MCV/VCU vs. Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rahooligan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been accepted to both Temple and VCU. I really enjoyed both schools and am having a hard to finding some differences to help in the decision process. I am a PA-resident, but the IS-tuition cost of Temple is approx the same as the OOS-tuition cost of MCV. Moreover, I like Philadelphia more than Richmond (only slightly), however I have been placed for my 3rd and 4th clinical years with Temple at Geisinger in Danville, so location is more or less a push. Basically if anyone has any insight about some differences with regards to science and clinical training, quality of match reputations, quality of life, etc... I really would love to hear all of it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yea i read that thread, it was really helpful. I was still wondering if there were some personal experiences from people at these two schools which could talk about the student life, faculty, research opps, match, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhhh....

Choose VCU...?

That way you'll be giving an obscure random SDNer who is in no way biased *cough*charight*cough* a very unlikely and unrealistic chance at gaining a first acceptance and save him (or her, but it's a him for the most part) the troubles of reapplying again. kthxbai.

hahaha jk. Sorry i don't have anything of use to add to your thread. But good luck to you with whatever choice you end up making.

PS- If you can somehow magically give me your spot at Temple i will love you forever and ever and ever <333

ha if i pick mcv, i'll do my best. this is a real tough decision though. i feel mcv is stonger in basic sciences/temple is stronger on the clinical side

ha if i pick mcv, i'll do my best. this is a real tough decision though. i feel mcv is stonger in basic sciences/temple is stronger on the clinical side

No way, you can't get any more hands-on than MCV. Between the ER and trauma center, the cancer center, the indigent patient population, the VA and all the rest, there is no shortage of walking pathology. I've heard M3 year at some other institutions resembles shadowing. That blows my mind. I spend my M3 year at MCV doing H&P's, physical exams, assisting/suturing in the OR, performing LPs and thoracentesis, pulling lines, delivering babies, etc.

And if you go to Richmond you can spend most Sundays having brunch at Sidewalk Cafe, which will make me hate you.

ha if i pick mcv, i'll do my best.

Do it. You know you want to. Just push the submit button.

hahahahah jk, i'm so sorry. Ehhh i kinda sound like Gollum... My preciousssss, haha.

Just trying to have some fun. This process can make you crazzzy if you let it get to you.

A buddy of mine has just graduated from MCV. The only acceptance he got four years ago turned out to be the best thing ever happened to his life. He had been very happy there,and in spite of his below average step one score, he was still succesful in residency matching. He even ranked UCSF Pediatrics residency program second to the program that he matched. But past performance doesn't guarantee any future, of course.

BTW, the lecture hall at MCV is much better than the one at UCLA. This is from the mouth of another buddy of mine.

does anyone have any ideas about the average USMLE scores, success at competitive residencies (i'm interested in radiology), and whether there are any sort of notetaking servces at these schools?

does anyone have any ideas about the average USMLE scores, success at competitive residencies (i'm interested in radiology), and whether there are any sort of notetaking servces at these schools?

You won't find average USMLE scores, and success at competitive residencies cannot be quantified. I guarantee if you look at match lists from both institutions you will see derm, ortho, ENT, rads, neurosurgery, ophtho, etc., and people going to Harvard, Hopkins, Wash U, UCSF, etc. Neither of these factors should have any relevance to your decision. Both schools will give you the tools you need; your success at the USMLEs and in matching will be determined by you. Sorry if you were hoping for a tiebreaker.

I can tell you there was no need for a note service at MCV. The material for every course (except some parts of M2 OB/GYN) are distributed in syllabus fashion. It's really, really nice if you just want to hole up in the library. My biggest beef with M1 and M2 years was that we didn't have access to old tests. Actually, we did have some really old tests, but they were of marginal use in 2001-2003, and that was awhile ago.

damn, i was looking for a tie breaker...

do you guys feel that the cities are pretty similar? Obviously philly is way bigger, but north philly and downtown richmond probably pose the same risks. I hear richmond is a pretty cultural city, and i know philly is. is richmond/vcu a very conservative place, or fairly progressive? north philly is dangerous, but most temple students don't live near the school (center city or suburbs). how about vcu, do students feel pretty safe living within walking distance (i would rather not drive to class, instead choosing to live within walking/biking distance).

damn, i was looking for a tie breaker...

do you guys feel that the cities are pretty similar? Obviously philly is way bigger, but north philly and downtown richmond probably pose the same risks. I hear richmond is a pretty cultural city, and i know philly is. is richmond/vcu a very conservative place, or fairly progressive? north philly is dangerous, but most temple students don't live near the school (center city or suburbs). how about vcu, do students feel pretty safe living within walking distance (i would rather not drive to class, instead choosing to live within walking/biking distance).

You can live within walking distance if you're in Shockoe Bottom, but that area is rather expensive. A lot of people live in The Fan (where I did) and either take the bus or the campus connector shuttle. I love The Fan, by the way.

Commuting to school became much less of an issue when I abandoned class. My main travel concern was getting to the U of R Law Library to hole up and study. We'd hit Stuffy's at on Libby (near Grove) for lunch and get home in time for The Simpsons. Those were the days.