MCG vs UAB vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatiscollege321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been fortune this year and am trying to decide between MCG, UAB, and Georgetown. I have read a few threads with similar debates, but was wondering if anyone had any new opinions or advice on this topic. I have yet to receive any potential financial aid from the schools, but would love to hear people's opinions if money was/wasn't an issue. Here is my current pro-con list with these 3 schools, but I'm sure there is a lot missing. Please correct me if some of the information is not exactly right! I also would love input on how much these schools' rank matters in the long term (ie: residency).

MCG (instate)
Pros:
-Significantly cheaper (~30k per year)
-I am very familiar with the environment (in terms of location and individuals)
-solid match list
-good research
-engaging faculty

Cons:
-I've lived in GA my whole life
-Augusta as a city doesn't seem to offer too much

UAB
Pros:
-great research
-great hospital resources and clinical training
-better ranking
-a lot of students seem to match with UAB residency programs (which has a good reputation)
-solid match list
-Birmingham might be a cool place to live

Cons:
-Very expensive oos tuition (~64k)
-90% of students come from Alabama so I might feel like an outsider (I know its a lame argument)
-I hear step 1 prep is not the best (might just be a rumor), but rather there is a heavy focus on research

Georgetown
Pros:
-great location
-great research
-good ranking and rep
-interesting opportunities in DC (esp for health policy)

Cons:
-Super expensive oos tuition (~65k)
-DC is super expensive to live in adding more $$$
-I heard that gtown is especially tough (medical school is hard as is) and there are rumors of the class being cut-throat (at least I read that on other forums)

Thank you for everyone's time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I have been fortune this year and am trying to decide between MCG, UAB, and Georgetown. I have read a few threads with similar debates, but was wondering if anyone had any new opinions or advice on this topic. I have yet to receive any potential financial aid from the schools, but would love to hear people's opinions if money was/wasn't an issue. Here is my current pro-con list with these 3 schools, but I'm sure there is a lot missing. Please correct me if some of the information is not exactly right! I also would love input on how much these schools' rank matters in the long term (ie: residency).

MCG (instate)
Pros:
-Significantly cheaper (~30k per year)
-I am very familiar with the environment (in terms of location and individuals)
-solid match list
-good research
-engaging faculty

Cons:
-I've lived in GA my whole life
-Augusta as a city doesn't seem to offer too much

UAB
Pros:
-great research
-great hospital resources and clinical training
-better ranking
-a lot of students seem to match with UAB residency programs (which has a good reputation)
-solid match list
-Birmingham might be a cool place to live

Cons:
-Very expensive oos tuition (~64k)
-90% of students come from Alabama so I might feel like an outsider (I know its a lame argument)
-I hear step 1 prep is not the best (might just be a rumor), but rather there is a heavy focus on research

Georgetown
Pros:
-great location
-great research
-good ranking and rep
-interesting opportunities in DC (esp for health policy)

Cons:
-Super expensive oos tuition (~65k)
-DC is super expensive to live in adding more $$$
-I heard that gtown is especially tough (medical school is hard as is) and there are rumors of the class being cut-throat (at least I read that on other forums)

Thank you for everyone's time and help!
I have no stake in any of these schools but if I was in your situation I wouldnt even think twice and choose MCG. The reasons would be that it would be much better financially and based on what you wrote, it sounds like your stress level would be lower therefore possibly allowing you to be a better student. Additionally, the cons listed for MCG don't seem all that legitimate to warrant doubling your tuition and moving away.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI I think Georgetown's tuition is more like 59k, but COL in DC is expensive.

I agree with the other poster about MCG because of cost...

BUT if you're really wanting to move away from home for medical school, I would chose Georgetown. There will be a lot of geographic diversity in your class (I think they said the current first year class has students from 40something different states and multiple countries) so you won't feel like an outsider. Although it is expensive, DC is awesome and Georgetown is a beautiful area of the city. The preclinical curriculum is 1.5 years and there is protected research time. If you are interested in health policy, there are a lot of great opportunities. The patient population is very diverse.

I don't know about Georgetown being "tougher" than any other medical school. SDN seems to have a bad attitude about the school for whatever reason (I think it's the LOI thing). However, I know a friend of a friend at Georgetown SOM and they said they are really happy they chose it and have made many great friends so far.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know nothing about the other two schools.

If you calculate the difference in cost including interest, how much more would it cost you to go to Georgetown? I think their COA is like $91,000 or something outrageous like that.

I haven't heard anything about Georgetown being cut throat. Actually, I've heard it's "collaborative and supportive" (just like every other school also says). Where did you hear that it's cut throat??

I know nothing about the other two schools.

If you calculate the difference in cost including interest, how much more would it cost you to go to Georgetown? I think their COA is like $91,000 or something outrageous like that.

I haven't heard anything about Georgetown being cut throat. Actually, I've heard it's "collaborative and supportive" (just like every other school also says). Where did you hear that it's cut throat??

I believe the total costs of attendance (Cost of living + tuition + interest) falls around 400-450K for 4 years. For MCG this number would be around 150-200K. For UAB it would be around 300-350K.

The statement regarding the school being cut throat came from reading a lot of other threads, but I realize that this may not be completely accurate so I wanted to hear other opinions.

Last edited: