MCG (athens Parnership) vs Western Michigan (Help me hive mind...)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nedsson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never figured I'd be in this spot but somehow managed to get accepted to 4 schools. Narrowed it down a bit but...until this year MCG would have been the dream, but (I'm a married nontraditional) my wife's father had a health scare and she desperately wants to move closer to her parents.

MCG athens pros:
Significantly lower tuition (even after a small scholarship@ WMed) 30k vs 43k

Live there already/ don't have to move

Associated with established school, decent matches w/ lots of primary care

MCG athens cons;
Rotations are more scattered throughout the area, no level one trauma center

Worked in the local hospital for years, may be hard for some staff to treat me like any other student

No simulation center

Far away from wife's family in Michigan.

Only local residencies in Internal Medicine (although MCG in Augusta has a residency in most specialties)

WMed pros:
Near my wife's family in Michigan

Awesome simulation center

In-town clerkships, including at level one trauma center where associated residency programs are.

Great first match w/lots of surgery, EM, IM (EM and IM are my 2 primary interests)

Really loved my interview day there...everyone was so personable

WMed cons:

Less established (although the residency programs have been there for years associated with MSU)

Higher cost (I figure about 90k overall difference)

Have to move across the country

Only one match to represent their program

Members don't see this ad.

Wmed is not going to open up any additional doors compared to MCG. For IM and FM you should be able to match from any school so it doesnt matter that much.

Reactions: 1 user
Wmed is not going to open up any additional doors compared to MCG. For IM and FM you should be able to match from any school so it doesnt matter that much.

I'm interested in Emergency (EM) or IM though...still the same thoughts? (great najeeb pic, btw:thumbup:)

I'm interested in Emergency (EM) or IM though...still the same thoughts? (great najeeb pic, btw:thumbup:)
Yeah. Shouldn't matter. I personally thought they were charging too much. But it's nice to have the mises happy since you will be too busy. Is that worth 100k plus interest. That's up to you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts are the same as above - residency matching and general program doesn’t seem too different. Bummer that WMed costs more, but you won’t be able to move once you start and med school is 4 years so that’s a long time for the wife to travel to Michigan alone (with its own costs) and to live away from family.
I guess I would consider how you think the next 4 years with her fathers health scare might shake out - how much of a life span will he have left? Will your wife need to be a caretaker or provide respite if her mother becomes a caretaker to your father in law? Does your wife have siblings who are in MI and would be able to care for her father if your wife’s parents aren’t together or her mother is deceased or not very healthy anymore.

My thoughts are the same as above - residency matching and general program doesn’t seem too different. Bummer that WMed costs more, but you won’t be able to move once you start and med school is 4 years so that’s a long time for the wife to travel to Michigan alone (with its own costs) and to live away from family.
I guess I would consider how you think the next 4 years with her fathers health scare might shake out - how much of a life span will he have left? Will your wife need to be a caretaker or provide respite if her mother becomes a caretaker to your father in law? Does your wife have siblings who are in MI and would be able to care for her father if your wife’s parents aren’t together or her mother is deceased or not very healthy anymore.

Yeah. I think the thing that is so hard about this decision is that it pits objective advantages against subjective ones. The money seems like a big deal to me, but I guess her getting to spend some time with her father over the next 4 years could be priceless (there is other family living near them, so its not like they are without resources or need caregivers...I think she is mostly just scared that she'd forever regret not being there if he passed away while we lived in GA)

Yeah. I think the thing that is so hard about this decision is that it pits objective advantages against subjective ones. The money seems like a big deal to me, but I guess her getting to spend some time with her father over the next 4 years could be priceless (there is other family living near them, so its not like they are without resources or need caregivers...I think she is mostly just scared that she'd forever regret not being there if he passed away while we lived in GA)
Yeah, I can see how the stress of being away might just eat at her over the 4 years. When you’re 20 years away from that money not making a big difference in your lives, it’s hard to pass up, but I think ultimately the two of you could really regret having that money in the bank and not needing to spend it, and wondering just how valauable the family time (these next 4 years) would have been.

(These observations just coming from me with a grandparent who died with 500k in the bank after a long time of suffering effects from years of smoking and alcoholism. My mom says she would’ve took all the grandkids to Disney every year instead of my grandma who gave us like $15 Christmas gifts. The point is, one day you will have the money around, it’s just hard to say goodbye to the money now because it’s so many years, kids, and unknown other debts away).

Never figured I'd be in this spot but somehow managed to get accepted to 4 schools. Narrowed it down a bit but...until this year MCG would have been the dream, but (I'm a married nontraditional) my wife's father had a health scare and she desperately wants to move closer to her parents.

MCG athens pros:
Significantly lower tuition (even after a small scholarship@ WMed) 30k vs 43k

Live there already/ don't have to move

Associated with established school, decent matches w/ lots of primary care

MCG athens cons;
Rotations are more scattered throughout the area, no level one trauma center

Worked in the local hospital for years, may be hard for some staff to treat me like any other student

No simulation center

Far away from wife's family in Michigan.

Only local residencies in Internal Medicine (although MCG in Augusta has a residency in most specialties)

WMed pros:
Near my wife's family in Michigan

Awesome simulation center

In-town clerkships, including at level one trauma center where associated residency programs are.

Great first match w/lots of surgery, EM, IM (EM and IM are my 2 primary interests)

Really loved my interview day there...everyone was so personable

WMed cons:

Less established (although the residency programs have been there for years associated with MSU)

Higher cost (I figure about 90k overall difference)

Have to move across the country

Only one match to represent their program

To make things even more complicated...I just got offered a full tuition scholarship to Nova Southeastern's new Allopathic school. I'm really not sure where I should go. Discussed MCG and Wmed in OP. Obvious cons at NSU allopathic; new program, no residencies through the school.
But, equally obvious pros; good location, free tuition... need some expert help. What do you think everyone? Your input on all 3 options would be appreciated @Goro

Lol good luck figuring this out! Through all the stress of it, remember that this situation is the greatest problem you’d hoped for a year ago when you were prepping for the app cycle. Staying grateful is hard.

I think she is mostly just scared that she'd forever regret not being there if he passed away while we lived in GA

I think this is the most important thing. The way I imagine it, obviously I don't know you people, but if my husband chose to go to school far away, knowing that my father was sick, I would probably still be pretty understanding... at this time. However, years down the road, I could see resentment festering and building and coming to a point where the marriage would fall apart (again, complete conjecture here, but I'm coming up with worst case scenario). It's kind of a no win situation for everyone, right? If you go to school in Florida or Georgia, your wife could stay in Michigan to spend time with her father, but both of you would probably be unhappy being apart from each other (and the first two years of med school is tough especially without support). If you go to school in Michigan, you might resent having to take out a bunch of loans when you could have gone somewhere with a partial or free ride.

For me, personally, money would be of no concern because I wouldn't be making money during this time anyway (forget about the argument of loans and interest and blah, blah). The questions are: what are relationships and human life worth to you? is the scholarship worth putting your marriage and your wife's peace of mind on the line? I'm not saying this to be judge-y, I just think these are the most important concerns and some people do have some kind of monetary threshold where they're comfortable making certain kinds of sacrifices. Again, that's perfectly OKAY. You just have to decide what's right for you.

Has anyone done this before? Would I reach out to admissions or financial aid?
Yes it happens all the time. I’d heavily suggest contacting mcg and WMed and asking if they could match. If you know you’ll go to WMed guaranteed if they match then you should also tell them you’re willing to commit instantly and attend for sure.

FYI on WMed - they said at interview day their best scholarship is half tuition. I think it’s merit based.

Members don't see this ad :)
WMed is doing merit based scholarship reviews again on April 1 the email from financial ed right after acceptance said. Also check your portal for financial aid - missing documents in case some are missing.

Yes it happens all the time. I’d heavily suggest contacting mcg and WMed and asking if they could match. If you know you’ll go to WMed guaranteed if they match then you should also tell them you’re willing to commit instantly and attend for sure.

Send an email to admissions or financial aid?

I do seem to remember that. Still, I'd be willing to make a commitment to attend if they gave half off.
Consider first objectively mentioning your Nova scholarship with the annual amount. Then mention your exact reasons why you are committed to attending WMed. Then, to end your email, ask a direct question for the half tuition merit scholarship prefaced with a written commitment to accept and attend WMed should they offer it.

Consider first objectively mentioning your Nova scholarship with the annual amount. Then mention your exact reasons why you are committed to attending WMed. Then, to end your email, ask a direct question for the half tuition merit scholarship prefaced with a written commitment to accept and attend WMed should they offer it.

What do you think?

Good Morning! My name is __________ and I am an accepted applicant to the WMed class of 2022. I was also recently offered a significant scholarship (full tuition) at another medical school (see attached). However, I really loved WMed for many reasons including; its location in Western Michigan, its amazing simulation center, and its unique small-group curriculum and family feel. It is my understanding that the maximum scholarship at WMed are half-tuition awards, renewable for each year attended. I would therefore like to officially request this level of scholarship at WMed. If such an offer is made, I hereby commit to accept it and to matriculate at WMed as part of the class of 2022.

Last edited:
Idk how these things are worded normally, but in the second to last line I would instead say “I would like to formally request your serious consideration for such a scholarship.”

Because I'd really value the input, and haven't heard from @Goro ...ta

What do you think?

Good Morning! My name is __________ and I am an accepted applicant to the WMed class of 2022. I was also recently offered a significant scholarship (full tuition) at another medical school (see attached). However, I really loved WMed for many reasons including; its location in Western Michigan, its amazing simulation center, and its unique small-group curriculum and family feel. It is my understanding that the maximum scholarship at WMed are half-tuition awards, renewable for each year attended. I would therefore like to officially request this level of scholarship at WMed. If such an offer is made, I hereby commit to accept it and to matriculate at WMed as part of the class of 2022.
are you comfortable going to Nova? I would only recommend doing this if you have completely ruled out attending WMed unless they gave you a financial offer. This would basically be a last attempt of communication to get funding and go there. It could very well end in silence and as this being your last communication with the program. Not everyone is comfortable with risk, but in this case, if you would definitely not attend unless WMed gave you money, then from my viewpoint it would be worth the risk of asking prior to committing to Nova.

Idk how these things are worded normally, but in the second to last line I would instead say “I would like to formally request your serious consideration for such a scholarship.”
I would ask a direct question instead and say....."Is there a comparable WMed financial package that the scholarship committee can offer? If so, I gladly will accept this opportunity and will commit to the WMed class of 2022."

are you comfortable going to Nova? I would only recommend doing this if you have completely ruled out attending WMed unless they gave you a financial offer. This would basically be a last attempt of communication to get funding and go there. It could very well end in silence and as this being your last communication with the program. Not everyone is comfortable with risk, but in this case, if you would definitely not attend unless WMed gave you money, then from my viewpoint it would be worth the risk of asking prior to committing to Nova.
So how should he ask the school for a lot of money but not axe the relationship w/ WMed?

Do you think this would burn bridges?

Good Morning! My name is _______ and I am an accepted applicant to the WMed class of 2022. I was offered a small scholarship for the 2018 year. However, I was recently offered a significant renewable scholarship (full tuition) at another medical school (see attached). Significantly, I really love WMed for many reasons including; its location in Western Michigan, its amazing simulation center, and its unique small-group curriculum and family feel. Is there any increase in my WMed financial award (relative to its current offer) that the scholarship committee can offer, especially on a renewable basis? If so, I gladly will accept this opportunity and will commit to the WMed class of 2022."

Do you think this would burn bridges?

Good Morning! My name is _______ and I am an accepted applicant to the WMed class of 2022. I was offered a small scholarship for the 2018 year. However, I was recently offered a significant renewable scholarship (full tuition) at another medical school (see attached). Significantly, I really love WMed for many reasons including; its location in Western Michigan, its amazing simulation center, and its unique small-group curriculum and family feel. Is there any increase in my WMed financial award (relative to its current offer) that the scholarship committee can offer, especially on a renewable basis? If so, I gladly will accept this opportunity and will commit to the WMed class of 2022."
1- hear anything yet?
2- Still interested after that new acceptance?

Someone liked a comment of mine recently and brought this post back up ahah, figured I'd ask

1- hear anything yet?
2- Still interested after that new acceptance?

Someone liked a comment of mine recently and brought this post back up ahah, figured I'd ask

Didn't see a merit increase, no. Probably still strongly leaning towards WMed, in part because keeping my wife happy is probably more important in the long run than the debt difference (I mean, it's a significant amount, but not the most important thing). I was somewhat concerned about WMed being a newer school, but 2nd look helped. As someone whose clinical career started as an EMT in a trauma center, meeting the director of their EM program at 2nd look made me feel much more excited about my clerkships in Kalamazoo. My waitlist acceptance was to Mercer. I really loved their faculty and campus (its built into a level one trauma center in Savannah, Georgia...one of the most beautiful places on the southeastern coast). I'm considering it, but it would probably be harder to do EM (no residency program there) with less family support for my wife. Going into this process, I'd have never thought I'd even consider choosing WMED over MCG and Mercer, but it's looking that way. I've come to the belief that doing well on boards and clerkships to get the residency I want will mostly be a function of my own effort (and to a lesser degree my abilities and experience) so I think going to WMED won't hold me back in the long run

Didn't see a merit increase, no. Probably still strongly leaning towards WMed, in part because keeping my wife happy is probably more important in the long run than the debt difference (I mean, it's a significant amount, but not the most important thing). I was somewhat concerned about WMed being a newer school, but 2nd look helped. As someone whose clinical career started as an EMT in a trauma center, meeting the director of their EM program at 2nd look made me feel much more excited about my clerkships in Kalamazoo. My waitlist acceptance was to Mercer. I really loved their faculty and campus (its built into a level one trauma center in Savannah, Georgia...one of the most beautiful places on the southeastern coast). I'm considering it, but it would probably be harder to do EM (no residency program there) with less family support for my wife. Going into this process, I'd have never thought I'd even consider choosing WMED over MCG and Mercer, but it's looking that way. I've come to the belief that doing well on boards and clerkships to get the residency I want will mostly be a function of my own effort (and to a lesser degree my abilities and experience) so I think going to WMED won't hold me back in the long run
Matching EM will not be difficult from any MD school, its more of a function of interest in the field and having solid letters etc. But your reasoning for choosing Wmed sounds solid besides that. All my EMT friends also loved the EMT head in that area for some reason.

Matching EM will not be difficult from any MD school, its more of a function of interest in the field and having solid letters etc. But your reasoning for choosing Wmed sounds solid besides that. All my EMT friends also loved the EMT head in that area for some reason.
Only current student I know is also into emergency med. She’s an m2. Join their club when you get there Ned., it sounds like they do fun stuff!

Only current student I know is also into emergency med. She’s an m2. Join their club when you get there Ned., it sounds like they do fun stuff!

No doubt! I probably would anyway, as a former EMT and CCRN...ER people are my peeps. (We like our sense of humor like we like our coffee...dark).

30k/yr. I figure cost of living is 10k higher in Miami though. Also, @Goro has said some concerning thongs about the board pass rate at Nova DO. That wouldn't necessarily affect their MD class, but I have some concerns about their program being new, and some things that seem poorly organized

@Goro has said some concerning thongs about the board pass rate at Nova DO. That wouldn't necessarily affect their MD class, but I have some concerns about their program being new, and some things that seem poorly organized[/QUOTE]
I would probably take Nova just for the sake of weather . But I digress. All of those are solid options and 120 to keep the wife happy is not a bad deal.

30k/yr. I figure cost of living is 10k higher in Miami though. Also, @Goro has said some concerning thongs about the board pass rate at Nova DO. That wouldn't necessarily affect their MD class, but I have some concerns about their program being new, and some things that seem poorly organized
I always will lean to an established school vs a new school, because it takes time for a new curriculum to gel.

I recommend adding up the pluses to each school and see who has the most. Then pick that one and sleep on it.

You also have to consider which you like more: covered dishes and casseroles vs barbecue, fried chicken and sweet potato pie.

@Goro has said some concerning thongs about the board pass rate at Nova DO. That wouldn't necessarily affect their MD class, but I have some concerns about their program being new, and some things that seem poorly organized
I would probably take Nova just for the sake of weather . But I digress. All of those are solid options and 120 to keep the wife happy is not a bad deal.[/QUOTE]
I always will lean to an established school vs a new school, because it takes time for a new curriculum to gel.

I recommend adding up the pluses to each school and see who has the most. Then pick that one and sleep on it.

You also have to consider which you like more: covered dishes and casseroles vs barbecue, fried chicken and sweet potato pie.

When I added the positives up, I think it's still WMed. I really like the opportunity to do clerkships and learn from residents and attendings (hopefully get a boss SLOE too, lol). My assigned MCG campus does not have that, plus it's all PBL (which is a negative for me). Finally, my wife really wants to move to Kalamazoo so we can be near her folks while I'm in school. Ultimately, I think her comfort in that way will help my performance in medical school and on the steps.

MCG is my vote it's cheaper and the schools are very comparable. That being by family is huge and if you think living by your wife's family will help you handle the load of medical school the difference in cost is negligible follow your support system

MCG is my vote it's cheaper and the schools are very comparable. That being by family is huge and if you think living by your wife's family will help you handle the load of medical school the difference in cost is negligible follow your support system

Yeah, MCG was the dream at the beginning of this cycle. Probably the path of least resistance as well. But, I did really like Western Michigan too. And I'd like to succeed in medicine AND still have a happy marriage. So WMed seems the best means to accomplish that!

[QUOTE="You also have to consider which you like more: covered dishes and casseroles vs barbecue, fried chicken and sweet potato pie.[/QUOTE]

I mean, thats an easy one...but if I want to stay fit in medical school I should probably AVOID the fried chicken and barbeque.