McGill Pass/Fail Courses - accepted???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownrobbin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm considering taking a pass/fail course this term (last year of university), which if I pass, will earn me a credit. How does McGill med count credit/no credit courses towards GPA calculations and can this pass/fail course be used to meet requirement of having taken a 'full credit load'? (b/c mcgill require a 'full-course load'")

McGill says this on their website:

" II. Basic Science Requirements

Applicants must have successfully completed (or be in the final stages of completing) the following courses at a university level with laboratory or practical work in each:

* minimum six (6) credits of general/introductory Biology
* minimum six (6) credits of general/introductory Chemistry
* minimum six (6) credits of general/introductory Physics
* minimum three (3) credits of introductory Organic Chemistry

Minimum credits do not include compulsory laboratory or practical work. Grades of "Pass/Fail" (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) or of similar schema are not acceptable in course work; numerical or letter-class grades are required. Prerequisite courses completed more than eight years from date of application must be repeated. Exception may be made for applicants with advanced degrees in the material concerned.

What does that mean?! Does it mean I can't use pass-fair courses AT ALL, or just not the pre-req's?

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm considering taking a pass/fail course this term (last year of university), which if I pass, will earn me a credit. How does McGill med count credit/no credit courses towards GPA calculations and can this pass/fail course be used to meet requirement of having taken a 'full credit load'? (b/c mcgill require a 'full-course load'")

McGill says this on their website:

" II. Basic Science Requirements

Applicants must have successfully completed (or be in the final stages of completing) the following courses at a university level with laboratory or practical work in each:

* minimum six (6) credits of general/introductory Biology
* minimum six (6) credits of general/introductory Chemistry
* minimum six (6) credits of general/introductory Physics
* minimum three (3) credits of introductory Organic Chemistry

Minimum credits do not include compulsory laboratory or practical work. Grades of "Pass/Fail" (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory) or of similar schema are not acceptable in course work; numerical or letter-class grades are required. Prerequisite courses completed more than eight years from date of application must be repeated. Exception may be made for applicants with advanced degrees in the material concerned.

What does that mean?! Does it mean I can't use pass-fair courses AT ALL, or just not the pre-req's?

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

robin,

No offense, but you're wasting so much energy stressing out about this P/F thing (as per your previous thread) that you might as well just take the class for credit! :p

That said, I would suggest that you call McGill. Based on my reading of your post, it's P/F pre-reqs that they are concerned about. However, calling will make you feel better, so just call already! :thumbup:

:scared: i know.. call it final-year anxiety.. omg.. :(....

mcgill is such a great school.