Mcgill interviews for US applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarleneM

patent pending
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the interview notifications for u.s applicantsto mcgill went out today. i am so excited to be interviewing january 28th. anyone else going to be there then? i know they only have two days for international applicants so chances are pretty good i'll see some of you there...

judging from last years threads it seems that all the interview invites go out on one day for u.s applicants but i am not positive of that.

Members don't see this ad.

CarleneM said:
the interview notifications for u.s applicantsto mcgill went out today. i am so excited to be interviewing january 28th. anyone else going to be there then? i know they only have two days for international applicants so chances are pretty good i'll see some of you there...

judging from last years threads it seems that all the interview invites go out on one day for u.s applicants but i am not positive of that.

Hey, congratulations!

I haven't heard anything, but I'll be sure to check my mail the next couple days. :) I live farther from Montreal than it looks like you do, so I won't give up hope for a little while longer.

pushkin said:
Hey, congratulations!

I haven't heard anything, but I'll be sure to check my mail the next couple days. :) I live farther from Montreal than it looks like you do, so I won't give up hope for a little while longer.

hey actually the invite i got was via email, dated around 5pm today but i weirdly didn't get it until 9pm or so so that was kind of strange. i hope you get one soon! maybe they'll send out some more tomorrow or in the coming weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I also got notified today, right when they said they would. Funny tho, I was expecting a letter.
I am scheduled for the 31st, but I asked to go on the 28th - and they're gonna try to switch me. So hopefully I'll see you there!

ingamina said:
Hi,

I also got notified today, right when they said they would. Funny tho, I was expecting a letter.
I am scheduled for the 31st, but I asked to go on the 28th - and they're gonna try to switch me. So hopefully I'll see you there!

Congrats! Hopefully they'll let you switch. I only have skirt suit but now i think i better buy a pant suit for this interview. i have neve been to montreal in the winter but have heard its deadly cold.

CarleneM said:
Congrats! Hopefully they'll let you switch. I only have skirt suit but now i think i better buy a pant suit for this interview. i have neve been to montreal in the winter but have heard its deadly cold.

I just got one! Woohoo! Unfortunately they have me scheduled for the 31st and I have plans to go away that weekend. Anyone know if 28,31 are the only two days they are interviewing? Can I ask to switch to Feb 1?

--nevermind just read the info. Apparently there are only two days. Maybe I'll ask to move to 28 as well.

Acherona said:
I just got one! Woohoo! Unfortunately they have me scheduled for the 31st and I have plans to go away that weekend. Anyone know if 28,31 are the only two days they are interviewing? Can I ask to switch to Feb 1?

--nevermind just read the info. Apparently there are only two days. Maybe I'll ask to move to 28 as well.

Congrats to you too!
According to their handbook, they are scheduling all kinds of events for the US applicants over the weekend, and the night before the interview. If you can swing it, you should definitely go that weekend. But they also said they will make exceptions for extereme circumstances - so you should be ok either way.

so it turns out my boyfriend isn't able to take work off on the 28th and he wants to go to montreal with me so i just called to switch to the 31st. the woman has to get back to me about it but looks like there will be an opening on the 28th. if anyone is looking to switch, call the office now!

That's cool - I wonder why they don't ask us to schedule an interview rather than just assign times . . . anyway,
Are you planning to go to any of the events over the weekend?
I have to miss classes on Friday to fly out there, and to get back in time for classes monday, which I have more of, I may need to leave early.

They're asking us to bring 2 copies of our updated C.V.
Any idea what that is?

ingamina said:
They're asking us to bring 2 copies of our updated C.V.
Any idea what that is?

A CV is a curriculum vitae. Its like a resume but for academia. if you want to pm me your email address I can show you mine. Its kind of a pain to make but a great way to keep track of what you've done as you go on in your career.

And yes, I'd like to go to some of the events they have planned for us. I think its great they really like us to make a whole weekend out of it to get to know the area and the students.

Yay! I'm coming too! My interview's on the 28th. I have a Dartmouth interview the day before, so hopefully it will work out to just drive up.

I can't wait. I'm so excited to visit McGill.

pushkin said:
Yay! I'm coming too! My interview's on the 28th. I have a Dartmouth interview the day before, so hopefully it will work out to just drive up.

I can't wait. I'm so excited to visit McGill.

Yay! That works out perfectly with darmouth then. Its not that far (2.5-3 hours tops) from darmouth to montreal, from my experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!

I completed my undergrad at McGill and am applying as a Quebec resident...if anyone has questions about McGill itself or Montreal in general, please don't hesitate to send me a private message and I will help out as best as I can (I think Montreal is the best city in North America and so am always willing to blab on about it...;))

I suppose it's bad news that I didn't get an email from them yet? Bummer...

What are the pros/cons of mcgill? I loved the school when I looked at it for undergrad, but what do you guys think of the med school? what specifically draws you to mcgill? Any input appreciated.

This is a repost from another McGill thread... Some new info I have found out since then: McGill has copied Harvard's curriculum, perhaps to live up to their reputation as the "Harvard of Canada". The only difference is that McGill students hit the hospitals earlier, in January of year 2. Don't hesitate to email me if you need more info about McGill. I will probably miss you guys in Montreal since I am applying as a Quebec resident and our interviews are not until March. I hope you all have a great time in Montreal! Good luck on your interviews!

Originally Posted on 12/15/04

My sister is a Med 2 at McGill and I visited the campus last summer. If you are American, you wil not be impressed especially if you have interviewed/visited an American school. I just came back from Vanderbilt and it's like day and night. Facilities are old, but they are building a new clinical skills lab. I went to a histology class and 10 students were crammed around one computer. Also, keep in mind that about 80 students come from the Med-P program. These kids get into medical school 2 years after high school (after CEGEP) so the maturity level is somewhat lower.

However, there are some upsides to McGill. First, you are awarded the MD, CM degree (doctor of medicine, master of surgery) which is only awarded by a handful of universities in the world. Second, every single patient is a teaching case because of the social medicine program. Montreal is a great city, very cosmopolitan with a European flair. It is quite cold though. You can't beat the price for the reputation. I know it's 23K for foreign students, but that's less than 20K U.S. when you convert. 87% of their graduates match their top residency choice (many in the U.S.) I can't think of anything else right now, but feel free to email me with any questions.

The reason why McGill has more spots for American students than out-of-province students is become McGill receives money from the AAMC (that's what I was told). If you are an out-of-province applicant and willing to practice in an underserved region of Quebec, you should let the admissions office know because that will greatly enhance your chances of getting in (it's a binding agreement though so you can't change your mind).

They say that minimum MCAT is 30, but they did accept less than a 30 last year. Also, the Quebec government told McGill they could add more spots to last year's class so they are now up to close to 200 spots. They even extended admissions to people that had originally been rejected when they found out they were allowed more spots. They are supposed to get more spots this year again.

I hope this helps you guys with the McGill admissions process. I've read that the interview day can be disappointing, but they are working on that. If you are granted an interview at McGill, let me know and I'll try to get my sister or one of her classmates to show you a good time in Montreal.

http://mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2665

Hi,

I am not sure if the following is helpful, but here is my take on McGill that I shared with a fellow SDNer...

I completed my undergrad at McGill (graduated in 2003) and have been working as a research co-ordinator for the past 2 years...As a result, I now qualify as a Quebec resident...I am currently putting the final touches on my McGill application (it is due Jan. 15 for Quebec residents)...

where to begin...I guess my love for Montreal (and by extension McGill) is evident from the fact that two years after the completion of my degree I just cant bring myself to leave just yet! Montreal is very much a liberal, urban bastion...people are extremely open-minded, accepting and quite laid-back compared to most large cities (e.g., NYC, Toronto, Boston etc...)..though it has a population of about 3 million, the downtown area is quite contained and isnt overly intimidating (other than the attractive and extremely well-dressed people...heh...)

McGill itself is mostly awesome...it is located right downtown and so if you stand at the lower part of campus (the med school is further up the mountain) and look towards downtown you see skyscrapers, yet looking behind you, you see a mountain (hence the name Montreal-Mount Royal)...so you get the best of both worlds--nature and a cosmopolitan city...the school has a great reputation, though dealing with the beaurocracy can be a bit annoying at times...

The med school is very diverse...in fact, the class president of friends of mine is VERY much openly gay...as well, the dean or associate dean of students (cant remember which) is openly gay as well...he is phenomenal and often organizes the med infirmaries at circuit parties in and around the city that med students often volunteer at...

In terms of the medical school itself, all 4 years are pass/fail...though you do have the Med-P students (the 60 or so students starting medicine right out of CEGEP [high school]), the class is large enough that it doesnt seem quite as immature as one might think...the med buildings are quite run down, but most of the clinical learning begins during the hospital rotations which begin in January of second year...as well, I think as is common with most Canadian medical schools, when doing your rotations, you get more "hands on" experience...(less chance of a malpractice lawsuit compared with the US..)...

if you have any other specific questions, please feel free to ask! but overall, I think McGill and Montreal are great places and you cant beat the tuition and cost of living...for example, living right downtown with a roomate will set you back $400 CAD per month for a great place (compare that with Boston or NYC)...

Hope this helps!

Montreal is a great city! But Prang is right when he/she says that the cost of living is high (unless if you're from NYC or CA). If you're admitted to McGill and plan to attend, start networking with current students as soon as you can to find an affordable apartment. If you take over someone's lease (even when it is expiring), the landlord cannot increase the rent. The rent can increase by 15% if the apartment is vacant. :eek:

McGill's med school has a great history. William Osler attended McGill and so did Dr Penfield. More complete info on their website www.med.mcgill.ca.

CanuckRazorback said:
Montreal is a great city! But Prang is right when he/she says that the cost of living is high (unless if you're from NYC or CA). If you're admitted to McGill and plan to attend, start networking with current students as soon as you can to find an affordable apartment. If you take over someone's lease (even when it is expiring), the landlord cannot increase the rent. The rent can increase by 15% if the apartment is vacant. :eek:

i'm from boston and compared to that, the cost of living in montreal does not seem high at all.

anyway, random renting question: when i was in montreal last, i saw a lot of apartments advertised saying things like 3 and 1/2, 2 and 1/2 etc along with the price and number of bedrooms. what does that mean? none of us could figure it out....

3 and 1/2 or 2 and 1/2 refer to the number of rooms, with the 1/2 referring most likely to a bathroom. So for example, my apartment in Montreal is a 3 and 1/2. I have a living room, bedroom, kitchen and a bathroom.

Good luck!

ODB said:
3 and 1/2 or 2 and 1/2 refer to the number of rooms, with the 1/2 referring most likely to a bathroom. So for example, my apartment in Montreal is a 3 and 1/2. I have a living room, bedroom, kitchen and a bathroom.

Good luck!

we had suspected that! thanks for explaining. its just weird because in the u.s the focus is on number of bedrooms in most advertisements.

CanuckRazorback said:

Hi,

Just to clarify, I consider 400 CAD to be damn cheap..:) Though it is still affordable to live alone...for instance, though my rent has increased in the past couple of years, I pay 600 CAD for a place right downtown (compare that to Boston, NYC, Toronto, LA etc...)...I live in a 2 1/2 which is misleading because I do have a separate living room, bedroom, bathroom and kitchen (the 2 is from the living room and bedroom, the 1/2 from the bathroom and though separate, the kitchen is not big enough to be considered its own room)...so you never know...

montreal is actually cheap to live in compared to Toronto and Vancouver....its a great deal to be in downtown montreal for that price!!

mcgil, give a canadian some love! i speak french too! :love: :love:

Sorry guys! My cost of living perception is a little off since I've been living in Arkansas for the last 4 years :laugh:

Can't wait to get out of here :)

If I end up going to McGill, I'm bringing my dogs from the states.
Anyone know what issues I'll have to deal with in Montreal?
- vaccinations, licensing, renting issues?

I know going to the UK there is a mandatory 6 months quarantine - that's something I would not put them through.

ingamina said:
If I end up going to McGill, I'm bringing my dogs from the states.
Anyone know what issues I'll have to deal with in Montreal?
- vaccinations, licensing, renting issues?

I know going to the UK there is a mandatory 6 months quarantine - that's something I would not put them through.

I believe there is a quarantine period, not sure how long though (40 days???) Also, from what I was told, the "rule" is that you can only have as many pets as there are people in the apartment.

Have any of you tried to check if your transcripts had been received at McGill via their status page? McGill's FAQ refers to what they say is supposed to be a status check page, but the link is wrong. If you happen to know what the link to their status page is, could you post it please? Thanks! :)

CanuckRazorback said:
Have any of you tried to check if your transcripts had been received at McGill via their status page? McGill's FAQ refers to what they say is supposed to be a status check page, but the link is wrong. If you happen to know what the link to their status page is, could you post it please? Thanks! :)

www.mcgill.ca/minerva-students/applicants

you'll need your id number, which was in an email they sent when we originally submitted the online application.

Out of curiousity, for those of you who have received an interview - has your status on Minerva changed from 'Ready for Review'? I'm getting somewhat anxious about whether or not I will receive an interview. I want to go to this open house, but if it seems like an interview isn't imminent, then that might not be a good use of my time. Any ideas? My application was I think 3 days delayed due to MCAT scores not getting transmitted right.

tbo said:
Out of curiousity, for those of you who have received an interview - has your status on Minerva changed from 'Ready for Review'? I'm getting somewhat anxious about whether or not I will receive an interview. I want to go to this open house, but if it seems like an interview isn't imminent, then that might not be a good use of my time. Any ideas? My application was I think 3 days delayed due to MCAT scores not getting transmitted right.
Well, Minerva wasn't updated frequently for me last year. :mad: We called it '' m'énerva '', which basically sounds like Minerva, but it means '' pissing us off '' :smuggrin:

My impression of Montreal was that the people were anything but laid back. Et je parle francais tres bien, aussi.

As far as being open-minded, I guess that depends on what you believe. A few friends of mine were really treated with what I would call outright disrespect. And no, these weren't Americans openly discussing public policy, not that this should have any bearing whatsoever on estimating open-mindedness.

Fed Meat said:
My impression of Montreal was that the people were anything but laid back. Et je parle francais tres bien, aussi.

As far as being open-minded, I guess that depends on what you believe. A few friends of mine were really treated with what I would call outright disrespect. And no, these weren't Americans openly discussing public policy, not that this should have any bearing whatsoever on estimating open-mindedness.
I've been living there for over 8 years, and I don't think the people are laid back at all. Then again, I hate the city (ugly in my opinion).

Blake, I'm actually asking because I have not received an interview invite yet, so I'm curious if this just means I'm still under review, or if I should just let it go. One of the previous posters said all of the US invites go out the same day, so if the status does change on Minerva after an invite goes out, sounds like I'm S.O.L.

To the other posters on Montreal being laid back, I've been there a good dozens of times, and compared to NYC, I'd definitely say it's one of the more laid back metropolitan cities, for sure.

tbo said:
Blake, I'm actually asking because I have not received an interview invite yet, so I'm curious if this just means I'm still under review, or if I should just let it go. One of the previous posters said all of the US invites go out the same day, so if the status does change on Minerva after an invite goes out, sounds like I'm S.O.L.
It probably means you're still under review. Last year, some folks at my school got their invites a lot sooner than some others, and some got them later.

Ok - so there are hours between interviews on interview day -
what have you all planned to do - are you going to tour the campus?,
go to a class? bum around?

Blake said:
It probably means you're still under review. Last year, some folks at my school got their invites a lot sooner than some others, and some got them later.

did you go to a U.S. school? I saw you post that you have been in montreal for 8 years. I think that it may be different for U.S. residents since they only have two days (jan 28th and 31st) set aside for interviewing U.S. people. So, if people don't have an invite by then, it doesn't look too good. Last years thread suggested a very short (1-3 days i think) window when invites were sent out to U.S. people .

CarleneM said:
did you go to a U.S. school? I saw you post that you have been in montreal for 8 years. I think that it may be different for U.S. residents since they only have two days (jan 28th and 31st) set aside for interviewing U.S. people. So, if people don't have an invite by then, it doesn't look too good. Last years thread suggested a very short (1-3 days i think) window when invites were sent out to U.S. people .

This is truly unfortunate news if true. Do you guys think it would be worth a phone call?

tbo said:
This is truly unfortunate news if true. Do you guys think it would be worth a phone call?

Yes, call! I know they only have 3 interview weeks. One in January for US applicants, one in February for non-Quebec Canadian applicants, and one in late March early April for Quebec applicants. It's now or never!

tbo said:

yeah. it couldn't hurt.

I called this morning. I got a 'All decisions will be rendered by mid-January'. While I still hold some optimism, this sounds more like a 'the bad news is in the mail' sort of thing. Congrats to those who got an interview.

tbo said:
I called this morning. I got a 'All decisions will be rendered by mid-January'. While I still hold some optimism, this sounds more like a 'the bad news is in the mail' sort of thing. Congrats to those who got an interview.

hey well you have five or so days to still hear and then give up, at least. maybe they still offer a few people spots this week if already scheduled interviewees cancel. good luck!!!!

CarleneM said:
I never went to an US school. All my education was/is done in Québec. And you're probably right about what you just said.

CarleneM,
Thanks for the encouraging message. My email/snail mail will be refreshed/peered in repetitively for the next few days ;)

Blake said:
I never went to an US school. All my education was/is done in Québec. And you're probably right about what you just said.

Mmmm, did you go the traditional route -> Marianapolis to McGill? :laugh: What year are you anyway? My sister is a med 2.

So...

Have any of you US applicants decided what to do between interview breaks?
I was thinking of touring the campus, going to a class.

CanuckRazorback said:
Mmmm, did you go the traditional route -> Marianapolis to McGill? :laugh: What year are you anyway? My sister is a med 2.
I don't get the joke, but anyway, I am not a mcgill student. I am a first year at Sherbrooke :D