MCG vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkie240

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So like everyone else, I could REALLY use some advice with what to do! I got accepted to MCG and Tufts, both seem to be really good schools but im having a hard time on deciding and im not sure if i should just base it on cost. I want to go to the school that i can get the best education, and I would eventually like to specialize. Any advice???

MCG:
located in small town, Augusta, GA
Smaller class size, approx. 60
no competition for patients
Facilities a little older
CHEAP!

Tufts:
Boston!
larger class size
probably 3 times as much in cost
Brand new facilities
block exams

Members don't see this ad.

So like everyone else, I could REALLY use some advice with what to do! I got accepted to MCG and Tufts, both seem to be really good schools but im having a hard time on deciding and im not sure if i should just base it on cost. I want to go to the school that i can get the best education, and I would eventually like to specialize. Any advice???

MCG:
CHEAP!

Tufts:
Boston!
larger class size
Brand new facilities
block exams
Both are good schools, and you can receive the best education at both, and you will have the same chance to go on and specialize from both. So with wanting to specialize, that's X amount of years after DMD school. MORE MONEY!:eek: So if you went to MCG and went on to specialize, you would have a total amount of debt(equal or less) to going to Tufts(without specializing). So the big question is, do YOU care about the cost, if not, feeling adventerous?

MCG:
CHEAP!

Tufts:
Boston!
larger class size
Brand new facilities
block exams

EKKK. Somethings are obvious in life, but not this obvious...

Members don't see this ad :)
While I've heard positive comments about Tufts on this board and not a lot about Georgia, I can't imagine Tufts would prepare you THAT much more than your state school. Unless you really want the experience of living in Boston or felt like you'd fit in better with the students there I don't think you'll regret anything. The price difference is as obvious as it seems, I wish PA had in-state tuition like that. :thumbup:

Thanks guys, all of your advice is really helpful!!! They really are both good schools and it was hard for me to point out too many negative points about either. They're both great clinical schools and you guys are right...im sure one couldn't be that different from the other. The cost is a pretty big deal considering I will be paying for everything myself (with loans of course), and to be able to go to a school for barely $100 K is pretty awesome! Thanks again guys!!