MCPHS Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oliv0137

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at MCPHS yet? I was just wondering what to expect, any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has interviewed at MCPHS yet? I was just wondering what to expect, any help would be appreciated!

My advice...go to a different school.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no shortage of established and accredited optometry schools in the US, why are you risking your future with a brand new school?

I'm not sure why everyone is wanting you to dodge this school. I'm NOT disagreeing with them because it just opened and you'll be the entering class that set the standards as to whether the school will get accredited or not. However, if this is his/her first interview, then he/she will HAVE to take the risk and go and hopefully transfer out next year. if you have been offered other interviews from other schools or have not heard any feedback, then go to the interview and not take the risk and wait for the next cycle. I'm didn't apply there, but I'm sure they'll ask the same typical questions like "why optometry?", why not medicine, and maybe "WHY THIS SCHOOL?" and you will probably be honest answering that bc it is a new school. From all my interviews, they were all very relaxed and the interviewers were very helpful and made you not stressful. In addition, maybe you might have to know your application so that you can answer any questions they have.

Close file= interviewers does not know your OAT, gpa, etc. So you'll have to convince them by talking about yourself. This is where your personal statement info will help to see why this career path is what you want.

Open file=they know everything from gpa, oat, etc. So be prepare to explain yourself if you didn't get the grades they want or the OAT they want.

Good luck.

I'm not sure why everyone is wanting you to dodge this school. I'm NOT disagreeing with them because it just opened and you'll be the entering class that set the standards as to whether the school will get accredited or not..

1) it is 100% unnecessary
2) why on earth would you want to be a guinea pig for almost $200k
3) almost 18 other better choices on schools to attend
4) did i say it wasn't needed at all?

I would love to hear your answer to the question, "Why our school?"

Taking an acceptance and hoping to transfer is TERRIBLE advice.

I just don't get how these new schools are getting students. When there is abundance of other great schools in the US. If you want a practice interview yes go ahead. But, please don't pick these new schools because of location or your stats. Take a break if you have to, rewrite OAT etc. to avoid new schools.

If you read carefully, I was simply advising on TYPICAL interview questions LIKE "WHY OUR SCHOOL?" because I've been asked that question at OTHER schools. I don't know what MCPHS has to offer nor do I plan to go there. The person simply ask for interview advice. Worse case scenario IF this is the only offer interview then they should go, otherwise they will waste another year. I don't know the situation, and this person could also apply elsewhere are waiting on invites from. Again, it's a suggestion if this is the last resort. If I was in the person's position and MCPHS is the only school that offered me a spot then I will take the risk. Transferring is hard yes, but I know people who have done so do to personal/financial problem. I'm not saying that is the only way nor what this person should do. I'm simply trying to help given. Why not go to an interview at all?? You could use it as practice unless traveling to it is too expensive and not worth it. However, IF this is the FIRST interview and you've not heard any feedback from the other schools that you've applied, then yes you should take it.

TO answer the question of "why our school?" I don't know how to answer that because I am NOT the applicant posting this question. Again, its a typical question that is ask, but not always.

Yes, there are other schools, but if you weren't accepted to anyone of them, then you can restart the cycle or give it a shot. Its a risk that the applicant have to take.

I really wonder what are the stats of some of the people who got interviews at this school? i have pretty good stats and got a few interviews at other schools but got rejected from this school after a month of completing the application. Very strange!!

I really wonder what are the stats of some of the people who got interviews at this school? i have pretty good stats and got a few interviews at other schools but got rejected from this school after a month of completing the application. Very strange!!

Getting rejected from MCPHS is probably the best thing that will happen to you in your professional lifetime. It will be cranking out low-quality grads into a completely saturated market that doesn't want or need them. The only other school that is as ridiculous as this one is WesternU outside of LA, located about 10 ft from another optometry program - both of them pumping ODs out into completely overstuffed environment.

A big "Thank You" to the dean of MCHPS, Lesley Walls, OD, MD. All of us practicing ODs are very grateful for your greed. Enjoy your new cash-cow.

Getting rejected from MCPHS is probably the best thing that will happen to you in your professional lifetime. It will be cranking out low-quality grads into a completely saturated market that doesn't want or need them. The only other school that is as ridiculous as this one is WesternU outside of LA, located about 10 ft from another optometry program - both of them pumping ODs out into completely overstuffed environment.

A big "Thank You" to the dean of MCHPS, Lesley Walls, OD, MD. All of us practicing ODs are very grateful for your greed. Enjoy your new cash-cow.

I agree with JasonK on this one. You will NOT be hired by private practice ODs.

Why? Just because it's a new school?

1) New school
2) Unnecessary
3) Dilution of applicants
4) Dilution of patients
5) Located in a state where ODs have their hands tied (can't even treat glaucoma ffs)

HOWEVER, this school may take over NECO in the long run because of NECO's scandal, the fact that it is run by an MD, OD and part of a larger institution of sciences.

But for the now it is inferior.

OD.. MD.. really? Any ideas on why he has both degrees?

OD.. MD.. really? Any ideas on why he has both degrees?

I have no idea, but clearly after earning the OD, he decided there were greener pastures somewhere else. I don't know why he decided to do it, however. Now, it looks like he's decided that in addition to his OD, his MD, and his piles of money, he'd like to add even more cash to the pile by becoming a highly-paid dean at the new Mass school. Deep down, the guy has to know exactly how destructive the new programs will be, but apparently, money talks. I'd love to know how much he's being paid. My guess is 300K or thereabouts, maybe more. Not a bad take for the old man.

Optometry is being sold out by everyone in the field who has any sort of name. It's like everyone want's to "cash out" while they can, before the whole ship sinks. The AOA has sold out, VSP, once a strong advocate for private practitioners has sold out, and now people like Lesley Walls are selling out. Everyone wants a piece of the pie while it's still warm. Awesome.

Lol, sensitive much? No need for the name calling. I'd rather be a little arrogant and tell it like it is rather than spread false information. But if and when you get your degree and the insurance companies and lawyers abuse you (or even better, the corporations), you'll wish you had some arrogance in you. On a side note, I'd never speak like that to a patient. I want them to come back :)

Not to mention there are many MDs that think all ODs are *****s, are not real doctors and practice "cheap medicine". You take on a lot of weight on your shoulders when you become an OD or an MD or any kind of medical professional so yea that's why a lot of people get arrogant. It's not all flowers and rainbows.

Last edited:
1) New school
2) Unnecessary
3) Dilution of applicants
4) Dilution of patients
5) Located in a state where ODs have their hands tied (can't even treat glaucoma ffs)

HOWEVER, this school may take over NECO in the long run because of NECO's scandal, the fact that it is run by an MD, OD and part of a larger institution of sciences.

But for the now it is inferior.

Agree on all but 5. You can't treat glaucoma but they can manage it which is a thin line difference but you should get the point.

Also as an aside you shouldn't comment on something you don't know all the details about. NECO's scandal wasn't isolated to NECO, it happened at many of the big Optometry Schools and was a network of students from various schools involved. It's just NECO had one student that reported activity that goes on in most professional schools to some degree or another.

I may be an inexperienced first year but I think Lesley Walls, OD, MD has his hands in Ophthalmologists pockets. He could have started a school in ANY of the adjacent states (Rhode Island, Connecticuit, Vermont, New Hampshire) and be better off financially, patient-wise (no opto schools in these states) and legislatively (for ODs). But he just HAD to pick Massachusetts.

Now, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but this one is just a little too obvious for me. He is clearly wanting to overthrow NECO in the long run, charge extremely high tuition rates ($35,000/yr) and produce the most inept optometrists (smallest scope of practice of any of the 50 states so they learn the least out of any ODs in their clinic). I totally agree with JasonK on this issue that he just wants to cash out and fragment the profession.

He could have started a school in ANY of the adjacent states (Rhode Island, Connecticuit, Vermont, New Hampshire) and be better off financially, patient-wise (no opto schools in these states) and legislatively (for ODs). But he just HAD to pick Massachusetts.

Now, I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but this one is just a little too obvious for me. He is clearly wanting to overthrow NECO in the long run, charge extremely high tuition rates ($35,000/yr) and produce the most inept optometrists (smallest scope of practice of any of the 50 states so they learn the least out of any ODs in their clinic). I totally agree with JasonK on this issue that he just wants to cash out and fragment the profession.

The good doctor didn't hike up his "Wallsack" and decide to plant a school in MA. The college will be owned by the school of pharmacy and it was the pharmacy school that approached Lesley about being their founding dean. Why a guy who is just shy of 150 years old should be founding anything other than a shuffleboard league is beyond me.