MCW Class of 2014!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Michael Schwabenlander is the conduit for administrative staff who have announcements to make but either don't know how to use or don't have access to the mass e-mail functions. So an e-mail from him can really be from Dr. Holloway or Leslie Mack or Financial Aid or anyone with important (or trivial) messages for you. I suggest at least opening the message to see who it's really from.

Members don't see this ad.

A couple other random questions for you all.

...Also, anyone have experience with the Credit Unions around town?

Not as important now, but just wondering, do we get bus passes as a part of student fees?

Thanks for all the help! :D

I just google-mapped 'credit unions' and ended up going with Educator's Credit Union and that worked fine for me. I was living on 75th & Burleigh, so there was a branch close to there and I haven't had any problems, other than the tellers being very stone-faced and uninterested.

We do not get bus passes, unfortunately. I wish we did, I'd use the bus a lot more often since the 67 line goes from 76th to right out front on Watertown Plk.

We do not get bus passes, unfortunately. I wish we did, I'd use the bus a lot more often since the 67 line goes from 76th to right out front on Watertown Plk.

We voted that down M1 year (2005-2006). They were going to raise our fees by a lot in order to include bus passes that the majority of people said they wouldn't use. It was also going to be mandatory for all students to pay the fee even if they never set foot on the bus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we have to wear and suits or dresses for anything during the first year?

Just the two formal dances... But those are obviously optional.

If you're a guy you will have to wear a shirt and tie for lots of things though. Ditto something nice that can go under your white coat for the girls. No suit coats or dresses required though.

Your white coat is too small for a suit jacket to fit comfortably under it, so guys just wear shirts/ties and slacks. If I remember correctly, there are very few times when you HAD to wear the coat:
3-4 biochemistry guest lectures
6 days at your mentor
Final for your interviewing class
Anything else optional that you do in the hospital you can wear the coat for, such as mentors and things of that nature, but even then some doctors are pretty lax on the coats.

Like Raryn said, wearing actual formal wear is pretty rare. There were two formals for the students, but there are also multiple "wine and cheese" meetings with the Deans that you can go to and I think your supposed to look nice for those too. Also if you are meeting someone to have them be an advisor or mentor, you're supposed to look nice for that too to show professionalism.

We voted that down M1 year (2005-2006). They were going to raise our fees by a lot in order to include bus passes that the majority of people said they wouldn't use. It was also going to be mandatory for all students to pay the fee even if they never set foot on the bus.

Makes sense. I don't know of anyone else in my class who uses the bus...the few times that I did ride and wait on the corner of 87th & Watertown Plk, other students looked at me like I was a lost child :laugh:

only 3 wks of summer left :(

Thankfully! There have definitely been some really fun times this summer, but I'm very ready to get started working already. I feel like my life has been on hold for a long time now, and I'm ready to start moving forward.

So what's the final verdict on the iPhone/smartphone deal for MCW students? Are M1's going to use them, or do we just need them by 3rd year?

Last I heard was that they might be integrating it for those M1s in the pilot program. Not the whole class though.

Everyone not in the pilot will get it at the end of M2.

aiming this at the short notice crowd but I've got a bedroom open in a great 2 bedroom plus den apt on Milwaukee ave (about 1 mile from campus). I'm an entering M1 and signed a lease with my girlfriend who, due to unfortunate employment circumstances won't be able to move down for most of the year. Its spacious on the second floor of a 2 unit building in a really quiet neighborhood. Rent for the whole place is $750 plus utilities which I say we just split down the middle.

PM me with an email if you're interested and I'll send you photos and an address

Is easy to get around via public bus? The Milwaukee bus map looks like it covers a lot of area. Are the buses a reliable mode of transportation I can depend on? Do they arrive frequently? Are they acceptably frequent late at night? Is it reasonably fast to travel to most places by bus? Do you have to do a million transfers to get to most places I might want to go to?

i.e., Can I depend on the public busses to get me almost everywhere I need to go, when I need to go, and with reasonable speed and ease?
The bus isn't that great. You can make it work as an M1/M2, but I would definitely plan on owning a car for your clinical years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it matter what we wear for orientation week? With this kind of weather, I'd rather be wearing shorts :p

I felt under dressed on the first day in jeans and a polo, but after the first day, everyone wore whatever they want.

Same experience. I do think you get your pic taken one day for your ID and once more for some database so probably best to hold the Senor Frogs shirt until week 2.

Wear whatever. I think I wore a polo and shorts for ID day, and a t-shirt and shorts throughout the week.

I saw some of the guys wearing dress shirts with neckties for ID day, but I think they were in the minority.

Btw, this was last year.

Damn, I can't believe a new class has started, and I'm not there any more. I think Ashers will be in her last year of residency when you guys start M3, so maybe you'll meet her then. ;)

Have fun! Times really does go by fast.

Damn, I can't believe a new class has started, and I'm not there any more. I think Ashers will be in her last year of residency when you guys start M3, so maybe you'll meet her then. ;)

Have fun! Times really does go by fast.

Hope intern year is treating you well.

Now that's just scary that: 1) I'm no longer an intern or med student. 2) You can count down to my last year of residency with this med school class.

Anatomy: Netter (drawn atlas) & a lot of people like Rohen (picture atlas). If you join the AMA for a four year membership you'll get the full set of Netter flash cards as well, which are a decent study tool.

Don't buy Moore (anatomy textbook), most useless book *ever*

Anatomy: netter (for me, this was a must)
Oh, and like Raryn said DONT BUY MOORE it's useless. I made the same mistake as him.

Lots of people bought Moore from the bookstore today, but I haven't heard it recommended once by any upper classmen. The few that talked about it, advised against buying it. Might check it out if the library has a copy just in case.

Lots of people bought Moore from the bookstore today, but I haven't heard it recommended once by any upper classmen. The few that talked about it, advised against buying it. Might check it out if the library has a copy just in case.

Moore is worth it for the blue boxes- first block harps on the blue boxes. You will be fine without it, but it is nice to reference from time to time. The library will have a copy.

Hope the first day was exhilarating!

There is really only one book that you NEED, and that is Netter for anatomy.
As for Moore, it was an easy read, but not too useful. Ask around your class and the M2s and see if you can get a gunner's list from previous years. One of them has the blue boxes charted out for each test.

Greetings M1's, from the c/o 2012. I see you guys have just started school. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope intern year is treating you well.

Now that's just scary that: 1) I'm no longer an intern or med student. 2) You can count down to my last year of residency with this med school class.
Good so far. Not doing as much surgerizing as I'd like.

How fast the little ones grow up!! ;)

Moore is worth it for the blue boxes- first block harps on the blue boxes. You will be fine without it, but it is nice to reference from time to time. The library will have a copy.

Hope the first day was exhilarating!
Get files from your big sib or one of your classmates. There's 2-3 very good summaries of all of the blue boxes floating around.

Everyone still alive after the 1st round of exams? :D

Yeah, I'm still alive, but it's been about 4 years since that first round. Ahhh, back in the day when "block 2!!!!" was so dreaded (head and neck in anatomy, metabolism in biochem). We didn't have "genetics" like you guys do (did?), so I'm not sure how bad it is now.

Yeah, I'm still alive, but it's been about 4 years since that first round. Ahhh, back in the day when "block 2!!!!" was so dreaded (head and neck in anatomy, metabolism in biochem). We didn't have "genetics" like you guys do (did?), so I'm not sure how bad it is now.
Its the same as it ever was. "Genetics" is a week of biochem and a week of devo, with a week of some population genetics thrown in there (which was in phys once upon a time).

Biochem and devo are the same in block 2 as they always were (looking at old exams).

I feel so nostalgic for the days of camping out in nerd rooms with my friends, with Mountain Dew cans overflowing the garbage cans stuffed with pizza boxes from some noon conference we all went to just for the free pizza.

^Man, sounds like I'm missing out. Haven't studied at school since the first week of M1, I prefer sitting at my desk at home in my boxers listening to Springsteen through speakers instead of those annoying earbuds.

My earbuds produce better sound than my home theater speakers (and that's saying a lot), and my earbuds cost 4x as much as my computer speakers :p I've got the Etymotics er6i earbuds.

I could never study at home. I would waste so much time and then take a nap.

My earbuds produce better sound than my home theater speakers (and that's saying a lot), and my earbuds cost 4x as much as my computer speakers :p I've got the Etymotics er6i earbuds.

I could never study at home. I would waste so much time and then take a nap.

I got some ER6i's but it doesn't feel very comfortable after a while. I tend to use ATH-A900's a lot more, and ER6i's only when I need the convenience of mobility.

I got some ER6i's but it doesn't feel very comfortable after a while. I tend to use ATH-A900's a lot more, and ER6i's only when I need the convenience of mobility.
Haven't heard of those before, but wow, those look like some serious headphones. I mostly used my iPod while studying at school or at the WAC, and I wanted some real low-profile earbuds. I used some cheaper Sony ones most of the time as an M1/M2, and they were pretty comfortable. I got the ER6i's later on. They're great if you're studying in a louder place and don't want to blast the music to drown out the noises.

Does MCW have junior AOA?

Does anyone know how junior AOA versus senior AOA is selected at MCW?

Friends at other schools seem to know their requirements to qualify for AOA but MCW seems so secretive and unwilling to even acknowledge the existence of the organization.

Friends at other schools seem to know their requirements to qualify for AOA but MCW seems so secretive and unwilling to even acknowledge the existence of the organization.
Perhaps one of the upperclassmen can better answer your question, but from what I've heard, our junior AOA is based on primarily M3 grades and board scores. Senior AOA takes other activities (community service, etc) into consideration.

Yes, they do. I think 8 people got it from my class, and it was mostly people who honored basically everything up to that point and blew Step 1 out of the water.

Hmmm, it wasn't like that when I was there.

Yes, they do. I think 8 people got it from my class, and it was mostly people who honored basically everything up to that point and blew Step 1 out of the water.

Hmmm, it wasn't like that when I was there.

So was this at the beginning of 3rd year that they announced it or was it after clinical grades were in?