McGill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Virgil

Hi hi!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, McGill is a Canadian medical school. I do not feel that American medical schools are absolutely superior to those outside the States, but why do I see so many American premeds applying to McGill? In other words, what is the appeal for American undergrads?

Members don't see this ad.

I came from the states to do my undergrad at McGill, and my guess is the appeal for med is pretty similar as the appeal for undergrad: it's a first-class institution which is a lot cheaper than similar US schools. Also, the fact that it's in downtown Montreal certainly doesn't hurt. Basically, McGill isn't really seen as an "international" medical school - I think graduates are given the same consideration as if they graduated from a US med school. At least, that's what I think.

I came from the states to do my undergrad at McGill, and my guess is the appeal for med is pretty similar as the appeal for undergrad: it's a first-class institution which is a lot cheaper than similar US schools. Also, the fact that it's in downtown Montreal certainly doesn't hurt. Basically, McGill isn't really seen as an "international" medical school - I think graduates are given the same consideration as if they graduated from a US med school. At least, that's what I think.

not quite... mcgill is a canadian school like any other, so you have to take the same steps to practice in the US.... but yes McGill is widely recognized as the "Harvard of Canada"
They are also well known for their medical program.
But it's funny because year after year University of Toronto is rated #1 and yet I'm sure they dont get half the US applications that McGill does.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the big reasons for McGIll being so popular is because it's medical program is very very famous. Especially if you consider all the famous alumni, e.g. Sir William Osler ) and the fact that their teaching hospitals are just top notch. Especially if you want to go into neurology or neurosurgery there are only very few places that can compare to the Montreal Neurological Institute (founded by W. Penfield, the guy who "discovered" the concept of the somatosensory and motor homunculi in the brain".

Ah, and furthermore Playboy rated McGill as one of the top 10 party schools in North America (nice detail for everybody who wants to know the REAL reason why so many people apply there ;) )

For me, the appeal lay primarily in the city of Montreal. I speak French much better than Spanish, and a good percentage of McGill's patient population speaks only French (or such little English that it's kind of useless to try). The relative cheapness was a nice perk.

I have heard that it is difficult to get back to the States for residency, mainly because of logistical issues between the American and Canadian residency matching systems. While that wasn't a factor in my final decision, it's something that is good to know upfront.

I'd kill a man to get into McGill.

I have heard that it is difficult to get back to the States for residency, mainly because of logistical issues between the American and Canadian residency matching systems. While that wasn't a factor in my final decision, it's something that is good to know upfront.

Really? Maybe as a Canadian, but not an American going to McGill (good luck to Americans getting in...)

Regardless, I'd be surprised in a McGill graduate with a high Step 1 score would have any more of a problem getting a competitive specialty at a good program. It's got an excellent reputation from what I know, and isn't a foreign school (so no FMG stigma).

I agree that if you come from McGill and have a great Step 1 score that you shouldn't have problems matching into good residencies in Canada as well as in the U.S. It hasn't always been like that but the past is the past (McGill had great match stats in the 70s too, pretty much anywhere, graduates used to get their top choices but that was mainly because the McGill advisors told them to go into primary care and other not-so-competitive stuff, the reason probably being to keep the match statistics up).
However, nowadays that's different as far as I know.
Furthermore the hospitals in Montreal that are affiliated with McGill (MNI, MGH, RVH, JGH) always keep spaces in their competitive specialty residencies open for interested McGill students. So going to McGill for med school is probably not one of the weaker, rather career-threatening choices one can make

But it's funny because year after year University of Toronto is rated #1 and yet I'm sure they dont get half the US applications that McGill does.

Actually, I believe that just changed this past year. McLean's ranked McGill as the #1 medical school in Canada.

While McGill has a great medical school, I would suggest non-Quebec students to find out more about living in Quebec (ie. language, socio-cultural differences) before applying to the school. I found it odd that as an out of province Canadian I have less chance of getting into McGill than international applicants

While McGill has a great medical school, I would suggest non-Quebec students to find out more about living in Quebec (ie. language, socio-cultural differences) before applying to the school. I found it odd that as an out of province Canadian I have less chance of getting into McGill than international applicants

this is because the government imposes the number of quebec residents they have to accept, the same as in ontario and most other provinces.

at mcgill, they pride themselves on having a large number of international students, not just in medicine but in all programs. So that would explain why they dont give much love to OOP canadians...

p.s. by "international" i dont necessarily mean USA, they have students from all over the world

edit= I agree about OOP students and language barriers. If you don't speak fluent french, you will have an extremely difficult time in the hospitals. They may claim that you can get away with it, but the majority of montreal is francophone so be prepared.

Good point. I remember when my fellow New Yorker, and American, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog went to Quebec, he was not well-received. Since he and I share many a personality trait, I may not be welcomed with open arms in Montreal.

Good point. I remember when my fellow New Yorker, and American, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog went to Quebec, he was not well-received. Since he and I share many a personality trait, I may not be welcomed with open arms in Montreal.

LOL! I remember watching that on TV.

:mad:McGill reserves a certain number of spots for US applicants.

It is asier to get into Mcgill as a Yankee than as a canadian fro provinces outside of Quebec.:mad:

Really? Maybe as a Canadian, but not an American going to McGill (good luck to Americans getting in...)

Regardless, I'd be surprised in a McGill graduate with a high Step 1 score would have any more of a problem getting a competitive specialty at a good program. It's got an excellent reputation from what I know, and isn't a foreign school (so no FMG stigma).

You'd be surprised. The people I talked to (some of them here on SDN) said it was very hard to get time off for interviews in the States and that aside from programs in the Northeast, few had heard of McGill or its reputation.

And I believe that officially, it is a foreign medical school -- Canada's not the 51st state yet! :) So even as an American going there, you'd be placed in the computer after the fourth-years at American med schools. Of course if you rock Step 1, you'll do fine, but there are no guarantees. There's probably more information on the Canada forum.

I still think it's a great school. Good luck to those applying.

You'd be surprised. The people I talked to (some of them here on SDN) said it was very hard to get time off for interviews in the States and that aside from programs in the Northeast, few had heard of McGill or its reputation.

And I believe that officially, it is a foreign medical school -- Canada's not the 51st state yet! :) So even as an American going there, you'd be placed in the computer after the fourth-years at American med schools. Of course if you rock Step 1, you'll do fine, but there are no guarantees. There's probably more information on the Canada forum.

I still think it's a great school. Good luck to those applying.
So for an American undergrad, going to McGill medical school is analagous to going to a glorified Caribbean medical school (although it is purportedly one of the best in the world)? I say that because I want a residency in the US, but it seems I would be considered after all the US MD and DO graduates get their picks at residencies first. There are differing opinions here--as a graduate of McGill medical school, are you considered a FMG when applying for US residencies?

as a graduate of McGill medical school, are you considered a FMG when applying for US residencies?

"The Faculty of Medicine is accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education of the AAMC and AMA, and studying at McGill is equivalent to studying medicine in a U.S. medical school. U.S. students studying at McGill write the USMLE exams in the same way and at the same time as U.S. students studying in U.S. medical schools." (from http://coursecalendar.mcgill.ca/health2005-06/Health%20Sciences-5-15.html)

So for an American undergrad, going to McGill medical school is analagous to going to a glorified Caribbean medical school

Oh god, no. McGill's average GPA for matriculants in 2006-07 was 3.76 (http://www.afmc.ca/pages/publications_admission.html) and their average MCAT score was 33P (http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/faq_links/minifaq/mini_mcat_average_en.htm). As noted above, it's an accredited AAMC/AMA school, so it's on par with US schools in that sense.

cleothecat said:
:mad:McGill reserves a certain number of spots for US applicants. It is asier to get into Mcgill as a Yankee than as a canadian fro provinces outside of Quebec.:mad:

Not entirely -- they're both about the same. But definitely much, much, much more difficult to get in than for an in-province student:

International citizens:
maximum of 9 positions
Out-of-province Canadians:
approximately 8 positions
Residents of Québec with university degree:
approximately 75 positions
Residents of Québec, graduates of CEGEP:
approximately 80 positions

(http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/criteria/selection_categories_en.htm)

Dr_Dan_the_man said:
McGill is widely recognized as the "Harvard of Canada" (...) But it's funny because year after year University of Toronto is rated #1 and yet I'm sure they dont get half the US applications that McGill does.

You can usually buy T-Shirts outside the main gates that say "Harvard: America's McGill" :laugh: -- and we all know T-Shirt slogans are, well, law.

You're right -- I think U of T's international rep outshines McGill's somewhat... although by the sound of some of the pompous grads here, you'd never guess it. It certainly topped McGill in the "Top 100 Global Universities List (Newsweek)" (U of T = #18, McGill = #42)... although kind of like the Maclean's ratings, this is hardly a reliable measure of the quality of only their medical program.

Either way, OP, McGill's a wonderful school. It definitely has a long history with many distinguished grads -- one of its strongest points with respect to reputation, I'm sure -- but attending here certainly wouldn't hurt any student's future prospects :thumbup:

Not entirely -- they're both about the same. But definitely much, much, much more difficult to get in than for an in-province student:

International citizens: maximum of 9 positions
Out-of-province Canadians: approximately 8 positions
Residents of Québec with university degree: approximately 75 positions
Residents of Québec, graduates of CEGEP: approximately 80 positions
Yeah, but how many internationals apply? I know about 500 OOPs apply for those 8 positions...I doubt there'd be as many internationals applying for those 9.

Yeah, but how many internationals apply? I know about 500 OOPs apply for those 8 positions...I doubt there'd be as many internationals applying for those 9.

Mmm -- good point. I didn't think of checking the AFMC's admissions PDF. It seems you're right: in 2005/6 there was a 27.4% sucess rate for international applicants, and only a 9.5% success rate for OOP Canadian applicants. (http://www.afmc.ca/docs/2007_admissions_book.pdf)

It's almost a shame that there aren't more spots for OOP/international residents -- I'm sure it would make for a much more interesting class composition, otherwise. I'm sure McGill would love to take more of such applicants, since they're able to charge far more for tuition. I guess gov't regulations prevent them from doing so...?

Anyhow, good point. I'm certainly glad I'm an in-prov student in this case :rolleyes:

OP -- any more questions?

US students at McGill match at amazing programs in the U.S.-is there anyone here that can post recent match lists? There is no difference between medical schools in the U.S. and Canada based on the American Liason. Unfortunately, the Canadian match is several days before the American match....so if one matches in Canada, they are immediately withdrawn from the American match. If, however, you are only interested in matching in the U.S. and do not apply for the Canadian match, than obviosuly there is no issue. The average GPA at McGill is something like 3.8 and the average MCAT is about 33. Almost everyone at McGill got into American schools and turned the offers down to study in Montreal.

So for an American undergrad, going to McGill medical school is analagous to going to a glorified Caribbean medical school (although it is purportedly one of the best in the world)? I say that because I want a residency in the US, but it seems I would be considered after all the US MD and DO graduates get their picks at residencies first. There are differing opinions here--as a graduate of McGill medical school, are you considered a FMG when applying for US residencies?

Mmm -- good point. I didn't think of checking the AFMC's admissions PDF. It seems you're right: in 2005/6 there was a 27.4% sucess rate for international applicants, and only a 9.5% success rate for OOP Canadian applicants. (http://www.afmc.ca/docs/2007_admissions_book.pdf)

It's almost a shame that there aren't more spots for OOP/international residents -- I'm sure it would make for a much more interesting class composition, otherwise. I'm sure McGill would love to take more of such applicants, since they're able to charge far more for tuition. I guess gov't regulations prevent them from doing so...?

Anyhow, good point. I'm certainly glad I'm an in-prov student in this case :rolleyes:

OP -- any more questions?

McGill is limited to the number of OOP spots they can offer by the Quebec government. In fact, when the opportunity presents itself, I was told by the adcom that McGill will buy up unfilled spots from other Quebec medical schools.

Regardless, OOP competition is intense. During the interviews, they emphasized that from the 500 applications, they only interview 50, and then offer 10 spots, and that these 50 people would get into a medical school elsewhere anyways.

Well, I guess I was the 1 out of the 50 that didn't.