MCV yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by chopsuey
wahoo-

what do you think? should i write a why VCU letter so i can emphasize the importance of having family at the school (two cousins who go there) or send in a much more creative, original essay that just talks about a different dimension of my personality?

Ooo you have family there! I'd definitely write about that if I were you. I think it shows that you have more of a reason to go there if they accepted you. My $0.02 ;)

Members don't see this ad.

yeah chopsuey-- write about your family. it will set you apart and i think it's always good to show devotion to family and a really good reason to go there. aren't you out of state, chopsuey? i'm in NC.

thanks for the support-- y'all ROCK!!:D

yup, i'm out of state, too.....PA. just wondering since you said at some point that you used to live in VA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Sweet Tea,

Don't know if you've heard anything from MCV/VCU yet, but I thought I'd bump this thread back up and see. I still haven't heard a thing, though they've been sitting on my application for a month... and VCU was supposed to be a "safety" school!

hey guys,
My application was complete with MCV on August 19 and I got an interview invite on August 26 if that helps you know anything at all!

Originally posted by secretstang19
Hey Sweet Tea,

Don't know if you've heard anything from MCV/VCU yet, but I thought I'd bump this thread back up and see. I still haven't heard a thing, though they've been sitting on my application for a month... and VCU was supposed to be a "safety" school!

grumble grumble grumble...no. no word. nothing. nada. zip. nothing. +pissed+

pissy pissy pissy pissy.

But thanks for the bump!! Hope you hear something soon!!

Here's a suggestion for anyone who hasn't gotten the secondary yet... I finally got irritated and e-mailed the lady at VCU who was listed as the contact for questions regarding application status. I asked if I needed to submit more information to the school, or just be patient and wait for them to review the application (it has been a month since my application was received). I got a response back almost immediately, saying that my status would be updated within the day. Sure enough I soon got an e-mail telling me to check my status, and the secondary invitation was up. I don't know what the moral of this is, other than ask and ye shall receive. :) Maybe it's worth a shot for anyone else who's been waiting to hear from MCV...

i just might have to try that, secretstang! i've already emailed them once, but i'll try again. i'm getting frustrated with vcu... oh well. +pissed+

BUMP

Hope it works out for you Sweet Tea! :cool:

Sweet Tea= MCV reject. very sad. very very sad. 3 rejections down... 15 more to go. If I get in anywhere, I'll be very, very happy. But I won't be going to Richmond. Good luck with MCV to the rest of you!!!

I'm very sorry to hear that Sweet Tea. :( Good luck on the rest of those schools though! :)

I think VCU is going to give me the run-around too; I'm still waiting to hear from them. They sent an email a few weeks ago saying they were reviewing my application..

i'm sorry, sweet tea! :( good luck with the other schools!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, chopsuey and wahoo! i'm kind of bummed b/c i have a friend there this year and it would have been fun to go to school with her, but i'm glad they saved me the cost of (yet another) secondary and rejected me at this round. best of luck to the rest of you! cycline-- i never received an email saying that they were reviewing my application, so maybe you'll have a better luck than i did! :)

BUMP

Just wondering who has heard from VCU/MCV. Just so all of you know... The president of MCV is very, very picky about what the school is called. People that call it MCV make him really angry (not that many people care)

The official name is... are you ready with your extra ink....

Virginia Commonwealth University's Medical College of Virginia

Heaven help the person that doesn't put VCU before MCV.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Amy Beth
2002 VCU graduate

Just got an interview invite yesterday. My file was complete Sept. 24th. They scheduled the interview for Oct. 21st, but I had to reschedule for Nov. 4th. I'm an out-of-stater, too.

Good luck. Now is a great time to be from out-of-state. Virginia is hurting finacially so lots of out-of-staters are able to enter VA schools. More tuition money for the state

Last year the in-state waitlist only moved a very, very little bit, whereas the out-of-state waitlist moved a whole bunch from May 15th to August 10th.

Hello,
I interviewed at MCV on September 10th. I really liked the school and the students seemed very happy. It seems like the way they do acceptances we might have to wait a long time to hear. I am an instater! Yay for MCV

If it is like last year they will send acceptances out (via email only) in batches on ...

Oct 15, Dec 15, Jan 15, sometime in February and April 15.

After that the remaining people they like but don't have room for will be placed on the waitlists - in state and out state.

Yup, it is the same as last year. Looks like I will be checking my email alot on Tuesday!! The dean told us that we could be accepted on any of those dates not just the first one so I guess it could be a while. I am just excited cause I would really like to go there! Have you applied there before Amy? If so, what was your experience like?

I interviewed there this week. I was really impressed by the new hospital, and the students there seem really happy and enthusiastic. Though I wonder if it would be possible for me to hear from them on Oct. 15. My file (and those of others who interviewed with me) get presented on Monday, so do you think they'll rush to get it done so that they can rank us in time for sending offers the next day?

Check your e-mails! I had my interview at MCV Sept. 26, and my status just changed to waitlisted. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. But, I guess at least it wasn't a rejection. Good luck everybody.

I got an email from them also saying my status had changed. I was freaking out, but when I checked the webpage, it was only a request to fill out a survey. :rolleyes: :p They should stop scaring people like that.

Caferine,

I was a little confused with you saying you were waitlisted. When I went for my interview they said that they do no form the waitlist until March. They said everyone is ranked and put on hold until offers go out on Oct. 15, Dec 15, etc. Are you sure you are not just on hold? Cause if you are on hold that is a good thing and you could get an offer on any of those days. Good luck!
Hokiedoc

Originally posted by Amy B
BUMP

Just wondering who has heard from VCU/MCV. Just so all of you know... The president of MCV is very, very picky about what the school is called. People that call it MCV make him really angry (not that many people care)

The official name is... are you ready with your extra ink....

Virginia Commonwealth University's Medical College of Virginia

Heaven help the person that doesn't put VCU before MCV.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Amy Beth
2002 VCU graduate

Actually...they gave us a big speil on the name change when we first got here and the name is even longer than that....the official name of MCV (which everybody still calls it around here, thankfully) is.....*DRUMROLL*

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine on the Medical College of Virginia Campus

For all those waiting, keep the faith. Very early, they seemed to drag stuff out last year too but they're pretty much on the ball. They tend to stagger out acceptances so as not to favor those who had earlier interviews...they only offer a few at a time. I think only about 15% of our class was offered acceptances by mid October. Good luck!

Hokiedoc, I guess you are right. I am "on hold." I guess I used the wrong terminology. Has anyone heard what the chances of getting in are if you're on hold starting in October? I really haven't heard anything about this. This is such a long, painful waiting process. Thanks.

Originally posted by caferine
Hokiedoc, I guess you are right. I am "on hold." I guess I used the wrong terminology. Has anyone heard what the chances of getting in are if you're on hold starting in October? I really haven't heard anything about this. This is such a long, painful waiting process. Thanks.

MCV does not have rolling admissions.
Hold at MCV means that you have not been rejected. They only give out acceptances roughly around 4-5 times during the process. The next batch will be in Decemember. Hold means you could get accepted on 12/15 or 1/15 or 3/15 or 4/15 or in the final batch 5/15. If you aren't in any of these batches, then you are put on the waiting list. If you don't clear the list you get a reject email after 8/14/2003.

You may have a short wait or a long wait. I hope you get accepted early cause the wait can drive you INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that cleared up any questions you may have had.

oh, I just looked at the date. I guess that means their first batch of acceptances are going out this week. That is usually for the applicants who were applying only to MCV and if your stats are REALLY great. If they are then you could be accepted this week.

Our fingers are crossed for you all:clap:

when did you guys get to know a change in status MCV/VCU after their interview? I had an interview on the 21st of October and want to know when I would get to know the change. :)

Hey guys...
Don't be too sure about what they TELL you about MCV admissions... I am an out-of-stater, I interviewed on Sept. 24 and my stats are alright, not that great but with about as good ECs as you can have... I think they might care a lot about that there. Anyway, I got a "change of status" on October 11 (weird b/c they said I would get it Oct.15) and it said that I was on hold pending further review of my application. So I figured I would hear on the November 15th deadline... that is what they had originally said, plus I wasn't really expecting to get in then b/c they said they would let in 2 out-of-staters on Oct 15. On October 19, I get a letter saying I am in! When I checked the status page, sure enough it said I was admitted... not sure what happened, but apparently they don't do admissions EXACTLY the way they say they do.
;) :D :D

I started this thread, and was rejected pre-interview from MCV. I have to say that I feel a little twinge of bitterness every time this thread gets bumped up-- I was hoping it would slide into SDN oblivion.

Sigh. Woe, woe, woe is me. :rolleyes:

Okay, I've had my pity-party. Y'all go ahead and continue posting your interviews and acceptances. If I have to see this thread, at least make it a happy thread!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

So without further delay...CONGRATS AAURBA1!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

hey aauerba1...same exact thing happened to me! :confused: Oh well...:clap:

anyone heard for interviews recently? just curious....do they hand out interviews periodically like nov. 15, dec 15 as they do acceptances, or is it "rolling"...my application was completed oct. , no news yet...

i just got this from them last night when i checked my email and i really am not so sure what it means...i guess just wait...anyways, my file was complete on 10/1 and i am an out of stater. do you think that i should call if there is no change in status by next week to find out what the email means exactly???

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, your priority score is such that we are unable to predict how soon we will be able to schedule your interview. We will make every effort to bring you in for interview within the next 6-8 weeks. Interview scheduling is dependent on the availability of committee members so we are not always able to predict how soon we can get you scheduled. Please continue to check this site for information on scheduling.

Originally posted by anxiousmed
anyone heard for interviews recently? just curious....do they hand out interviews periodically like nov. 15, dec 15 as they do acceptances, or is it "rolling"...my application was completed oct. , no news yet...

i just got interview date yesterday for 12/16...

it doesn't seem to me that they hand out periodically though...

good luck

i'll be down there on the 4th of December....anyone else gonna be there that day?

nygirl6464 ,

I got that same status thing and have an interview exactly one month from when they posted that...it's definitely an interview invite. it pretty much means exactly what it says :).

good luck and congrats!

I have a question for anyone INCLUDING chopsuey that knows about the point system. For those that interviewed with that message "your point total i ssuch that we will schedule you in 6-8 weeks..." indicates that our (i got that update recently) point total is avg but not optimal. Has anyone that interviewed that RECEIVED this weird interview invite update actually been accepted? Thanks

hey...just so you don't think i'm avoiding you...well, i don't know yet if i'll be accepted. i'm interviewing on the 4th (like i wrote before). i'm not sure when they'll give me a decision, but i'll be sure to post it when i get it. if it's a rejection, it might take me a few days to get up the energy to post it :)p ), but it'll be there...

good luck!

I got that same "interested in my candidacy" update as well. I we do receive interviews, will they tell us something has changed in the system or do we have to check periodically on the website?

Jetson

Originally posted by Jet915
I got that same "interested in my candidacy" update as well. I we do receive interviews, will they tell us something has changed in the system or do we have to check periodically on the website?

Jetson

nah...they told you to keep checkingthe website...

but they e-mail you if there's any change happen on your site...

i wasted my energy and time to check that site everyday for 2 months...

but when they actually update my site with interview date...they sent e-mail...
so don't waste yours...

they'll send you an e-mail saying that your status has been updated...no point checking that website every day...

why are tickets to richmond so expensive? i can't find anything less thatn 400 from chicago on jan 20....does anyone think i should reschedule or do you think it will hurt my chances since it will push me back? does anyone know their official batch acceptance dates......ie. jan 15, mar 15, may 15? etc....thanks

anxiousmed, why did you bump my mcv thread? this thread makes me sad b/c the bastards rejected me. bastards. siiiiiiiiiiiiigh. woe, woe, woe is me.

i think there should be a new mcv thread (ie, one not started by me) so i don't have to see my name associated with the school that rejected me. ;) :p

btw, i'm joking. post away. i've gotten other rejections, but mcv is the only one i'm bitter about. good luck to the rest of you!! :D

anxiousmed, I think the next acceptance batch goes out on Feb. 15. as long as you're interviewed the Monday before Feb. 15th, you'll fall in that batch....you could fly into DC, Reagan National Airport and Amtrak it down to Richmond...or just rent a car in DC and drive down to Richmond....tickets are cheaper to the DC airports...

hey...
i think it is important to not push back that interview if you are interested in the school, just because they said that frequently the earlier you interview, the higher "priority score" that allows you to get into the school. i had the same problem (chicago to richmond is ridiculously expensive, and they gave me 3 days notice) i ended up flying into BWI and using my parent's car to drive to richmond. you have a little time, they often have sales... but if not, you might want to consider renting a car at a larger airport and driving in.

thanks will do...does anyone know if it's a group interview? also on the website my interview time is 10am, do you think i can make a 330 flight or do they keep you long?

anxiousmed, I don't think you will make a 3:30 flight after your MCV interview. After the interview, students take you out to lunch and give you a grand tour. I think the interview day was over by about 4:00.