MCW vs. Rosalind Franklin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Dude21

Reaction score
CA resident with two OOS options... interested in Derm or Ortho at this point

MCW Milwaukee
Pros
  • Strong research availability
  • Several large hospitals surround the campus for rotations etc.
  • Home residency programs
  • 9 students matched to ortho in 2023
  • affordable COL + slightly cheaper than RFU

Cons
  • Milwaukee not as directly appealing as Chicago and not planning on staying there for residency
  • New fusion curriculum starts with our class (+ or -?)... haven't heard if attendance is mandatory
  • Want to come back to Southern CA, and it doesn't seem like many students matched there

Chicago Med at RFU
Pros

• Chicago seems like a cool place to live with direct flights home... RFU is outside CHI but would likely live downtown for rotations
  • Impressive match list that included several CA residencies plus Northwestern, UIC... more desirable to attend residency in CHI as well
  • mostly non-mandatory recorded classes

Cons
  • Have heard north Chicago is tough the first two years
  • No home residency programs or main hospital .... research at Rush etc. necessary?
  • Probable long commutes for rotations
  • only two ortho matches last year (although at seemingly strong programs UCLA/CO Boulder)
  • slightly more expensive

Summary: At this point leaning towards MCW because of the research/networking opportunities necessary for matching into competitive specialties. Open to going where I will have the best chance to match back into CA or somewhere strong.

Members don't see this ad.

I would look at match lists from multiple years, but even then they are hard to interpret, since they depend on a lot of factors like how strong the applicants are and where they want to match. Based on your list, I think that having home residency programs and stronger research would make me lean towards MCW. Especially if you are shooting for a very competitive specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
I would look at match lists from multiple years, but even then they are hard to interpret, since they depend on a lot of factors like how strong the applicants are and where they want to match. Based on your list, I think that having home residency programs and stronger research would make me lean towards MCW. Especially if you are shooting for a very competitive specialty.
That definitely makes sense! Thank you so much for your time and advice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think MCW here, seems like it’s pretty important to have a home program for competitive specialities. Also, i would guess that a lot of people that go to MCW are probably from wisconsin or from the Midwest and would want to return home, leading to the decreased Amt of California matches

I think MCW here, seems like it’s pretty important to have a home program for competitive specialities. Also, i would guess that a lot of people that go to MCW are probably from wisconsin or from the Midwest and would want to return home, leading to the decreased Amt of California matches
That’s a great point, thank you much appreciated!!

RFU M1 here. RFU's a good time- North Chicago isn't as terrible so long as you have a car. Here's my objective take though. Research chances are probably a bit more conducive at MCW, and the home program is super advantageous. Cost is a big deal too. So unless you find a massive problem at MCW between now and when you have to commit OR you get a scholarship to RFU, I'd also agree with MCW.

Reactions: 1 users
RFU M1 here. RFU's a good time- North Chicago isn't as terrible so long as you have a car. Here's my objective take though. Research chances are probably a bit more conducive at MCW, and the home program is super advantageous. Cost is a big deal too. So unless you find a massive problem at MCW between now and when you have to commit OR you get a scholarship to RFU, I'd also agree with MCW.
Appreciate this take and your honesty. Doesn’t seem like MCW gives out much need-based scholarship $. I’d need to commit there by June 5 and RFU says that aid award letters likely won’t be out till June so we will see