MCW Class of 2014!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When does MCW give you your financial aid information? I thought schools were supposed to give you that information before May 15th, but the outline on MCW says June-July. :confused:

We haven't even received ours yet, so I don't think you'll be getting yours anytime soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When does MCW give you your financial aid information? I thought schools were supposed to give you that information before May 15th, but the outline on MCW says June-July. :confused:

Just an update, current students financial packages are done. I guess now the financial aid office can start working on the soon to be M1 packages.

Just an update, current students financial packages are done. I guess now the financial aid office can start working on the soon to be M1 packages.

Oh cool. Thanks for the update. I'll most likely be joining you guys over at MCW.

Just decided today, I'm coming to MCW!!

hey guys quick question....
one of the requirements on the acceptance letter is a criminal background check by May 17th. Do we need to send that in or is that done automatically through AMCAS?

one of the requirements on the acceptance letter is a criminal background check by May 17th. Do we need to send that in or is that done automatically through AMCAS?

You should have gotten an email from the AAMC about completing your background check through Certiphi.

Can you tell finals are approaching and I should be studying, so instead I prowl SDN?

I think I remember what you are talking about, but I do not remember what I did about it - maybe we signed something allowing them to do a background check? Anyway, in the orientation packet there is additional background check paperwork. I'd suggest calling admissions, they are friendly folks. Just be sure you get everything done before it is due, as an incoming student there is a lot to keep track of.

Can you tell finals are approaching and I should be studying, so instead I prowl SDN?

I think I remember what you are talking about, but I do not remember what I did about it - maybe we signed something allowing them to do a background check? Anyway, in the orientation packet there is additional background check paperwork. I'd suggest calling admissions, they are friendly folks. Just be sure you get everything done before it is due, as an incoming student there is a lot to keep track of.

Who cares about finals, lol

That sounds new. I don't remember that.
MCW didn't participate in the Certiphi screen last year, though I do remember doing it for a different school. Its just the background check process that ~1/3 of the schools in the country use, though maybe its more this year than the last.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCW didn't participate in the Certiphi screen last year, though I do remember doing it for a different school. Its just the background check process that ~1/3 of the schools in the country use, though maybe its more this year than the last.

Do we just assume they got the background check information if we completed the Certiphi screening through AAMC?

seems like according AMCAS, MCW does participate in CBC through Certiphi.

That's new this year then. Last year they had their own company we had to fill a bunch of forms out for around orientation time.

That was all through the VA system. I think last year all we had to do was get them a credit report before some date. I don't remember any kind of company background check.

I found a place near Glenview and Portland. How quick of a walk is that to MCW? It looks like Portland ends in a culdesac, but google's walking directions says there's a path to walk on to MCW.

I found a place near Glenview and Portland. How quick of a walk is that to MCW? It looks like Portland ends in a culdesac, but google's walking directions says there's a path to walk on to MCW.

It's a very quick walk. The sidewalk goes right through there, so you're fine. I used to bike in that way.

It's literally as close as if you were to drive to the school parking lot (for M1s and M2s) and walk in, so it's pretty close. If you're not very familiar with Milwaukee, I think living close to MCW is a good idea.

Remind yourself that you said this in 6ish months, lol
too bad the internet doesn't transmit intonation, because I actually meant that with a sense of intense dread and feeling of impending doom. haha jk

Nice, thats primo med student real estate. Just remember your winter boots.

Now I gotta find a new place :mad:

Anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

so weren't we supposed to get an email sometime this week for the orientation site? I still haven't gotten one...

might want to check with the school.. I emails for a couple logins earlier this week.

Flipping through this, I have decided three things:
1) I am old.
2) Lots of things have changed since I graduated.
3) It is so refreshing to hear people excited about medical school! It's hard to remember all the frenzied excitement of starting medical school, or even residency (Prowler and samenewme, congrats on the match!)

For whoever commented on moving to the north east after medical school, I applied only to programs in the Phillly/Baltimore area when I was matching. Once I convinced people that I really did want to move out this way (which would be easy if you were actually from the east coast), people were very receptive, and no one thumbed their nose at MCW.

Medical school is hard, but fun. You will look back at it much like you look back at college and high school--sometimes it was fun, sometimes it was brutal, but mostly, it was a step on the path to making you who you are as a person, and as a physician. You dwell on the fond memories, especially the further you get away from it.

Congrats and best of luck to everyone, no matter what your stage of training. Enjoy.

1) I am old.
3) It is so refreshing to hear people excited about medical school! It's hard to remember all the frenzied excitement of starting medical school, or even residency (Prowler and samenewme, congrats on the match!)
Hey you. I talked to Don a few times in April. He and I ran into each other in December at Mayfair while we were both pushing our strollers around with newborns. I just can't believe that they're already on the class of '14 thread, when I remember posting in the class of '08 thread.

1) I am old.

For whoever commented on moving to the north east after medical school, I applied only to programs in the Phillly/Baltimore area when I was matching. Once I convinced people that I really did want to move out this way (which would be easy if you were actually from the east coast), people were very receptive, and no one thumbed their nose at MCW.

Medical school is hard, but fun. You will look back at it much like you look back at college and high school--sometimes it was fun, sometimes it was brutal, but mostly, it was a step on the path to making you who you are as a person, and as a physician. You dwell on the fond memories, especially the further you get away from it.

Congrats and best of luck to everyone, no matter what your stage of training. Enjoy.

Blah. You saying that makes me feel old... youngin'.

25 days left of my intern year... and I couldn't be happier... if it weren't for the fact that I still had 25 more days of peds left.

Xandie, Ashers, good to hear from you! It's an amazing time, this graduation stuff!

Question for current/former students, since a number of you seem to check here :). I'll be an M1 and will likely be out of the country for about 3 weeks over the Christmas holidays. Do you have exams that go right up to break, undergrad style? Is it a big deal to miss some of the first week of classes after break? Do students typically study over the holidays?

Looking forward to classes, just need to know this :)

Question for current/former students, since a number of you seem to check here :). I'll be an M1 and will likely be out of the country for about 3 weeks over the Christmas holidays. Do you have exams that go right up to break, undergrad style? Is it a big deal to miss some of the first week of classes after break? Do students typically study over the holidays?

There are exams up till the end - the schedule for the coming semester is available here.

Missing the first week back is probably manageable. Lastly, I hope there was no studying over Christmas break.

Congrats, and welcome.

Congrats and welcome to MCW!

Like the previous poster mentioned, the tentative schedule for fall is posted.

I wanted to add that the lecture audio and powerpoint slides are usually posted the day of the lecture so technically you don't even need to attend (I didn't attend most lectures). But, there are certain lecs/classes that are mandatory attendance (ex: some clinical lectures, EBM+Medical Interviewing+psych small groups, etc.) So you will have to figure out that kind of stuff.

Your last day of finals will be Dec 16, though they hold Dec 17 just in case a final has to be pushed back due to a freak snowstorm or something. I don't remember there being anything terribly important (or anything required at all) scheduled the first week in January, so you'd probably be fine skipping it. Just make up the material on your own.

Your last day of finals will be Dec 16, though they hold Dec 17 just in case a final has to be pushed back due to a freak snowstorm or something. I don't remember there being anything terribly important (or anything required at all) scheduled the first week in January, so you'd probably be fine skipping it. Just make up the material on your own.

CV block for phys was originally supposed to be "mandatory" for us, though that eventually changed. Don't know how it will be for the incoming M1's though.

CV block for phys was originally supposed to be "mandatory" for us, though that eventually changed. Don't know how it will be for the incoming M1's though.
CV block of phys didn't start till the third week of the semester though. We had those lectures on cell and muscle physiology first, remember?

I would definitely wait until you have the detailed schedule before you buy airline tickets. It is possible a mandatory class meeting or lecture will be scheduled and you want to know BEFORE you spend the money.

CV block of phys didn't start till the third week of the semester though. We had those lectures on cell and muscle physiology first, remember?

Um...........no. My bad. That was block one. If it were block 4, then I may have had a slight chance of remembering, LOL.

New kids on the block, listen to this guy about scheduling. He's usually on top of these kinds of things.

FREE bedroom furniture!

I have a dresser, 3-drawer chest with hutch, and a pair nightstands, nothing matches, all somewhat the worse for wear, but all absolutely free if you pick it up by Monday, June 7. PM me if interested.

FREE bedroom furniture!

I have a dresser, 3-drawer chest with hutch, and a pair nightstands, nothing matches, all somewhat the worse for wear, but all absolutely free if you pick it up by Monday, June 7. PM me if interested.
if that doesn't work, just Craigslist it. I've got a checkerboard shot glass set and some shoe racks to get rid of that way.

I just Freecycled them and they're leaving today. YAY!

Hey to all the people who have ordered white coats: how is the sizing? They say get one size bigger, but that depends on how big their sizes are, i.e. sizes from one clothing store are different from sizes from another... Are they basically typical T-shirt sizes (those ones you usually get for free, where mediums are huge and smalls are not really that small)? Or do they run smaller? Does it even matter...until 3rd year?

Aah I agree with the posters above who said all this ANGEL and OASIS stuff is making med school feel a lot closerrr. scarrry.

I ordered a M and ended up with a Small. I don't think it really matters, they have boxes and boxes of them and you just walk in the room and try it on. If it doesn't fit, grab a different size.

Oh sweet, that helps a lot. Thanks!

Hey to all the people who have ordered white coats: how is the sizing? They say get one size bigger, but that depends on how big their sizes are, i.e. sizes from one clothing store are different from sizes from another... Are they basically typical T-shirt sizes (those ones you usually get for free, where mediums are huge and smalls are not really that small)? Or do they run smaller? Does it even matter...until 3rd year?

Aah I agree with the posters above who said all this ANGEL and OASIS stuff is making med school feel a lot closerrr. scarrry.

Well, you have to wear it over your clothes, so you probably want to go one size up. As CAPiTAtwo said, you can change it later.

As for using it before 3rd year, yes, you will need it. All students have to take part in a mentor program that requires you to visit and shadow a physician at least 6 times the first year. You are expected to wear your coat for those. Generally, anytime you are shadowing you are expected to wear the coat. Also, if you choose certain Pathways, you might have to wear the coat more often than others (for example, Master Clinician would generally wear it more often than World Health). Lastly, there are a couple of days when you are required to wear the coat, three times in biochemistry and the final exam for your interviewing course. In second year, you will need the coat even more often because of the clinical exam course. So in general, you will need the coat, and you should make sure that it fits and you can work in it, because you will need it.

Most people probably wear a medium coat, unless you're fairly petite or fairly big.