Md 2 pa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressluver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of new graduate physicians becoming PAs without completing an internship or residency? My sister for personal reasons wants to become a PA without doing a residency after she graduates medical school this year. I looked on the PANCE website, and they say that currently MDs cannot challenge the certifying PA exam, but I am wondering if anyone knows of any other options.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of new graduate physicians becoming PAs without completing an internship or residency? My sister for personal reasons wants to become a PA without doing a residency after she graduates medical school this year. I looked on the PANCE website, and they say that currently MDs cannot challenge the certifying PA exam, but I am wondering if anyone knows of any other options.

I think that this has been discussed on here... in my opinion, she needs to just do one prelim year of internship so she can get her license and then go from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of anyone wanting to do that. If she graduates from an MD school why would she want to become a PA? Why doesn't she want to do a residency?

That is a shame. I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that. :confused:

Aside from all the expense AND time invested into the whole "medical school thing", there are just so many practice options available. Does she want more time w/ family? Plenty of docs work part-time. I mean, there are just so many different ways of practicing in terms of lifestyle, etc.

It boggles the mind.

Yeah I don't see what being a PA offers over an MD when you've already invested all the time and effort of going to medical school. She really should just do the residency then go practice.

You have to be a graduate from an ARC-PA accredited PA school. No other options.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Maybe she doesn't feel she can handle the responsibility. As a PA, she can defer to her supervising MD on difficult cases.

Maybe she doesn't feel she can handle the responsibility. As a PA, she can defer to her supervising MD on difficult cases.

Maybe. But if she is graduating from medical school I'm pretty sure she has what it takes to be at least a decent doctor. In real life it's not like PA's are deferring to docs all that much unless the case is super crazy or something. She could always just go into primary care as a physician so it won't be as stressful to get into a residency and she could have the same role while making more money and having more options should she want to subspecialize later on in life.