MCV yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweet Tea

Girl Next Door
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from MCV/VCU yet? When I go to my login page at MCV, it doesn't say anything except that my AMCAS has been received and it will take 7-14 days to process. They've had it now for 17 days (okay, i'll admit it. i'm impatient). Has anyone actually done the secondary for MCV yet?

Members don't see this ad.

that's kind of funny sweettea. what should we do about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like a plan! we can go with torches and one of those log things like you see on the movies to bust down the door :)

btw- i deleted my thread

i'm still waiting for MCV- it has also been 17 days for me.

Nope, nothing from MCV here either. It's also been 17 days... :confused:

Originally posted by Ninjaboy
I think when your status changes, they will send you an email that tells you to go to their site and log in. You'll then be able to complete the secondary.

Is this what happened for you? In the letter they sent out with the website info, they're pretty specific saying that it's the applicant's responsibility to check on their status.

But I wouldn't mind an email update. ;)

Alright, smilez...I'm skipping work now, driving up to Richmond, and I'm bringing restless villagers with me!!! you should come!!!

Alright, smilez...I'm skipping work now, driving up to Richmond, and I'm bringing restless villagers with me!!! you should come!!!

okay sweet tea- i'm driving down to Richmond and I'll bring my restless new jersey villagers with me. we'll meet at MCV at 5pm by the flagpole just as the admissions people are leaving for the day.... :laugh:

an email would be rather nice.....however, i'm still going to be compulsive and check everyday. :cool: :cool:

ummmmm....what about unc???

haven't heard a peep from unc, but they said they wouldn't start sending out redular decision secondaries until after they sent out all the EDP secondaries, so i'm not surprised about the wait.

i don't like the wait, i'm just not shocked. :rolleyes:

all the MS1 kids at unc are having their ID picture taken today in the medical illustration department, and i had to go over there to run an errand. i want to be a MS1 at unc next year...sniff sniff...

You guys should be hearing something soon. THey received my amcas on 7-24-02 and I heard from them on 08-09-02. It's really a simple secondary to fill out...they're probably a little behind. Good luck! and Go Virginia! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by smilez428

okay sweet tea- i'm driving down to Richmond and I'll bring my restless new jersey villagers with me. we'll meet at MCV at 5pm by the flagpole just as the admissions people are leaving for the day.... :laugh:

an email would be rather nice.....however, i'm still going to be compulsive and check everyday. :cool: :cool:

Knowing the Dean there, she would laugh at you and invite you in for a cup of coffee. :laugh:

Oh, how I love MCV :love: :love: :love:

I wish you the best of luck. Maybe I'll even see you at interviews!

By the way, to be SPECIFIC, MCV "no longer exists." It's the Virginia Commonwealth University School of MEdicine on the Medical College of Virginia Campus...with the MCV Hospitals, a part of the VCU Health System.

How confusing. Gooooo....MCV? :rolleyes: :laugh: :clap:

Sweet Tea,
The secondary costs $80! Not exactly cheap, but oh well. You also have to do a 200 word handwritten essay on any topic. I hope that helps.

Word to the wise, MCV screens, so that may be a holdup...they haven't gotten to your application. Also, they tend to deal with the Early Decision applicants first...and then instate...so poor Sweet Tea :( It's okay, though -- that handwritten essay is kinda yucky anyway, so avoid it while you can :cool:

THanks for the info, Jessica37 and gold&black!!! I greatly appreciate it!! The essay is really on any topic of my choosing? Unfortunately, 200 words is shorter than my 400 word ECU handwritten essay. Maybe I can make it fit...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I figured that as a regular decision, out-of-state applicant, they're not exactly working to get to my application. but still (and now i'm going to whine) i got my application in early... why can't they return the favor??? i'd also like to know why they can't decide on a name (kinda like MCPH/Drexel. okay. no more whining.

silly virginians. oh wait-- i was born in virginia!!

anyone else heard anything from VCU/MCV/whatever...

I haven't heard anything yet either... regular decision, in-state, good grades and MCAT. Funny thing is, I submitted my AMCAS at the end of June, and the AMCAS website showed my application as having been 'transmitted' to VCU on July 11. The VCU site doesn't show my application as being received until July 31, so I guess this shows how slowly they're working. Still, it's the only school that I applied to where I still haven't heard anything...

Good luck to all!

I emailed the VCU/MCV people about when I could expect to hear about a secondary, and they said that things would start moving again next week. Apparently applications were put on a back burner last week while the first-years were having orientation. So there's still hope for those of us waiting!

Just passing my info along... hope you find it helpful. :)

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
THanks for the info, Jessica37 and gold&black!!! I greatly appreciate it!! The essay is really on any topic of my choosing? Unfortunately, 200 words is shorter than my 400 word ECU handwritten essay. Maybe I can make it fit...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I figured that as a regular decision, out-of-state applicant, they're not exactly working to get to my application. but still (and now i'm going to whine) i got my application in early... why can't they return the favor??? i'd also like to know why they can't decide on a name (kinda like MCPH/Drexel. okay. no more whining.

silly virginians. oh wait-- i was born in virginia!!

anyone else heard anything from VCU/MCV/whatever...
hhaha...it'll all work out -- Vcu will begin to move sooon! the name thing is funny though. Even though it's theVCU shool of med., you work at MCV hosptals....such confusion...

Originally posted by gold&black2005
hhaha...it'll all work out -- Vcu will begin to move sooon! the name thing is funny though. Even though it's theVCU shool of med., you work at MCV hosptals....such confusion...

like i said before... silly virginians. :rolleyes: :laugh:

like i said before... silly virginians. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Hey, you're the one tryin to come to our state for med school....:laugh:

But then again, who wouldn't want to come to Virginia?:love:

But then again, who wouldn't want to come to Virginia?:love:

Yay Virginia! :clap: :clap:

I was born in Virginia-- lived there for 14 years!!! Therefore, I can call Virginians silly if I want to. ;) :laugh:

And yes, I would LOVE to hear kind words from VCU. I wouldn't mind going back to VA...:D

And yes, I would LOVE to hear kind words from VCU. I wouldn't mind going back to VA...:D

It'd be great if I could stay in VA, but I wouldn't mind going down to NC, either. :D

Maan...with UNC and Duke, why would you want to leave?

Oh, wait, that's right: to come to a better state ;) :rolleyes: ;)

Go Virginia and Go VCU :love:

Hey Gold&Black,

how do you like Richmond? I've heard that Richmond is sort of sketchy/unsafe. I've only visited Richmond once in high school, but it didn't seem that bad. Is VCU in a good area? Thanks!

Originally posted by Wahoo07
Hey Gold&Black,

how do you like Richmond? I've heard that Richmond is sort of sketchy/unsafe. I've only visited Richmond once in high school, but it didn't seem that bad. Is VCU in a good area? Thanks!
I like Richmond a lot...when I first got here, I had the impression that it was going to be crappy, but I was easily surprised: it is by far a more interesting area than C-Ville or Hampton (EVMS). Some parts you should avoid, yes, but that happens i every city. MCV...er...the VCU School of Medicine on the MCV Campus :rolleyes: is downtown in the government district, however, so that's a nice area, near the nightlife of the city and stuff. Pretty in an urban way, I think :love:

bump... still no word from VCU :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(hehe... i like it when the similies roll their eyes in unison)

sweet tea...you crack me up! :laugh:

just wanted to add myself to the list of people waiting for VCU @ MCV ....

Check your emails! I just got one from MCV saying my status changed. I passed the initial screen and can now do the secondary! :clap: Anyone else's change? Good luck!

Mine changed today too, but I got the message that my secondary is complete and am now awaiting evaluation! Good luck everyone:)

when were your apprs verified??

I got an email from MCV telling me to check my status on the webpage. Sure enough, my status has changed and I can do the secondary now. Yay. :D

I guess they're starting to move now, so don't worry Sweet Tea. :)

Thanks for the update, Wahoo!!! I like your aflac duck, by the way. :D

Sadly, still no word or change in status. Maybe they're just going to send me a letter saying "Dear Ms Tea... we were so impressed by your AMCAS application that we decided to bypass the secondary and interview and to offer you a place in the class of 2007. Welcome to Richmond."

Hey-- it could happen!! Okay, maybe not to me, but it could happen!! ;) :laugh:

Don't feel bad, Sweet Tea... my status hasn't yet changed either.

Sweet Tea (and all others)....my status changed today!!! i'm officially invited for a secondary.

i just wanted to post that my app was received by VCU 9per the on-line status page, not the AMCAS app) on July 26th.

only 2 weeks to get this done...now, to write why VCU or use the add'l info essay i've been writing..... i guess i'll go with why VCU so that i can emphasize that i have two cousins going to VCU and would love to be near family...

good news, chopsuey!!! have fun with that essay!!!

still no email or change in status. :( i will hang my head and cry.

hehehe-- i love how this thread seems to have become my own personal pep-talk. in the words of tony the tiger, you guys are GRRRRRRREAT!!!! :D

bumpalicious.

geez-- i'm gone for a day and this thread falls to page 5!! we've got some super-posters out there. still no word from vcu...blech.

lol. sweet tea, try to relax. this is going to be a long year of much waiting, rejection, and emotional pain. dont get burned out at the waiting for secondaries stage. :)

Originally posted by DW
lol. sweet tea, try to relax. this is going to be a long year of much waiting, rejection, and emotional pain. dont get burned out at the waiting for secondaries stage. :)

what do you mean RELAX, dw? i'm perfectly relaxed. just call me sweet relaxed tea. no need for meditation, yoga, or deep cleansing breaths because i am relaxed. if i relax any more i will be asleep in my cube at work. i am perfectly calm and non-caffienated.

okay, well, at least the "non-caffienated" part of that post was true. ;)

I like Richmond a lot...when I first got here, I had the impression that it was going to be crappy, but I was easily surprised: it is by far a more interesting area than C-Ville or Hampton (EVMS). Some parts you should avoid, yes, but that happens i every city. MCV...er...the VCU School of Medicine on the MCV Campus :rolleyes: is downtown in the government district, however, so that's a nice area, near the nightlife of the city and stuff. Pretty in an urban way, I think :love:

Now I love Richmond as much as the next guy, but I would have to disagree and say that the EVMS area is a little more interesting. Deep in the heart of Norfolk (Ok, maybe I wouldnt venture too deep) but Va. Beach is one of the greatest cities in the world (not to mention the Hampton Roads area is the biggest in all of VA). I'm not biased or anything, I did grow up there though. I have seen a few places in my military travels and by far few of them compare to Hampton Roads. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

Now don't be mistaken, if given the decision between EVMS and MCV/VCU/??? I would go to Richmond in a heartbeat, I just wish they would move it to the beach. :p

Any news Sweet Tea? :idea: I'm pullin' for ya! ;)

PS - The duck thanks you. :D

aww, thanks Wahoo!! and thanks for bumping this thread!

it has officially been a month, and still no love from Richmond. +pissed+ i get the feeling that they don't like me...

sweet tea...you'll get there! i think they're just being slow. are you instate or out?? i forget and i'm too lazy to try to figure it out (hey, it's monday morning...that's my excuse).

i just sent out my on-line secondary to them...now i need to work on that handwritten thingy! any suggestions on that?

by the way, does anyone know anything about their MD/MPH acceptance policy? i looked on their website and it's totally unhelpful. i wasn't sure how serious they are about those reqs (advanced stats courses, take the GRE, etc)...

I don't know what to write for the handwritten thingy either...:confused: Maybe I'll do a "Why VCU" essay or something. :sleep:

PS - Don't worry sweet tea! I mean, who doesn't like sweet tea? Especially in the south?? ;)

wahoo-

what do you think? should i write a why VCU letter so i can emphasize the importance of having family at the school (two cousins who go there) or send in a much more creative, original essay that just talks about a different dimension of my personality?