MCV/VCU vs. University of Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maryland to AZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Soooo.. I got into U of A - Phoenix campus, and then the other day I got in to VCU off their waitlist. I grew up near DC/VA/MD, and I really love that area and want to move back, but I've been living in AZ for the last two years and my boyfriend lives here. So, I am torn! Personal issues aside, does anyone have any advice on either of the schools? I've made a pro/con list, but its gotten pretty intense and confusing. I know people post a lot about VCU, and everyone seems to love it. Anyway, any input would be appreciated. I hope people are not totally sick of these X vs. Y threads...

Members don't see this ad.

Please list the cost differential.

Congrats on getting into VCU. I'm on their OOS waitlist, so this may sound a bit biased to you, but if I was in your position I'd go to AZ.

As good a school as VCU is, life tends to be closer to home. and if home is arizona, or close, to you, then u of arizona should be your choice. VCU is great, but I fear the regrets you have might be too heavy.

PLus it will probably be a lot cheaper.

I know for a fact that if I got into my state school, I would choose it over VCU in a heartbeat, but thats just me.

Good luck in the future and if you can, gimme your spot at VCU ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The price difference for tuition is 18,700 (arizona) v. 41,000 (mcv). Big difference, but doc's I've talked to tell me not to worry about htat so much since I will have so many loans anyway... I know price is a hotly debated topic on sdn. My parents are in MD, as are my high school friends who I am really close with, but my boyfriend is in AZ and can't move atleast for a year. So you guys think academically it wouldnt make much of a difference?

The price difference for tuition is 18,700 (arizona) v. 41,000 (mcv). Big difference, but doc's I've talked to tell me not to worry about htat so much since I will have so many loans anyway... I know price is a hotly debated topic on sdn. My parents are in MD, as are my high school friends who I am really close with, but my boyfriend is in AZ and can't move atleast for a year. So you guys think academically it wouldnt make much of a difference?

Academically there is no reason to think one is superior to the other (and I'm a VCU alum). Save the money, stay with your boyfriend in Arizona. Med school will fly by, and you can always head east in four years.

UofA Phoenix is brand new and WILL/DOES have problems due to it infancy. I got into VCU (rejected from UofA's) and ALL my UofA med school buddies tell me that its probably the best thing that happened to me (although they are located on the tucson campus). They tell me that there are problems and fueding between the staff of the two campus, that the dean of phx was just fired, and that UofA is not a good medical school, just cheap.

If you want a better education I would go with VCU. Much better hospital, reputation, and ciriculum. I would have gone to UofA myself since my whole family, friends, and life is here but it sounds like the only incentives you have to stay are your bf and low tuition. Its really your decision and a tough one at that.

Oh Hells, I didn't even notice the word "Phoenix" in your original post. Please disregard my recent advice. bawer234 appears to have a much more informed opinion than I do.

Hey thanks for the advice. Yea, I know there are some issues with the two campus's -- I turned down Tucson b/c I didn't think it was a very good fit for me. It seemed to much like college and I wasn't super impressed with the facilities. Do you think the clinical and educational experiences will be significantly impacted b/c of the bickering/administration problems? In general, I like their curriculum and the way they have their clinical experiences structured. The 3rd and 4th year shouldn't be different since U of A has always had those programs in Phx.

Hey thanks for the advice. Yea, I know there are some issues with the two campus's -- I turned down Tucson b/c I didn't think it was a very good fit for me. It seemed to much like college and I wasn't super impressed with the facilities. Do you think the clinical and educational experiences will be significantly impacted b/c of the bickering/administration problems? In general, I like their curriculum and the way they have their clinical experiences structured. The 3rd and 4th year shouldn't be different since U of A has always had those programs in Phx.

The rumor I heard from my M1 friend is that the Dean of the Phx campus, the former Yale guy, was fired due to the fact that he wanted to break off from UofA Tucson and run/create his own school. That sounds EXTREMELY shady to me. Whether its true or not, who knows. People talk and want these kinds of things to be true for gossip's sake.

Regardless of the above incident I would have to say that Phx campus presents disadvantages in terms of structure. I remember in my interview the students bragged about how great it was to that all they have to do is tell the staff about problems with the cirriculum and it is adjusted accordingly. While they patted themselves on the back for such a "great system" I couldn't be anymore turned off and alarmed by this. This is your formal medical education! The administration guiding you should be EXPERIENCED and KNOW what the best course of action is. I compare the Phx students and staff to childern be led by a blind, deaf and dumb parent through a busy intersection at rush hour. I realize I am embelishing and it's probably not as bad as I make it out to be. After all, I am biased and perhaps my feeling for them are influenced by the fact that i was rejected. Who knows?

However, clinical evaluations and board scores determine a lot in terms of your residency placement. Im sure they have brilliant and dedicated teachers and staff but HOW EXPERIENCED are they at teaching and running a school? I see problems in every direction.

I can tell you that from the information I have collected I see none of these problems at VCU. In fact, it has a great reputation for clinical experiences, a dedicated and experienced staff, a TOP-NOTCH STEP 1 study plan, and new buildings and expansions just like UofA phx.

Like I said b4, I would still have gone to Phx campus over VCU but only because of the cost and the fact that my entire life is in AZ. Apart from that VCU is a better school in every facet.