Mcgill interviews for US applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Blake said:
I don't get the joke, but anyway, I am not a mcgill student. I am a first year at Sherbrooke :D

Oh, sorry. I thought you were at McGill. Almost all of their medP students come from Marianapolis, that's why I was asking. I have a lot of friends at Sherbrooke, none in med though. Nice place. The lectures are in French right?

Members don't see this ad.

ingamina said:
So...

Have any of you US applicants decided what to do between interview breaks?
I was thinking of touring the campus, going to a class.

probably going to the underground malls...no, i dunno. my boyfriend is coming with me for the weekend so i'll probably hang out with him. Is there a formal tour, though? i'd like to go on a formal tour of the campus at some point.

CanuckRazorback said:
Oh, sorry. I thought you were at McGill. Almost all of their medP students come from Marianapolis, that's why I was asking. I have a lot of friends at Sherbrooke, none in med though. Nice place. The lectures are in French right?
Yup, lectures in french, but it's my first language, so I'm not complaining ;) And Mcgill's medp students don't come from Marianapolis ? At least 4 of them came from my college, out of 25 (now)med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Log onto minerva! the mcgill decisions are out!!!!

Mine says "admitted with condition" and then I can click to accept and pay deposit or decline the offer...Not sure what the "condition" is. do others have this message???

CarleneM said:
Log onto minerva! the mcgill decisions are out!!!!

Mine says "admitted with condition" and then I can click to accept and pay deposit or decline the offer...Not sure what the "condition" is. do others have this message???

Mine too!!

Thanks CarleneM! And congratulations! That was so nice of you to let us know to look. I LOVED McGill.

I wonder what we are supposed to do as far as a response. I didn't want to click on the accept and pay deposit option since I'm not sure how definite the acceptance needs to be. (I'm still debating as far as choosing a school.) I hope we will get paper letters in the mail explaining what to do.

Congratulations to you as well!! I'd be curious to know if anyone's screen just says admitted. I looked on the help menu and it said the "condition" will be detailed in our official paper letter- i imagine its just satisfactory completion of any courses we may be taking and continued excellence or whatever. I did click on the deposit link and it is a $500CAD deposit. I'm not going to pay that now, and will probably end up declining the offer.

pushkin said:
Mine too!!

Thanks CarleneM! And congratulations! That was so nice of you to let us know to look. I LOVED McGill.

I wonder what we are supposed to do as far as a response. I didn't want to click on the accept and pay deposit option since I'm not sure how definite the acceptance needs to be. (I'm still debating as far as choosing a school.) I hope we will get paper letters in the mail explaining what to do.

CarleneM said:
Congratulations to you as well!! I'd be curious to know if anyone's screen just says admitted. I looked on the help menu and it said the "condition" will be detailed in our official paper letter- i imagine its just satisfactory completion of any courses we may be taking and continued excellence or whatever. I did click on the deposit link and it is a $500CAD deposit. I'm not going to pay that now, and will probably end up declining the offer.

OMG thanks Carlene for pointing that out! I was *so* sure I completely f-ed up that interview so this is a wonderful surprise! Woohoo! :D :D :D

CONGRATULATIONS Acherona!!!!! Yeah I think that the mcgill interviews were a little more on the confrontational/intense side than at other places and mine were certainly not at all warm and fuzzy. In fact, one grilled me on first and second line treatments for various types of seizure disorders (some of my psych research is in patients with epilepsy so while i have some knowledge of epilepsy treatments its not exactly my area of expertise). The other kept harping on the fact i'm not into sports. Goes to show you never can tell.....

hey did yours say it was conditional as well?

Acherona said:
OMG thanks Carlene for pointing that out! I was *so* sure I completely f-ed up that interview so this is a wonderful surprise! Woohoo! :D :D :D

CarleneM said:
CONGRATULATIONS Acherona!!!!! Yeah I think that the mcgill interviews were a little more on the confrontational/intense side than at other places and mine were certainly not at all warm and fuzzy. In fact, one grilled me on first and second line treatments for various types of seizure disorders (some of my psych research is in patients with epilepsy so while i have some knowledge of epilepsy treatments its not exactly my area of expertise). The other kept harping on the fact i'm not into sports. Goes to show you never can tell.....

hey did yours say it was conditional as well?

Yea mine said the same thing. I hope Minerva is believable :)

I got asked pretty much every possible annoying question. Never listen to anyone who tells you interviews are "conversational"! Prepare for the worst. I think a lot of the time people are just trying to prevent you from getting nervous. Like the girl who hosted me assured me how "laid back" they were, but then when I reported to her how confrontational it was she was like, oh yea actually one of mine was like that too and I was really worried, but I still got in! thaaaanks.

First and foremost, congratulations to you all. This is awesome news.

I actually want to just report back. So as my previous replies show, I applied and was waiting an answer, interview or no interview, a few days after all of you got the invite. I kept calling and calling, they said interview decisions would be out at least 1-2 weeks prior to the interview dates. By January 28th, I did not receive any information.

I decided to go to the 'Open House', listed on the site (that Sunday Jan 30th), in the event that I was still an active applicant. I talked with both Marlene, the applicant director and Dean Beck. I was quickly told, "Oh, well, if you didn't get an invite so far, you're rejected". After a bitter few seconds, I generally accepted it (and honestly figured as much before I went). Asking why I wasn't told before, they said... well all letters went out on the 13th. Ok. Three days later, I find the letter in my mailbox - post-marked January 31st. Perhaps I'm still bitter, but I think that's poor form. I'm rejected, ok - but we're adults - we can be honest with each other.

Let this not tarnish your good news, everyone. I just want to provide my perspective. Admittedly, my respect for this fine institution has diminished since I submitted my application. Good luck in your med school decisions everyone.

Acherona said:
Yea mine said the same thing. I hope Minerva is believable :)

I got asked pretty much every possible annoying question. Never listen to anyone who tells you interviews are "conversational"! Prepare for the worst. I think a lot of the time people are just trying to prevent you from getting nervous. Like the girl who hosted me assured me how "laid back" they were, but then when I reported to her how confrontational it was she was like, oh yea actually one of mine was like that too and I was really worried, but I still got in! thaaaanks.

Wow, I think it must have depended a lot on whom we all interviewed with. Both of mine were very conversational. Not that they didn't ask me a few pointed questions, but there was no confrontation at all.

Along the interview trail I've learned that even the harshest interviewers can ultimately report nice things back to the adcoms. I mean, if an interviewer seems confrontational, they're probably that way with every applicant they meet. Anyway, it was nice that McGill only made us wait three weeks between those interviews and knowing our status!

I too hope we can trust Minerva.

Congrats everyone! It will be interesting to see where you all end up.