Mcg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any feedback about Medical College of Georgia IM program? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Brother-in-law just graduated the med school there, he recommended me not to apply there....... :thumbdown: so go furure.

Hmmm, thats an interesting post from a pretty relaible source. I'll take that into consideration. GL

I'm a 4th-yr student at MCG. The medicine program is average. If you're going for the name, prestige, or reputation, this isn't the place. However,
about 1/2 go on to do fellowships. 2/3 of residents are FMGs, most of who are not US-born citizens. They are very friendly and quite competent. The faculty are committed to teaching, and 90% of them are easy to get along with. Outside of Atlanta, MCG provides care to most of the state and sees a variety of pathology. There are fellowships in all specialties.
My favorite department is the ID department, whose faculty are excellent to work with.
Augusta, commonly known as 'Disgusta' isn't the greatest of towns.
-It's hot
-Often-times, there is a foul odor to the air
-There is not much big city culture (arts, music, etc), but there's plently of good restaurants, shopping, etc.
-This is a really cheap place to live- (ie -10 y/o, 3 bed-room house in safe area for around 110,000.
I'm doin Med-Peds, which MCG doesn't have. However, if such a program existed here, I'd interview and rank them btwn spots 5-10 (because of the town, not the institution).
Hope some of this info is informative.