Need help ranking #3 (TAMU vs TTUHSC Lubbock)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ExcellentCycle2425

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Texas A&M
Pros
  • Possibility to move back home if I get Willowbrook (I've also heard it's one of the easier clinical sites in terms of grading)
  • Have worked with a research lab there and have connections
  • Very familiar with the area (alma mater)
Cons
  • Residency programs are mostly primary care based, which I am not interested in at the moment
TTUHSC Lubbock
Pros
  • Wide range of home residency programs
  • Had a better interview day experience
Cons
  • Pretty far from home. Unfamiliar with area and no connections
  • Having to relocate for clinicals (I'd prefer staying in Lubbock)
Summary: TAMU has a better location and is close to support system (family + other people). TTUHSC Lubbock has a wide range of residency programs, while TAMU is pretty limited. Match lists, however, don't look that different. I'm not sure if there are other differences that can help me decide. I want to go to the school that gives me better chances of matching my desired specialty 4 years from now regardless of how competitive it is.