girlscoutcookies
Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!
It is getting to the time to submit my match ranking for the TMDSAS match, and I was hoping for some insight on how I should ranking these schools. As of right now, I am interested in anesthesiology and hematology/oncology which is why I am drawn to McGovern with its close proximity to MD Anderson. However, I am still open, and I don’t want to close off other unique opportunities that the other two facilities may provide. Additionally, I recently on a tour and the student guide said any school can provide you enough opportunities for any specialty, so I don’t want to blindly go to McGovern for the sole reason of being close to MD Anderson. I also want to account in for quality of life (defined as personal life outside school in the context of this post). If anyone can review the list I have made and provide other insights, that would be greatly appreciated!
Current ranking right now:
UTMB:
It is getting to the time to submit my match ranking for the TMDSAS match, and I was hoping for some insight on how I should ranking these schools. As of right now, I am interested in anesthesiology and hematology/oncology which is why I am drawn to McGovern with its close proximity to MD Anderson. However, I am still open, and I don’t want to close off other unique opportunities that the other two facilities may provide. Additionally, I recently on a tour and the student guide said any school can provide you enough opportunities for any specialty, so I don’t want to blindly go to McGovern for the sole reason of being close to MD Anderson. I also want to account in for quality of life (defined as personal life outside school in the context of this post). If anyone can review the list I have made and provide other insights, that would be greatly appreciated!
Current ranking right now:
- McGovern
- UTMB
- Texas Tech
- Asian gay male
- Wants to improve my medical Vietnamese and work with Vietnamese patients
- Interested in anesthesiology and hematology/oncology but open to other possibilities
- Pros:
- Within TMC, especially MD Andersen
- Good research and shadowing opportunities
- Has a big Vietnamese population
- Rotations around Houston
- Good match list
- Best quality of life: has a lot of Asian options (Bellaire), most liberal and biggest queer population, great cafes
- Has good opportunities for Global Health (the best for me as there is an opportunity in Vietnam)
- Cons:
- Tiered grading after first semester
- Highest cost of living being in downtown Houston
- Humid but not as humid as Galveston
- Neutral pro/con: Not the best indoor gym but close enough to outside gyms + playing volleyball opportunities
- Bad traffic
UTMB:
- Pros:
- Has good opportunities for Global Health
- Unique opportunities with Criminal Justice Hospital and for ID with IHII
- Good research opportunities
- Really liked the campus when I toured
- P/F
- Good match list
- Nice indoor facility (gym)
- Decent cafes
- Moving to a 1.5-year preclerkship schedule which gives more time for electives in MS4
- Cons:
- Weather (really humid and sandy)
- Cost of living vs. quality of life is not the best
- Mostly older population
- Neutral pro/con: not a lot of Asian population but close enough to Houston
- Neutral pro/con: close to the beach but not the best beach to actually enjoy
- Pros:
- Nice and newest facilities
- Lowest cost of living
- P/F
- Sister is close so I can share rent with her (lowest cost of living among the 3)
- Provided the most outside resources
- Has the most opportunities for community outreach and early patient interaction
- Tied to an undergraduate institution which provides fun events and best amenities
- Little to no traffic
- Cons:
- Not as much research opportunities
- Assigned away rotations with less input
- Not a lot of Asian options (restaurants and supermarkets)
- Not the best quality of life: small college town, not the best cafe options
- Decent match list but not as good as the other two schools (confounding factor as student population is more primary care oriented)