still have a pretty good shot. but what do i know...:cool:

good luck!!

Does anyone know if they are sending out any more acceptances or just waitlist and denials...

i still havent heard anything... I want in sooooo bad!

Oct 31st, God I hope so... when did u guys interview?

i interviewed on Nov 7th....
finally got my rejection letter :mad:

I don't understand how MCG picks their applicants..I know a girl who has a 3.3 gpa with a 17AA and a 18P and she got in...and I also know of a guy who has a 3.7 with a 20/19 and didn't get in....
Frustrating!!..my stats are along with the guy's so I really dont get it...
I've also heard the interviews do not weigh as heavily as your actual application/gpa/dat score..

Any answers?

Members don't see this ad :)
she is probably from a town that needs dentistrym that is a big factor too. Maybe she is a second time reapplicant, i don't know for sure, i am just guessing! i haven't heard anything yet

I got my waitlist notification today from Dr. Hanes....bummer but oh well i thought it was interesting they sent an average GPA and DAT score for this class. I'm still not entirely sure if they actually filled all the spots yet but it states that they have on my letter. does anyone know what the max for this class was suppose to be i thought ~ 60....best of luck to everybody.

I got my waitlist notification today from Dr. Hanes....bummer but oh well i thought it was interesting they sent an average GPA and DAT score for this class. I'm still not entirely sure if they actually filled all the spots yet but it states that they have on my letter. does anyone know what the max for this class was suppose to be i thought ~ 60....best of luck to everybody.

I was told they were going to try to have 67 or so students this year. I got waitlisted too. Does anyone know how many people on avg get waitlisted?

i interviewed on Nov 7th....
finally got my rejection letter :mad:

I don't understand how MCG picks their applicants..I know a girl who has a 3.3 gpa with a 17AA and a 18P and she got in...and I also know of a guy who has a 3.7 with a 20/19 and didn't get in....
Frustrating!!..my stats are along with the guy's so I really dont get it...
I've also heard the interviews do not weigh as heavily as your actual application/gpa/dat score..

Any answers?

Hey I think we were at the same interview!? To be honest I think that the interview does weigh pretty heavy because my stats are not the highest either and I got the call from Dr. Hanes a couple days ago with my acceptance. My grades and test scores are pretty average...3.4 GPA, 17 AA 20 PAT....but i really think that my experience, letters of rec, and interview made a HUGE impact on my accceptance. Good luck to everyone!

I interviewed on Oct. 31, received rejection letter on 12/18, and currently trying to figure out what else I can do to become a more competitive applicant for MCG other than retake my DAT. For those of you who applied for fall 2009, do you mind listing your ECs, amount of shadowing, work-related or research experiences that you think helped you to be a competitive applicant? Thanks guys!!!:confused:

Hey I think we were at the same interview!? To be honest I think that the interview does weigh pretty heavy because my stats are not the highest either and I got the call from Dr. Hanes a couple days ago with my acceptance. My grades and test scores are pretty average...3.4 GPA, 17 AA 20 PAT....but i really think that my experience, letters of rec, and interview made a HUGE impact on my accceptance. Good luck to everyone!

Hey-Might I ask who you were at the itnerview? I don't remember all the names, but def. can remember the faces or where you were from...

As far as my interview, I think both of them had went really well; I felt like I connected with them and I answered all my questions thoroughly and articulated well; so I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong...

TaRhonda. I attended Paine College (across the street from MCG) for undergrad. Same here with the interview. I think that both of them went really well! As far as how they go about choosing who they will accept, I assume that the applicant pool was very competitive this year. In January I plan to meet with them to talk about how I can become more competitive for next year. What about you? Any other acceptances or was MCG your only choice as well?

Hey-Might I ask who you were at the itnerview? I don't remember all the names, but def. can remember the faces or where you were from...

As far as my interview, I think both of them had went really well; I felt like I connected with them and I answered all my questions thoroughly and articulated well; so I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong...

I was the only girl there that already graduated and went to Georgia State. As far as the interview, im not %100 positive on how much the interview weighs, but im pretty sure that they are looking for the "whole package"....how much experience do you have with dentists (and not just "observing" one dentist for one day), which can make a difference with the quality of your letters of recommendation, and your extracir. You can have the highest grades and tests scores, but if you're not well rounded, you won't be as competitive as someone who may have a slightly less gpa who worked a full time job and still participated in school activities, etc. Just my thoughts...:D

Thanks! Nope, a first time applicant with a bachelors in Bio.

Received call from Mrs. Perry on Dec 1st and certified acceptance letter arrived Friday, De 5th. My interview was in mid-September so I don't think timing of the same matters. Currently working on collecting teeth for prelabs and endodontics as well as getting my immunization updated. Very important to start the Hepatitis B vaccination now since it takes about 6 months to complete. Congrats to everyone else who got in. We'll see u during orientation in August '09. Enjoy the holidays.

Denied

I dont get it, uga, 3.73 gpa, 3.59 sci, 20/18 dat, thousands of hours of clinical experience, and i worked as a healthcare consultant... interviews went great

so confused guys, congrats to everyone that got in, but I just dont know what else I need to do, maybe go get a masters? im about to be 25 so this is very depressing

Denied

I dont get it, uga, 3.73 gpa, 3.59 sci, 20/18 dat, thousands of hours of clinical experience, and i worked as a healthcare consultant... interviews went great

so confused guys, congrats to everyone that got in, but I just dont know what else I need to do, maybe go get a masters? im about to be 25 so this is very depressing
Sorry to hear about that. I would call MCG and just straight up ask what you need to improve...they should be able to give you some pointers.

sorry to hear about that DDS19841984. Did you apply anywhere else? Although getting a masters degree is a good idea, it might not mean an acceptance next year. Your grades are already competitive and some of the students who have been accepted have LOWER scores than you. You should demand a more thorough explanation when you do speak with Ms. Perry. Just be courteous, but know that answers like "your grades need improvement" or "if you retake your DAT" or "if you gain more experience" is bullsh*t because those less qualified got in. Lastly, maybe you should make a contribution to the school? 5K goes a long way.

Last edited:
I know exactly how your feeling DDS19841984; I'm in the same boat as you..similar GPA/DAT scores...a lot of experience (not only shadowing but several internships in perio/general surgery, working at a dental clinic and a free clinic, etc), great LORs, i thought the interview went pretty well, etc....
Did you apply elsewhere?

yea, i did apply elsewhere... but i waited until sept 25th to take my dat, so i didnt have my apps completed until mid october.. so i think that hurt me

I have since got post dec first interviews to midwestern and Case.

I mean, schools have the right to reject me. Thats ok and I am not angry at them. I hope that when I go talk to the school they will be able to help me understand what I can do to make myself more competitive. Its hard b/c I dont know what else I can do to strengthen my app.

As far as Mrs. Perry goes I had her for my interview and she was awesome! I really felt at ease with her. In fact, at the end of the interview she said "This was a very good interview"

sorry to hear about that DDS19841984. Did you apply anywhere else? Although getting a masters degree is a good idea, it might not mean an acceptance next year. .

i totally agree with this...however, with my situation, i was told that my masters was a huge plus...especially since i was done with it before i even interviewed this year.

i agree with the others in just getting a detailed response on why you were not accepted.

Rejected.

Last edited:
Rejected.

My Profile

• DAT - 19/20/20
  • Science GPA- 3.5
  • A lot of research experience
  • A lot of shadowing
  • Accepted everywhere else I applied (UTMem, UAB, Howard, Meharry)
  • African American
  • And they had students calling me all the time

What the hell? I don't get it.:mad:

Look on the bright side, you got into plenty of other great schools!

Last edited:
The reason why you people with the 3.8 gpa's and LOADS of extracurricular activities most likely didn't get into MCG is because(and I spoke to ms. perry on this) is because the committee believes that you are probably going to get into one of the bigger schools like Columbia or Nova. They don't like to offer acceptances to people who they don't believe are going to commit to coming to MCG. It's weird, I know.

The reason why you people with the 3.8 gpa's and LOADS of extracurricular activities most likely didn't get into MCG is because(and I spoke to ms. perry on this) is because the committee believes that you are probably going to get into one of the bigger schools like Columbia or Nova. They don't like to offer acceptances to people who they don't believe are going to commit to coming to MCG. It's weird, I know.

I think thats a load of crap..(not you Sattimy)..
It is totally unfair to assume people with higher than average GPAs and DAT scores and xtra activities do not want to go to MCG and instead attend one of the bigger schools. It is not right to punish those people just because their stats are higher and they really do want to go to MCG (I know some people who got rejected with higher stats and specifically mentioned in their interviews how enthused they are about attending MCG) so if that really is the reason, something needs to be changed.

That sucks... I did get into Columbia, but I would have gone to MCG over Columbia with no hesitation whatsoever.

How do you get into Columbia and not MCG. Thats crazy.

Last edited:
This cant be the real reason. So this means they are accepting people with lower stats and the 2009 class average DAT and GPAs should be lower. On my rejection letter it said that the Average DAT was like a 19 and that the average GPA was a 3.5 or something. The people they are accepting cant have stats much lower than that. I think thats a bs answer that Ms Perry gave you. I will call tomorrow and get to the bottom of this.

Hey Andre3k, can you keep us updated on what you find out tomorrow? Appreciate it.

You're telling me :laugh:

I would have thought just based on numbers of applicants vs seats I should have had a really good shot at MCG since I got into the 3 northern schools with much more competition... but oh well. Penn was my #1 choice after all the interviews anyway, so I'm not completely disappointed. Just going to be super expensive :scared:

not sure if it mattered, but i made sure that i told them that they were my number one choice no matter where i got into. when mrs perry called me on the first, her first question was, "what other schools are you looking at?". naturally i said none, and the offer was made.:cool:

Welcome to MCG! I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point during our training. I hope you guys are as excited as we (SOM) are!

Welcome to MCG! I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point during our training. I hope you guys are as excited as we (SOM) are!
you bet man...looking forward to it!

does anyone know if people are declining spots to MCG? and if so when the waitlisters are suppose to hear any news about it?

i know of 2 waitlisters that got the call about 2 weeks ago
Good to hear.

When I told my dentist that I got waitlisted, he gave me a bit of a pep talk and said not to lose hope (he was accepted as an alternate to MCG) We'll see what happens... congrats to anyone else that has made it through the gauntlet we all have to face :)

I spoke with Mrs Perry yesterday and she said that they overfilled their class with 71 and now they are only planning on accepting 64. She said that for now they won't send out any more acceptances until they get to that number. I think she said they are at about 66 or 67 right now.