mcp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xml2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
cons:

1. 13 faculty members will be leaving by the end of the summer of this year. reason unknown. one probable reason is administration. a trend that is common in every few years. how can one possibly obtain recommendation for future thoughts of doing a residency, etc,.?

2. comprehensive fee of 300 that you need to pay EVERY YEAR for using their computers, printing papers (can print up to 60 papers max a day), using their bathrooms, etc,. As if the tuition is not enough...

3. orientation fee of 100 will be included in your financial statement when you accept their offer of admission. If you couldnt make it or dont want to go, you STILL have to pay for it. for transfer students, you sit mostly in classroom for 8 hours straight, at which two hours, you take two stupid exams and get to eat one FREE lunch. Lame-o

4. mcphs stands for mcp HIGH SCHOOL. a revisit of your high school. just look at the building. Also, it's a commuter school literally. not a campus setting to sit idly and meet people. students come and go like herds for work or home after classes.

5. there are about 60 computers for 3000 students in the building. Always traffic, always crowded. When finals come, dont even go to the library.

6. unlike other schools, where they accept a certain amount, about 500 prepharmacy students will arrive this year. On top of that, 50 transfers will arrive either into the 2nd or 3rd year as well. Imagine the first day in class: it's like sitting in an introductory biology class!

(this implies two things: EASY TO GET INTO & $$$$$ for the school. )

7. doesnt have co-ops, but they have these so-called experiential programs, where students commit ONLY 40 hours to learn about the retail or hospital settings, for some during the summer and others during the year. not enough spaces for all the 300 students to do their programs in one summer, so they divide the students for some to do the summer and others for fall or spring. what can you possibly learn in that short amount of time? a really stupid program, say the pharmacists. oh, you dont get paid too.

8. the cafeteria and gym are shared with the other school across. very ugly looking. No real estate location to afford lands for our own cafeteria and gym.

9. some professors dont know how to teach. rather disorganized. a tuition of 25,000 per student (times 300 students for pharmacy, and the rest of the health programs). that's a lot of money! we pay them to teach us WELL!
i wonder what do they really do with the money?

10. students here are known to vent and complain everyday. maybe it has something to do with the school. NO STUDENT i know would say a good thing about this school.

11. lowest naplex score consistently on the first try in the nation, according to the dean (inside information).

12. if you were a transfer, you would like your undergrad school MORE than here.

pros:

1. you will be a pharmacist, regardless of what school you have graduated from.

2. one of the easiest schools to get into, comparatively speaking.

Members don't see this ad.

Is this Worchester, Boston, or both?

Boston.

Boston has a rather young, immature crowd than Worcester.

dirtyart said:
Is this Worchester, Boston, or both?

Members don't see this ad :)
You paint a pretty miserable picture of the school. Are you tranferring out? How is your current academic standing?

I was actually thinking about applying to the Boston school once I finish my BS. One would think it'd be great socially being in Boston and all.

GPA - 3.6. my undergrad gpa is much lower than that. a lot of transfers agree too. most transfers come here because this is the only school that accept them.

transfer out? Nah, the school is close to home. save money. already finished 3rd year. dont want to start all over.

well, boston is a college town (one of the pros). however, this school has a weak connection with the schools closeby so your social web can be limiting unless you have friends at other schools.

dirtyart said:
You paint a pretty miserable picture of the school. Are you tranferring out? How is your current academic standing?

I was actually thinking about applying to the Boston school once I finish my BS. One would think it'd be great socially being in Boston and all.

I hate crappy schools but I am going into my first year of pre-pharmacy reqs and I called them and they told me they have a few spots to get in as a second year student so I am gonna apply for that. I do hear they are easy to get into.

it's all about the bling bling for them, accepting an outrageous amount of students. The outcome, well, is an expected loss of students (~50) by graduation.

Less students in program, more attention, more understanding from professors to WANT you to pass.

more students in program, less attention, disorganized in administration and academics, who cares who fails

PharmacistApril said:
I hate crappy schools but I am going into my first year of pre-pharmacy reqs and I called them and they told me they have a few spots to get in as a second year student so I am gonna apply for that. I do hear they are easy to get into.

hahaha your cool. I bitch about my college every day. if eli lilly hadn't gone there and it wasnt the oldest school ever i bet half the people wouldn't give it another thought.

your school sounds like mine. except the campus looks like the city of philly formed first and then the school decided to put buildings in random spots.

i tell you....private pharmacy schools are bloodsuckers. they charged us 200 for orientation on our bill. i was like we didn't do ****!?

so i just wrote a really really long & extensive reply and somehow it was deleted so right now im pissed but i'm gonna rewrite a similar version ugh lol.

so i transferred to mcp last year as a 3rd year transfer, had all these expectations...and unfortunately, i totally agree w/xml2 on some of what he/she said..so i thought i would make my own list from my experience here

PROS:

1. good location..longwood medical area is a good healthcare atmosphere. Children's Hospital, one of the best teaching hospitals in the country, is right next door..etc.. But the school is retail-oriented, not clinical, so it doesnt really have affiliations with these hospitals. Boston overall is a good city to live in while you're in school..a miniature version of nyc, it's cleaner, safer, more education-oriented

2. somewhat easier to get into... i had a 3.4 undergrad gpa and a 70% pcats.. 3 good recommendations, a good essay, and a really good interview. pcats arent really important here since they just started requiring it. it's MUCH easier to get in straight from high school. but that doesnt mean there arent smart ppl around, i know a few ppl that got into crazy gd schools and ended up going here..

3. one of the students in my year made a website (approved by the teachers) that lets you download/listen to audio lectures from class)

4. the teachers, so far, set up the curriculum so the topics overlap and relate.. hopefully they will continue to do this

5. summer courses - so if you fail a class, you wont stay back a yr, you have this to fall back on for the first 4 years of the program, not offered the 5th yr, and 6th year is just all rotations. but the only reason they do it is cuz they accepted too many students in the lower years so they dont have any room for someone to go back a year lol. stupid ass school:rolleyes:

6. all work and no play... in a way it's a good thing..because when you start getting into the meat of the program, you don't want distractions. it sucks, but if you keep lookin at it like you're in grad school or even med school kinda, it helps. plus there is an ample amt of bars to drink your troubles away :D

CONS (heres the fun part)

1. the social life just sucks. the school atmosphere basically doesnt promote friendship, like i said all work and no play.. the kids do their thing & leave, bcuz they dont wanna stay another minute in the school that makes so stressed haha... at least thats what i think. its harder to meet friends, so if you had a fun undergrad, expect to just go to this school for school purposes only and hopefully you'll meet some cool ppl along the way. try to stay away from the been-here-since-high-school-MCP-is-all-i-know students, i think they're immature & socially weird. lol...

2. low faculty retention rate & disorganized administration.. if it's one of the oldest pharmacy schools in the country, why did we JUST start online registration now? I still pray for the day a university buys us off lol

3. overpriced tuition, you're not gonna get your money's worth. unless you're rich or willing to be debt-stressed, dont consider this school. also if you want a school that has a lot to offer as far as amenities. the cafe, gym, and even the health center (it's a HEALTHCARE SCHOOL?!?) are shared by neighboring colleges, and are small and crappy. But Boston sports club is around (and other gyms) and you won't have a hard time finding your own doctor. anyway, it pretty much makes me wish i was a northeastern student down the street. i mean yeah, there are some places to eat and stuff in the area.. but if you want a real CAMPUS and a real sense of belonging to your school, ur not gonna find it here! PS whatever you do, dont live on campus. get an apt in the city or die :( i heard the midtown hotel thing for transfer students is actually not bad either, and that its pretty fun and ****, haha who knows..

4. the pharmacy experience lab only LOOKS cool.. it really is a waste of time & money. the 3rd year students role play as the pharm tech and the 5th year students role play as the pharmacist, and go through the process of entering data in the computer, call doctors, fill prescriptions, & counsel the teachers like patients, etc etc.. it's totally pointless. students need to spend more time in the real world, so if you go here, get a part-time job in a real pharmacy and try to get through this highly annoying lab.

all in all, if you learn what you gotta learn, in class or on your own if you have to, and do your best to deal with the shortcomings, MCP is ALRIGHT. I have to admit i'm not happy with my transfer decision, and i do miss my undergrad school (Rutgers).. but with so many other schools becoming harder and harder to get into (I heard VCU just changed their program from a 0-6 to a requirement of having a bachelor's degree before applying to the professional phase), i'm just glad to be somewhere, you know? Maybe I would've tried harder to get into other schools (OK I DEFINITELY WOULD'VE) but if you just want that freaking degree, haha, go ahead and enroll here but know what to expect.

So the ultimate Pro is that if you deal with the school, you will get a pharm D. If you don't attend a top-ten pharmacy school, it doesnt mean you you're not gonna succeed. I've talked to a few alumnis from this school, one is in corporate at Pfizer in NYC and hes on the worldwide lipitor team doing Clinical Phase III trials, and I ran into another alumni who was the district manager for Walgreens in NJ. And they actually had good things to say about it, which totally caught me off guard lol :confused:

Just do your own research, visit the school, ask current students/alumnis questions, not the admissions office. Make sure you're ok with the money situation, because I had a friend from this school transfer out to UofHouston and was more than willing to start 3rd year over again because MCP just wasn't worth the money. i totally would do it if my parents weren't pushing me to graduate!... So yeah, make sure you know exactly what to expect & what QUALITIES you want in a pharm school.

this was a really long blog
ciao kiddies~ goodluck :)

PS xml2 are you gonna be a 4th year? maybe i'll see ya around...we can bash on mcp together haha

very descriptive!

if you know the guy who is transfering out to go to uofhouston, maybe i do know you!

afablej said:
so i just wrote a really really long & extensive reply and somehow it was deleted so right now im pissed but i'm gonna rewrite a similar version ugh lol.

so i transferred to mcp last year as a 3rd year transfer, had all these expectations...and unfortunately, i totally agree w/xml2 on some of what he/she said..so i thought i would make my own list from my experience here

PROS:

1. good location..longwood medical area is a good healthcare atmosphere. Children's Hospital, one of the best teaching hospitals in the country, is right next door..etc.. But the school is retail-oriented, not clinical, so it doesnt really have affiliations with these hospitals. Boston overall is a good city to live in while you're in school..a miniature version of nyc, it's cleaner, safer, more education-oriented

2. somewhat easier to get into... i had a 3.4 undergrad gpa and a 70% pcats.. 3 good recommendations, a good essay, and a really good interview. pcats arent really important here since they just started requiring it. it's MUCH easier to get in straight from high school. but that doesnt mean there arent smart ppl around, i know a few ppl that got into crazy gd schools and ended up going here..

3. one of the students in my year made a website (approved by the teachers) that lets you download/listen to audio lectures from class)

4. the teachers, so far, set up the curriculum so the topics overlap and relate.. hopefully they will continue to do this

5. summer courses - so if you fail a class, you wont stay back a yr, you have this to fall back on for the first 4 years of the program, not offered the 5th yr, and 6th year is just all rotations. but the only reason they do it is cuz they accepted too many students in the lower years so they dont have any room for someone to go back a year lol. stupid ass school:rolleyes:

6. all work and no play... in a way it's a good thing..because when you start getting into the meat of the program, you don't want distractions. it sucks, but if you keep lookin at it like you're in grad school or even med school kinda, it helps. plus there is an ample amt of bars to drink your troubles away :D

CONS (heres the fun part)

1. the social life just sucks. the school atmosphere basically doesnt promote friendship, like i said all work and no play.. the kids do their thing & leave, bcuz they dont wanna stay another minute in the school that makes so stressed haha... at least thats what i think. its harder to meet friends, so if you had a fun undergrad, expect to just go to this school for school purposes only and hopefully you'll meet some cool ppl along the way. try to stay away from the been-here-since-high-school-MCP-is-all-i-know students, i think they're immature & socially weird. lol...

2. low faculty retention rate & disorganized administration.. if it's one of the oldest pharmacy schools in the country, why did we JUST start online registration now? I still pray for the day a university buys us off lol

3. overpriced tuition, you're not gonna get your money's worth. unless you're rich or willing to be debt-stressed, dont consider this school. also if you want a school that has a lot to offer as far as amenities. the cafe, gym, and even the health center (it's a HEALTHCARE SCHOOL?!?) are shared by neighboring colleges, and are small and crappy. But Boston sports club is around (and other gyms) and you won't have a hard time finding your own doctor. anyway, it pretty much makes me wish i was a northeastern student down the street. i mean yeah, there are some places to eat and stuff in the area.. but if you want a real CAMPUS and a real sense of belonging to your school, ur not gonna find it here! PS whatever you do, dont live on campus. get an apt in the city or die :( i heard the midtown hotel thing for transfer students is actually not bad either, and that its pretty fun and ****, haha who knows..

4. the pharmacy experience lab only LOOKS cool.. it really is a waste of time & money. the 3rd year students role play as the pharm tech and the 5th year students role play as the pharmacist, and go through the process of entering data in the computer, call doctors, fill prescriptions, & counsel the teachers like patients, etc etc.. it's totally pointless. students need to spend more time in the real world, so if you go here, get a part-time job in a real pharmacy and try to get through this highly annoying lab.

all in all, if you learn what you gotta learn, in class or on your own if you have to, and do your best to deal with the shortcomings, MCP is ALRIGHT. I have to admit i'm not happy with my transfer decision, and i do miss my undergrad school (Rutgers).. but with so many other schools becoming harder and harder to get into (I heard VCU just changed their program from a 0-6 to a requirement of having a bachelor's degree before applying to the professional phase), i'm just glad to be somewhere, you know? Maybe I would've tried harder to get into other schools (OK I DEFINITELY WOULD'VE) but if you just want that freaking degree, haha, go ahead and enroll here but know what to expect.

So the ultimate Pro is that if you deal with the school, you will get a pharm D. If you don't attend a top-ten pharmacy school, it doesnt mean you you're not gonna succeed. I've talked to a few alumnis from this school, one is in corporate at Pfizer in NYC and hes on the worldwide lipitor team doing Clinical Phase III trials, and I ran into another alumni who was the district manager for Walgreens in NJ. And they actually had good things to say about it, which totally caught me off guard lol :confused:

Just do your own research, visit the school, ask current students/alumnis questions, not the admissions office. Make sure you're ok with the money situation, because I had a friend from this school transfer out to UofHouston and was more than willing to start 3rd year over again because MCP just wasn't worth the money. i totally would do it if my parents weren't pushing me to graduate!... So yeah, make sure you know exactly what to expect & what QUALITIES you want in a pharm school.

this was a really long blog
ciao kiddies~ goodluck :)

PS xml2 are you gonna be a 4th year? maybe i'll see ya around...we can bash on mcp together haha

afablej said:
From afablej
"I've talked to a few alumnis from this school, one is in corporate at Pfizer in NYC and hes on the worldwide lipitor team doing Clinical Phase III trials, and I ran into another alumni who was the district manager for Walgreens in NJ. And they actually had good things to say about it"

I have also talked to a few past alumis from this school also.
They all have complained about the school (tuition, too competitive) while they are attending the school, but once they graduate, they realized that mcphs actually prepared them pretty well for the real world and they don't regret it. Yea, the work is tough, but you'll be better off in the end. They all have extended their recommendation for me to apply to this school.

Oh my ...reading all these posts about MCP disappoint me so much, even though I think i'll still transfer there. I want to graduate in 4 years instead of waiting for another year or 2 to apply for my state school, because it's quite competitive. Only have a 3.6-3.7 gpa, high 70's pcat. Probably need my BS to have a chance....
I do agree w/ some of the cons from my visit during the interview though...the school environment is so "high school"....i guess i'm used to the big campus of a public university. Oh well...hopefully i can "adapt" to that or at least learn to deal with it!

Only 1 thing i'm concerned is....is the school on any kind of probabtion at all? I dun want to waste my $$, time + effor for nothing!

I've also heard that the progam is hard once u're in. Is it really that bad for P1?

the school is not on any probation at all. it's been standing tall for the past 100 years! it just needs to be up on par with the technology - we still have been registering classes on paper forms. what?!!!

the program isnt "hard". i believe with proper time management you would be fine. 3rd year for me wasnt hard at all. just memorize! =) i just memorize from the physiology book without the need of notetaking and showing up to some classes.

i believe if you transfer from a respectable institution, you would be quite prepared and mature enough to handle the courseload.

Come to this school if any of the below applies to you
1) a high school senior applying to pharmacy school
2) a local candidate (saves money living at home)
3) this is the ONLY school (or your safety school) that accepts you

Oh, despite the fact that it may be too late to deter your decision of matriculating here, remember to join in the bashing! There is always room for more. :smuggrin:

coffee21 said:
Oh my ...reading all these posts about MCP disappoint me so much, even though I think i'll still transfer there. I want to graduate in 4 years instead of waiting for another year or 2 to apply for my state school, because it's quite competitive. Only have a 3.6-3.7 gpa, high 70's pcat. Probably need my BS to have a chance....
I do agree w/ some of the cons from my visit during the interview though...the school environment is so "high school"....i guess i'm used to the big campus of a public university. Oh well...hopefully i can "adapt" to that or at least learn to deal with it!

Only 1 thing i'm concerned is....is the school on any kind of probabtion at all? I dun want to waste my $$, time + effor for nothing!

I've also heard that the progam is hard once u're in. Is it really that bad for P1?

Wow really? interesting, haha. what do these alumnis do now?

anyway, it's totally up to you. i just think you'd want your school to build you character as well as prepare you academically, and i just don't think mcp does that first part, you know what i mean? yeah, you go to class, you learn, but i think the school should require a bachelor degree for the program because if you're 18 and planning on going here for 6 years, you're graduating with the mentality of a very intelligent teenager. haha! that's just my perspective tho

and as far as the workload, the work is kind of hard in terms of time and material, but they can definitely make it harder if they wanted to (most of our 3rd year finals weren't even cumulative) you can slack off, procastinate, and still pull off Bplus on an exam. i missed a week of school and went on a cruise, and i was able to catch up in no time lol. but i heard 5th year is hell..but i would think that applies to most pharmacy programs
QUOTE=strawberry2006]
afablej said:
From afablej
"I've talked to a few alumnis from this school, one is in corporate at Pfizer in NYC and hes on the worldwide lipitor team doing Clinical Phase III trials, and I ran into another alumni who was the district manager for Walgreens in NJ. And they actually had good things to say about it"

I have also talked to a few past alumis from this school also.
They all have complained about the school (tuition, too competitive) while they are attending the school, but once they graduate, they realized that mcphs actually prepared them pretty well for the real world and they don't regret it. Yea, the work is tough, but you'll be better off in the end. They all have extended their recommendation for me to apply to this school.