VCU vs Emory vs MUSC vs UTSW vs UAB? Forensic pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KaitMedical

Reaction score
I know I’m probably super early, I’ve still got a little less than 3 years before I do any applying. But I want to know what school is best for my goals so I can work towards their requirements. Sorry for the long list.

VCU:

Pros:

-forensic pathology fellowship offered at medical examiners office

-highly regarded in forensic science

-prestigious status in research (will help with residency matching and job applications)

-wonderful area

-great pathology programs

Cons:

-extremely far from home

-out of state tuition and slimmer acceptance rate

-some programs require research thesis

-virtually no support system

Emory:

Pros:
-proximity to GBI

-not too far out of state

-highly respected/regarded medical school

-good residency programs

-has highly accredited surgical pathology fellowship program run by department of pathology and laboratory medicine

-accredited forensic pathology fellowship

Cons:

-out of state tuition and slimmer acceptance rate

-competitive application due to prestigious status

-strict requirements

MUSC:

Pros:

-in state tuition and higher acceptance rate

-closer to home

-dedicated department of pathology medical and forensic autopsy division

-great programs and fellowships

-great area

Cons:

-forensic pathology fellowship is only offered to one applicant each academic year

-competitive application

-if attended, program opportunities might be localized to just sc

UTSW:

Pros:

-higher out of state acceptance rate

-diverse and growing area

-accredited forensic pathology fellowship closely affiliated with Dallas county institute of forensic sciences

-family near Dallas

-prestigious status will help with residency matching

Cons:

-extremely competitive, high GPA and MCAT averages

-far from home

-extremely expensive

-students report low mental health

-current medical restriction laws might affect standing during job applications

UAB:

Pros:

-lower tuition for out of state

-lower average MCAT

-holistic application process

-forensic pathology program closely affiliated with medical examiner

-affordable cost of living in surrounding city

-offers combined Ph.D. and MD

-prestigious

Cons:

-currently undergoing backlash over racism, might affect job applications

-harsh attitude towards out of state applicants

-out of state

-further from family

-highly competitive

-not a fan of Alabama

Members don't see this ad.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
I think it's great that you have passion for a very specialized profession, but as you point out, it's early. First, you have to get into med school, which is not a cakewalk, even for very qualified applicants. So, you'll be best off applying broadly to med schools, and not just target those schools which have good programs in forensic pathology. If you do very well in any med school, you should be a great candidate for a Pathology residency. I'm hoping you have looked at this treasure trove of SDN information on getting into med school:

I also read your other post asking for advice on stats that you need, but it's way more than stats that get you to your chosen profession. Also, if all your EC's are in forensic pathology, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot. Read some of the threads in the WAMC forum and you'll get an idea of what's required to get into med school, not just GPA and MCAT score.

I think it's great that you have passion for a very specialized profession, but as you point out, it's early. First, you have to get into med school, which is not a cakewalk, even for very qualified applicants. So, you'll be best off applying broadly to med schools, and not just target those schools which have good programs in forensic pathology. If you do very well in any med school, you should be a great candidate for a Pathology residency. I'm hoping you have looked at this treasure trove of SDN information on getting into med school:

I also read your other post asking for advice on stats that you need, but it's way more than stats that get you to your chosen profession. Also, if all your EC's are in forensic pathology, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot. Read some of the threads in the WAMC forum and you'll get an idea of what's required to get into med school, not just GPA and MCAT score.
Thank you so much! I had just been told by advisors to start looking at med schools and got a little worried that I’d have to make a few choices right now. And I probably should have specified what I meant by stats, I was more meaning extra curricular, volunteer and leadership activities and what all made applicants stand out. But I will definitely take a look at your provided sources! 🫶

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I had just been told by advisors to start looking at med schools and got a little worried that I’d have to make a few choices right now
You do NOT have to choose medical schools now. Your school list (schools you'll apply to) will depend on your GPA and MCAT score as well as your mission. Right now, work hard at getting a great GPA. Use MSAR to assess what classes are required for admission (MSAR is way more than that, though. It's cheap). Shadow primary care, not just Quincy ME. Get some clinical exposure (ideally, a lot!). Volunteer your services to the unfortunate who are in need. Research is necessary if you're aiming for a top med school (like T10).

Reactions: 2 users
Why don't you become a pathologists assistant?

I'm not sure that your strategy should be to pursue such a specialized field. Do you understand the path to get to being a pathologist in the first place?

Look at medical schools that you have a good chance to consider you for admission. Start with geography first... in-state public first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much! I had just been told by advisors to start looking at med schools and got a little worried that I’d have to make a few choices right now.
Your goal is to get into a school and that's what we tell people who are much closer to applying than where you are at right now.

Good news, you can match into pathology from any medical school, MD or DO. It doesn't look like forensic pathology is particularly competitive beyond that.

I have seen occasional applicants who have a clear interest in forensic pathology. They tend not to do very well, in part because admissions committees don't have much firsthand knowledge of niche fields. To remedy this you just need to build a solid application to medical school. I'll echo the advice given above, and suggest you focus on three elements:

Metrics: highest GPA and MCAT possible
Clinical experience: 50 hours shadowing various specialties, including primary care, and clinical volunteering if you can get some
Service: at least one long-term experience that gives you direct contact with a vulnerable population

Keep you plan simple and your mind focused and you can get in somewhere. After that your future is completely in your hands.