Mcgill Medicine International Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomato0123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been fortunate enough to be admitted to McGill Medical school. I am a Canadian Citizen with out-of-province status. My future career plans remain somewhat fluid but I would like to train or work in US for at least a part of my career, preferably within academic medicine in a larger/reputable university.

While McGill is a reputable school within Canada and Canada doesn't distinguish very much between different medical schools, I was wondering whether McGill's reputation will carry over in US as well. Specifically, I was wondering if Canadians trained in McGill found significant barrier in transitioning from Cda to US during residency or fellowship match due to a perceived lack of prestige within US.

Medical school is hard enough to get in and graduate as-is, and I don't want my career prospect to be limited because people question my education. I also ask this because I realize that an average American probably hasn't heard much of any of our top universities, but I was hoping that within the professional circle, the same might not be true.

Thank you in advance for your insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone say narcissistic? You know very well that McGill is one of Canada's top schools. Furthermore, you know very well that it has an amazing international reputation. However, you WILL have a hard time getting into a US residency, but that will be more of an immigration/visa issue rather than due to the prestige of McGill. Oddly enough, you are worried about the prestige of medical schools and ability to cross borders, when it is actually the Caribbean schools - often thought of as less prestigious -- that will offer your the greatest flexibility in crossing international borders.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey hey, I think you misunderstood the point of my question. McGill is a good school but my friends in US were telling me otherwise. They are in finance though, so perhaps the industry difference plays a role here. I'm honestly not sure where you got "narcissistic" from my post -- I was genuinely concerned.

FYI I do NOT know that McGill has an international reputation.. My friends told me that nobody cares about McGill because no one's heard of it. That is what I heard. But I'm glad to hear that this isn't true within medical field? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

As for Carribean schools being able to cross international borders, that's a news to me because I just hear about Carribean students having a hell of a time entering Canadian market (and competitive US residency).

ETA: I also don't know to what extent immigration/visa issues would be a hurdle in crossing borders. I hear mixed opinions from my Canadian friends, so I was hoping to get some insight from a larger pool of people who are "in-the-know"

You won't have a problem. As far as I know:
- you will have to take Canadian & US boards (they are different exams).
- you WON'T have to 'do residency' in Canada AND US. Just doing residency one place will be fine.
- coming from canada residency to USA you may have to do 1yr fellowship program while going through licensing in USA.

I work with a guy who did med school in US, then rad onc residency in CAN, then Fellowship in US, and plans to practice in US.

Enjoy McGill. I am mad jelly.

Hello,

I've been fortunate enough to be admitted to McGill Medical school. I am a Canadian Citizen with out-of-province status. My future career plans remain somewhat fluid but I would like to train or work in US for at least a part of my career, preferably within academic medicine in a larger/reputable university.

While McGill is a reputable school within Canada and Canada doesn't distinguish very much between different medical schools, I was wondering whether McGill's reputation will carry over in US as well. Specifically, I was wondering if Canadians trained in McGill found significant barrier in transitioning from Cda to US during residency or fellowship match due to a perceived lack of prestige within US.

Medical school is hard enough to get in and graduate as-is, and I don't want my career prospect to be limited because people question my education. I also ask this because I realize that an average American probably hasn't heard much of any of our top universities, but I was hoping that within the professional circle, the same might not be true.

Thank you in advance for your insight!

Listen to you, passively fishing for compliments. Even I know the international reputation of McGill Med School, and I can't stand Canada. Bad karma onto you, sir or madam.

Reactions: 1 user
In academia McGill is a giant, and you shouldn't care what people outside that world know or believe. Simple as that.

Thanks for your comments. I apologize if it came across like I was fishing for compliments, I really genuinely didn't know... Friends in US were adamant that if I went to McGill, I would probably be closing a lot of doors in US because people didn't recognize it. They are fairly "Ivy or bust" mentality, but I wasn't sure if that was an accurate sentiment that would be shared within medical field. Medicine seemed like a totally different industry, and hence why I am here. I can see how ridiculous this might sound to some, but this was my actual understanding of the situation.

I suspect that because McGill was so well-received that I came across like a jerk, which I guess answers my question even though it harboured some ill-wills from some of you.

Would Toronto also be equivalent to McGill with respect to recognition within the field?

Listen to you, passively fishing for compliments. Even I know the international reputation of McGill Med School, and I can't stand Canada. Bad karma onto you, sir or madam.
Are you from Canada? What about Canada can you not stand? Again, that was not my intention as I really didn't know how big McGill was.

Depends on what US residency you are applying for. If you want a competitive US residency then go to a US medical school.
There a lot of new US medical schools and a lot of US citizens. Also there are 10-15 US citizens who go to McGill medical school every year.
US program directors will always favor US citizen US medical school grads and also US citizen IMG's as there is less paperwork. Also a lot of competitive US residencies don't accept Canadian citizens or non-US citizens. It's even more discriminatory in Canada as Canadian residencies don't even accept an application if it from a non-Canadian.

McGill is the Harvard of Canada. So feel free to tell your friends it is Ivy League. And why on earth would you want to come practice here if you could practice at McGill someday? American medicine is not all that. Do a rotation here if you can, and you'll see what I mean. I think many American medical students would love to have the opportunity you've been given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGill is the Harvard of Canada. So feel free to tell your friends it is Ivy League. And why on earth would you want to come practice here if you could practice at McGill someday? American medicine is not all that. Do a rotation here if you can, and you'll see what I mean. I think many American medical students would love to have the opportunity you've been given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the words of Lisa Simpson, anything that is the something of something, isnt really the anything of anything ;)

(In all seriousness for the OP McGill is a fine school and is known in the US)

Last edited: