MD 2020-2021 Odds / Opinions / Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Seeee..that's why a complete name change is a much better solution.
All kidding aside, I remember some discussion about this last year, in connection with the residency merger.

There are very complicated politics behind everything they do, and there is no "better " or easy solution. Calling Drexel Penn doesn't make it so, so it's not about a name change.

In my opinion, it would be about tightening up admission requirements, and they just don't have the depth of applicant pool to do so. How do you force @EdgeTrimmer's kid to apply DO and not T10, and force Penn to take half its class from PCOM in order to shake things up and equalize them in order to remove stigma?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All kidding aside, I remember some discussion about this last year, in connection with the residency merger.

There are very complicated politics behind everything they do, and there is no "better " or easy solution. Calling Drexel Penn doesn't make it so, so it's not about a name change.

In my opinion, it would be about tightening up admission requirements, and they just don't have the depth of applicant pool to do so. How do you force @EdgeTrimmer's kid to apply DO and not T10, and force Penn to take half its class from PCOM in order to shake things up and equalize them in order to remove stigma?

I'm talking about changing the name "DO" to "MD"...I guess that would be impractical, but then who would care what US medical school they got their degree from. I actually have a genuine question and excuse me for being naive about this, but what does it actually mean to have a holistic approach to medicine? What does that entail? Does allopathic not teach students to treat patients holistically?
 
I'm talking about changing the name "DO" to "MD"...I guess that would be impractical, but then who would care what US medical school they got their degree from. I actually have a genuine question and excuse me for being naive about this, but what does it actually mean to have a holistic approach to medicine? What does that entail? Does allopathic not teach students to treat patients holistically?

it’s a buzzword. That’s it.
 
I'm talking about changing the name "DO" to "MD"...I guess that would be impractical, but then who would care what US medical school they got their degree from. I actually have a genuine question and excuse me for being naive about this, but what does it actually mean to have a holistic approach to medicine? What does that entail? Does allopathic not teach students to treat patients holistically?
I'm telling you, it's politics. It's not just a name. It's an entirely different system, with its own accreditation, teaching method, etc.

Are all the DO muckity mucks going to cede their authority to their MD counterparts? No? I think you might have your answer. MD certainly has no burning need to bring them into the fold. @Goro can provide the inside scoop if he is so inclined. I don't think the DO poobahs care about their so-called second class status. They're fine. It's really more a premed, SDN thing.

But, to your other point -- if everything was MD, who would care what US medical school they got their degree from? I dunno. CNU, Stanford, JHU, Penn, UCLA, Albany, Drexel, Penn, FAU, UCSF, Ponce. All US MD schools. No difference, who cares, right?
 
I'm talking about changing the name "DO" to "MD"...I guess that would be impractical, but then who would care what US medical school they got their degree from. I actually have a genuine question and excuse me for being naive about this, but what does it actually mean to have a holistic approach to medicine? What does that entail? Does allopathic not teach students to treat patients holistically?
MDs say they are god but DOs say god is responsible for the outcomes hence it's holistic.
 
I don't think the DO poobahs care about their so-called second class status. They're fine. It's really more a premed, SDN thing.
What percentage of DOs get specialties like Dermatology, Ortho? Once you gain experience no one cares. My Ortho did DO and my MD wife had explicitly recommended him.
 
Didn't care that my dermatologist came from UIowa ‍
Fair enough, but you do realize that applicants do stratify, don't you?

Stanford applicants tend not to apply to CHSU, and vice versa. We are talking about stigmas, and that is driven more by applicants than patients. You might not care where your dermatologist went to school, but the odds are very high that if you are high stat, you will care where you go to school. And that is the point here.

The lower your stats, the more agnostic you will become until, at some point below 3.5/510, all of a sudden there is no stigma at all to DO. 🙂
 
Last edited:
What percentage of DOs get specialties like Dermatology, Ortho? Once you gain experience no one cares. My Ortho did DO and my MD wife had explicitly recommended him.
I just LOVE all of your n=1 examples!!! 🙂

So, your kid is splitting his apps 50/50 between MD and DO, because he wants to have a variety of choices, and his MD mom explicitly recommended a DO Ortho, right? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Once you gain experience, no one cares!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 
I just LOVE all of your n=1 examples!!! 🙂

So, your kid is splitting his apps 50/50 between MD and DO, because he wants to have a variety of choices, and his MD mom explicitly recommended a DO Ortho, right? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Once you gain experience, no one cares!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I only went to one Ortho so can't come up with more examples LOL. One good example is enough to remove the stigma. You know my kid is just not about becoming a doctor otherwise he wouldn't have let two birds fly out of his hand 3 years back 🙂
 
it’s a buzzword. That’s it.

I wonder how interviewers view applicants saying they applied DO for the holistic approach to treating patients. Is being interested OMT the only way to convince someone that you're interested in DO?
 
pplied this cycle, atleast apply to few DO schools. CARS is unpredictable so don't bet on impr

Part of the reason is because SOME of the private (for profit) DO schools are diluting the training and offering huge number of admissions with limited resources (structural, hospital and clinical scenario, and limited FULL time teaching ACADEMIC faculty--some of them are using community hospitals with part time community private practice physicians).

It is quite staggering , the renowned Mayo Clinic , with 3 different large campuses, world famous physicians and resources beyond comprehension, feel they can only train 100 students per year, and will not increase since they feel the quality of training of their graduates will be compromised. Yet, we have private DO schools with very limited resources admitting close to 400 students per year .

This may be contributing to a lower prestige for DO schools within the medical universe.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad