MCW, UIC, or Rush?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WCGee

Super Awesome Person
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who prefers what? They're all good schools...

Members don't see this ad.

I am not gonna lie Rush seems to be the most mysterious...no invites sent out yet

Just so you know, MCW happens to have the most active class thread in the Allo forum. That has to count for something. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are a WI resident, MCW. a IL resident, UIC. these schools are too similar to nitpick in my opinion, might as well save some money.

The secondary for Rush kind of stinks. It takes a lot of time. I have heard great things about the school though!

UIC is like a powerhouse for medical schools, MCW is alright but not as good rep as rush or uic. My preference: UIC > Rush > MCW..now if your talking about UW-M..than UM > ALL OF THEM!@#!@ GO UW-M!

we have one of these threads already? oh boy....

MCW!

UIC is like a powerhouse for medical schools, MCW is alright but not as good rep as rush or uic. My preference: UIC > Rush > MCW..now if your talking about UW-M..than UM > ALL OF THEM!@#!@ GO UW-M!

why do you say this?? Right now I'm not too fond of UIC. They are slow and unorganized. I hear it is cut-throat and doesn't have good match rates. Plus it is HUGE! I honestly wish I lived in a different state with a more prestigous state school... I don't mean to bash, I just want to get an idea of where you are coming from on this one, b/c if I go on and interview and like Illinois half as much as some outa state publics, I could possibly save a ton of money. Enlighten me!

Yeah, I'm also an IL resident and I really don't hear that many good things about UIC. People seem to love MCW, though, and I'm getting kinda pissed at Rush for being so slow about everything...

People seem to love MCW, though...

Just wait until you attend the pre-interview "social" complete with appearance by star rapper Mystikal and the finest exotic dancers this side of Lake Michigan. Oh, and that free porsche they set your mom up with is pretty nice too.

Seriously though, it can't be too bad here if I'm able to sit around and think crap like this up all day.

Just wait until you attend the pre-interview "social" complete with appearance by star rapper Mystikal and the finest exotic dancers this side of Lake Michigan. Oh, and that free porsche they set your mom up with is pretty nice too.

Seriously though, it can't be too bad here if I'm able to sit around and think crap like this up all day.

I like MCW. Mainly because of the people here. Definitely not the weather, but had weather been the deciding factor, I would've just stayed at home and gone to UH.

I like MCW. Mainly because of the people here. Definitely not the weather, but had weather been the deciding factor, I would've just stayed at home and gone to UH.

Yeah, i love the environment. I'm not a fan of a good chunk of the lectures though. exceptions are most of physiology and anatomy.

Yeah, I'm also an IL resident and I really don't hear that many good things about UIC. People seem to love MCW, though, and I'm getting kinda pissed at Rush for being so slow about everything...

I'm an illinois resident too, and i think the problem with UIC is that people associate it with the undergrad campus - and most people don't have very good things to say about UIC as an udergraduate institution (seems to be a step above community college but below all the rest of the four-year state schools and not even in the same league as U of IL at Champaign).

However, it does seem to be relatively well-respected in the medical community. That said, I have never heard anyone, even within the medical community, say that UIC is better than Rush. The only advantage of UIC over Rush would be the research funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a U of I (not UIC) student, I agree with your reasoning. Very few people at my school choose UIC over Rush, it's always seen as Loyola>Rush>UIC. That being said, I guess I was just wondering where MCW fits in...

Being a U of I (not UIC) student, I agree with your reasoning. Very few people at my school choose UIC over Rush, it's always seen as Loyola>Rush>UIC. That being said, I guess I was just wondering where MCW fits in...

how would you rank all of the chicago schools? with northwestern and pritzker in the mix?

how would you rank all of the chicago schools? with northwestern and pritzker in the mix?

Pritzker
Northwestern
Loyola
Rush
UIC
Rosalind Franklin (not really Chicago, but close enough)

and, as for where MCW fits in, I would put it in the Loyola/Rush tier probably. this is mainly based on my experiences with the students/faculty at the hospital there (my parents live outside milwaukee), and based on the overall impression i've heard from docs talking about various schools.

Pritzker
Northwestern
Loyola
Rush
UIC

and, as for where MCW fits in, I would put it in the Loyola/Rush tier probably. this is mainly based on my experiences with the students/faculty at the hospital there (my parents live outside milwaukee), and based on the overall impression i've heard from docs talking about various schools.

Agreed.

Northwestern seems harder to get into, but Pritzker seems better to me on all accounts :).

Pritzker
Northwestern
Loyola
Rush
UIC

Not having been to Loyola/Rush, but from what I've heard from students/docs, I'd say you're about right (I'm at MCW). We do have leather seats in the M1 auditorium though!

:( I'll keep dreaming. As if I need anything else to help me sleep.

Northwestern seems harder to get into, but Pritzker seems better to me on all accounts :).

i think northwestern is harder to get into just because they get so many more applications due to their sweet location. realistically, they're probably about the same in status - but I agree, for no specific reason, prtizker seems to have a little bit of an edge for seeming more prestigious.

Pritzker definitely seems more prestigious, but most people I know prefer Northwestern...I think I automatically equate Pritzer with research (which I NEVER want to do again), so that may skew my own opinions...

Well, I'm on HOLD at MCW (Pre-Interview) so I am not in love with that right now.

I have an interview at UIC, so I'm pretty excited about that.

Haven't heard from Rush, but I do love their campus/facilities...

Have an interview at Loyola, am over the moon about that one.

It all depends on what you want.... UIC gives you great research opportunities and exposure to a diverse patient population. They are also affiliated with great hospitals etc. Rush, Loyola, and MCW students are probably happier!! My top choices in Chicago are UofC and Northwestern- they are in a whole different category!!

PS: PLEASE READ THE UIC FINANCIAL INFORMATION CAREFULLY- YEAR 2 AND 3 COST MORE THAN THE TUITION LISTED!!!

It does seem to me that overall, MCW students are the happiest...

PS: PLEASE READ THE UIC FINANCIAL INFORMATION CAREFULLY- YEAR 2 AND 3 COST MORE THAN THE TUITION LISTED!!!

Please correct my ignorance, but doesn't tuition go up every year for every school? Also, I think years 2-3 includes cost of the boards and diagnostic kit. At least that's the case for MCW. :)

Please correct my ignorance, but doesn't tuition go up every year for every school? Also, I think years 2-3 includes cost of the boards and diagnostic kit. At least that's the case for MCW. :)
clarification- the tuition for uic and u of c.... maybe some others too is almost 10,000 more for 2 years. some schools spread that cost out over all four years and quote that number. the boards etc. seem to be included in living expenses in the student budget- not in the tuition. uic quotes a figure like 25,000, but that is only accurate for years 1 and 4. years 2 and 3 are significantly more b/c you are charged for 12 months not 9.... i don't have exact numbers in front of me, but i can post them tomorrow if you are interested. i just find it interesting b/c uic uses their "low" tuition as a selling point. as i see it it isn't much less than other schools (somewhat, but not enough to brag about!).... they have plenty of other great attributes!

uic quotes a figure like 25,000, but that is only accurate for years 1 and 4. years 2 and 3 are significantly more b/c you are charged for 12 months not 9....

oh very tricksy.

before i was going by the numbers from us news.... but it seems like those are only for the first year (at some schools). i guess it's just the way they report the figures.... just something to keep in mind! not sure about loyola or northwestern? uic is still cheaper- just not as "cheap" as some think based on websites and books :)

mcw
m1-m4 34,538

uic
m1 24,122
m2 32,404
m3 32,404
m4 24,122

u of c
m1 32,022
m2 32,022
m3 42,188
m4 42,188

mcw m1-m4 34,538

That's just the tuition, however, the costs at MCW go up because of the budgeted amounts for the length of the school year.

M1 and M2 year 10 months. M3 and M4 years are 12 and 11 months, respectively, so they're more expensive. M3 year here is the most expensive -- if you're considering how much money you're gonna need to borrow to survive.

uggg- $$$

that's true for every school- i think....
at least an extra $5,000 just for living- not to mention boards, interviews, etc. etc.

the total estimated budget for u of c is $252,962. ha ha ha
uic and mcw are about the same at $190,000....

i just started really looking at numbers after my interview at uic. i was taking things one step at a time.... now that i have interviews, i'll think about the $$. it really is insane- worth it, but insane :)

Would living expenses be lower at MCW than at the Chicago schools?

Well, the budget for rent/utilities is $550/month, and I know lots of people who have that or lower. I live by myself, so it's more expensive for me. Gas is also cheaper in Milwaukee than Chicago... at least from what I"ve seen by driving down there every few months.

the total estimated budget for u of c is $252,962. ha ha ha
uic and mcw are about the same at $190,000....

keep in mind that may take into account how "realistic" the living expense budget is. UIC may have a lower expected budget than U of C, but it may be because they think you can pay rent/utilities/groceries/gas/entertainment all on $500 a month or something ridiculous while U of C probably allows a higher living budget.

For example, here's an estimate:
Rent - $500 (this is almost impossible in Chicago if you live alone, but doable if you have a roommate - i.e. splitting $1000 rent) Rent most likely will include gas/water in chicago.
Utilities - cell phone ($40), cable ($40), internet ($50), electric ($75)
Groceries - $200 a month
Gas - $50 a month (variable based on commute obviously)
Freetime - $50 a month (just a guess)

So that already has cost of living sitting just above $10,000 (and that was without the estimates for cable and internet which some people choose not to have).

This also doesn't include car payments, car insurance, health costs, and a bunch of other stuff. most schools don't do a very realistic job of calculating an annual budget, so those estimate four-year budgets are somewhat worthless.

keep in mind that may take into account how "realistic" the living expense budget is. UIC may have a lower expected budget than U of C, but it may be because they think you can pay rent/utilities/groceries/gas/entertainment all on $500 a month or something ridiculous while U of C probably allows a higher living budget.

For example, here's an estimate:
Rent - $500 (this is almost impossible in Chicago if you live alone, but doable if you have a roommate - i.e. splitting $1000 rent) Rent most likely will include gas/water in chicago.
Utilities - cell phone ($40), cable ($40), internet ($50), electric ($75)
Groceries - $200 a month
Gas - $50 a month (variable based on commute obviously)
Freetime - $50 a month (just a guess)

So that already has cost of living sitting just above $10,000 (and that was without the estimates for cable and internet which some people choose not to have).

This also doesn't include car payments, car insurance, health costs, and a bunch of other stuff. most schools don't do a very realistic job of calculating an annual budget, so those estimate four-year budgets are somewhat worthless.
there are some differences in the living expenses in the estimated budget, but most of the difference in total cost is due to the tuition ($48,000).... u of c also allows for quite a bit in transportation costs. according to the students at uic- it's fairly "easy" to get a little extra $ if you need it. no matter what the cost is crazy everywhere. it's so hard to imagine that sort of debt!

i hope to get in to u of c- i'll suck it up and take the loans!! i've been in grad school at uic for 5 years.... i'm ready to move on :)

before i was going by the numbers from us news.... but it seems like those are only for the first year (at some schools). i guess it's just the way they report the figures.... just something to keep in mind! not sure about loyola or northwestern? uic is still cheaper- just not as "cheap" as some think based on websites and books :)

mcw
m1-m4 34,538

uic
m1 24,122
m2 32,404
m3 32,404
m4 24,122

u of c
m1 32,022
m2 32,022
m3 42,188
m4 42,188

That is really tricky...damn, then UIC and MCW are pretty comparable in terms of price, no?

That is really tricky...damn, then UIC and MCW are pretty comparable in terms of price, no?
exactly- i guess that was my point before i started listing a bunch of numbers....

:)

why do you say this?? Right now I'm not too fond of UIC. They are slow and unorganized. I hear it is cut-throat and doesn't have good match rates. Plus it is HUGE! I honestly wish I lived in a different state with a more prestigous state school... I don't mean to bash, I just want to get an idea of where you are coming from on this one, b/c if I go on and interview and like Illinois half as much as some outa state publics, I could possibly save a ton of money. Enlighten me!

If you are looking for a cush school that will hold your hand and have everything absolutely organized for you, don't go to UIC. It's a public school and people who work there are employees of the state.

It's not cut-throat at all in my opinion. The grading is Honors/Pass/Fail. No matter what school you go to, if you are shooting for honors, there will be tough competition. In terms of just passing though, people are extremely helpful in sharing notes, posting old tests/study guides, and in general sharing resources.

Yes the school is huge. The incoming class this year has around 175 students I think. You either like it or you don't - there is huge variety in people so you can find friends easily.

Not a good match list? You've got to be kidding. UIC has an excellent match list. Considering many students want to stay in the Chicago area (and hence aren't gunning to go to MGH or Hopkins), the match list is actually really impressive in my opinion. Check it our for yourself. http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/careers/index.html Click on UIC Match Results on the left. If you are ambitious and work hard, you will have no problems going to a great residency. UIC has a national reputation for producing some of best trained medical students in the country - just ask around.

My choice hands down was (obviously) UIC. I turned down Rush and a bunch of other similar schools for UIC and I don't regret it for a minute. One thing to note - UIC students don't have the pride that other medical students seem to have. Dealing with the administration here is hit or miss and I think that can irritate a lot of students, but this is no way interferes with the quality of education you'll get at UIC - I'd venture to say it's second to none.

I'm an illinois resident too, and i think the problem with UIC is that people associate it with the undergrad campus - and most people don't have very good things to say about UIC as an udergraduate institution (seems to be a step above community college but below all the rest of the four-year state schools and not even in the same league as U of IL at Champaign).

However, it does seem to be relatively well-respected in the medical community. That said, I have never heard anyone, even within the medical community, say that UIC is better than Rush. The only advantage of UIC over Rush would be the research funding.

Everyone at UIC thinks UIC is better than Rush. Our dean clearly indicated to us his ranking of Chicago medical schools. NU=UofC > UIC > Rush = Loyola >> Rosalind Franklin

agree with that ranking.... and that's the sense that i get from most professionals. unfortunately uic seems to get a rep. as a second-rate school or something. i have friends at some of the other chicago schools and they really do get babied :) it all depends on what is important to you!

ps: even at my interview uic wasn't presented well! there are so many great things about the school, but you didn't hear those things at the interview. it was almost like it was assumed that we wouldn't go there.... my interviewer even said, "you won't come here, will you?" i thought that was VERY unprofessional and made the school look bad!!

chitown, thanks for your response. First off, I really had no info at all about match rates and wanted it. I figured if i posted an extreme that I'd either get a "they aren't THAT bad" response, or a "you know nothing" response. I'm glad i got the second.

Second, I don't need the "let's hold hands and get thru this together" deal. I got to UofI UC right now and think i've gone to office hours 2 times in a little of 3 years. That being said, I do want a school that is professional enough to not procrastinate like a high school student adn put everything off to the last possible moment. If i e-mail an important question to the powers that be, I want a response in a timely manner. If I'm paying med school tuition, i think this is a fair request.

Again, thanks for painting a positive picture for me so I at least have a better idea of what UIC is all about!

in terms of cost, don't forget MCW students from WI get a $5500 state capitation credit, so tuition is <$30,000. :D i love Wisconsin. go cheese!

Everyone at UIC thinks UIC is better than Rush. Our dean clearly indicated to us his ranking of Chicago medical schools. NU=UofC > UIC > Rush = Loyola >> Rosalind Franklin

Why is loyola so low?

Check out the U.S. News ranking of hospitals. For what it's worth Rush has a pretty good showing. They often out rank U of C and Northwestern in many of the specialties. I didn't see Loyola, University of Illinois Medical Center or hospitals located in Milwaukee too often on the lists. Something to keep in mind during the third and forth years, I guess.

Why is loyola so low?

Yeah, I don't understand that either...I always heard Loyola>Rush>UIC...I mean, it's not like I'm in any position to be choosy, but still, this is news to me.

depends on what you're looking for...

these rankings are all subjective!
but what about this whole process isn't??

I believe UIC receives the highest NIH funding from the three chicago schools excluding UofC and Northwestern and so if research is your thing, UIC may be a good fit for you. Now i have a handful of friends who are m1's there right now, and they really have nothing good to say about the school but at the same time, they wanted to focus more on primary care rather than research.

I did also hear that Rush is much more organized in regards to how they present the material; they give you everything you need to read and know whereas everything is up in the air at UIC.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for in a school and the learning method that best suits you.

Yeah, I don't understand that either...I always heard Loyola>Rush>UIC...I mean, it's not like I'm in any position to be choosy, but still, this is news to me.

that's the general consensus. however, if you'll notice, that other ranking system was being quoted as being said by the dean of UIC...kinda have to expect that the dean is not going to say, "we're the bottom school in chicago with the exception of rosalind franklin."

outside of that dean's impression, i have never heard UIC ranked above Loyola or Rush.

I also got the same comment in my UIC interview that someone else mentioned where the interviewer point blank stated that he didn't think i'd actually come to UIC because I'd get in other places. Kinda doesn't give you a very positive impression of a school. While I certainly don't think UIC is a bad school, I do think it is seen as the "back-up" school for a lot of Illinois residents...and they seem very aware of that fact.