MD accepted After 10 year journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodLawd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any one thinking they won’t ever reach their dream of med school... don’t give up. After 10 years of working full time in the med field, taking (and repeating) undergraduate courses, getting a post-bacc BS degree, doing research, volunteering, and finally studying for the MCAT.... I was accepted into an allopathic med school a few months ago. I started this journey as a fifth year high school student who EVERYONE doubted. Actually a few SDN trolls even doubted me saying it was highly likely I wouldn’t get any interviews. If I can do it, you can too. Don’t give up, believe in yourself, trust the journey, and it will work out. I’ve spent the last 10 years getting into med school and now I’m going to spend the next 4 trying to get out. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 35 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, you must have a fascinating story...

Out of curiosity, if you got accepted into an MD school a few months ago, why are you posting on the DO forum asking for advice on a school list?

I was accepted into an early assurance program 2 years ago for the class of 2022. The only catch was that I do a post bacc degree, meet a GPA/MCAT requirement. I met those requirements and I began pondering the world outside of allopathic medicine. Being that this journey has been a decade deep, I wanted to make a conscientious choice about my future. After visiting the osteopathic school and long convos with my mentors, I decided MD was for me.

Note if anyone is thinking of doing a post bacc, PM me for more info on the program I just completed (it’s the only program like it in the United States so pretty easy to figure out what school haha).

Reactions: 2 users
I was accepted into an early assurance program 2 years ago for the class of 2022. The only catch was that I do a post bacc degree, meet a GPA/MCAT requirement. I met those requirements and I began pondering the world outside of allopathic medicine. Being that this journey has been a decade deep, I wanted to make a conscientious choice about my future. After visiting the osteopathic school and long convos with my mentors, I decided MD was for me.

Note if anyone is thinking of doing a post bacc, PM me for more info on the program I just completed (it’s the only program like it in the United States so pretty easy to figure out what school haha).

Congrats!

Congrats! I was 33 when I matriculated into medical school. 37 when I started my Internal Medicine residency. 40 when I finished that up!

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats! I was 33 when I matriculated into medical school. 37 when I started my Internal Medicine residency. 40 when I finished that up!
Ahh that's amazing, congrats on your recent upgrade :). I'm leaning towards IM as well.

For any one thinking they won’t ever reach their dream of med school... don’t give up. After 10 years of working full time in the med field, taking (and repeating) undergraduate courses, getting a post-bacc BS degree, doing research, volunteering, and finally studying for the MCAT.... I was accepted into an allopathic med school a few months ago. I started this journey as a fifth year high school student who EVERYONE doubted. Actually a few SDN trolls even doubted me saying it was highly likely I wouldn’t get any interviews. If I can do it, you can too. Don’t give up, believe in yourself, trust the journey, and it will work out. I’ve spent the last 10 years getting into med school and now I’m going to spend the next 4 trying to get out. :)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::love::love::love::luck::luck::luck::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive::highfive::highfive::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::clap::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::woot::woot::woot::claps::claps::claps::biglove::biglove::biglove::banana::banana::banana::hello:

Now read this!
Goro's Guide to Success in Medical School (2017 edition)

First of all, big time congratulations! I'm glad the hard work paid off.

You should share your story on this thread: LOW GPA/MCAT Success Stories (Posts by Nontrads Already Accepted to Med School)
It was a big encouragement to me when I was going through the long Non-Trad journey to read about people who had managed it before me.

Reactions: 1 user
In keeping with the high spirits of this thread, I'll share my progress thus far. I posted the following awhile back:
Nontraditional student - spotty history

I performed excellently in two of the three courses, but fell short of an A in my online class by .5pts. Bummer.
I have my second summer session beginning tomorrow and it is also 9 credits, but I'll be more ready now since I had a few days to reflect on where my weaknesses were, and took the precautions to avoid them next time around. All in all, I'm proud of myself, but still have much learning to do.

I want to once again thank everyone who replied in my last thread with helpful, insightful comments. I've referred back to them during a few tough spots and they certainly kept me motivated.

As for OP, congratulations! I'll be back to share my experiences at major milestones, but as for everyone who reads this, I better come back and see yours as well.

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user

This is exactly what is wrong with medical schools.

They accept students every year that wouldn't attend if they had to take the MCAT twice, because thats too much of a burden for them.

This gentlemen works 10 years before being accepted.

Medical School Admissions are a living meme, especially MD.

Reactions: 1 users

It doesn't make any sense for me.

You took a 10-year journey and once you got in, you decided to research what else is out there?

If your journey was 10 years, why didn't you look into DO before?

Confusing.

It doesn't make any sense for me.

You took a 10-year journey and once you got in, you decided to research what else is out there?

If your journey was 10 years, why didn't you look into DO before?

Confusing.

Quiet honestly, it doesn't have to make sense to you. Just a food for thought but everyones story, journey, and life circumstances are beyond the words posted on SDN. Since you took the time to troll my post I'll give you a short, non comprehensive, explanation.

I dropped out of high school because my parents were heroin dependent. I had to work and fend for my basic survival rather than focus on my education. I was never guided on going to college, what different careers were like, etc. These were things I had to figure out on my own. After completing my GED later on, I began college. Fast forward 7 years and I was about to graduate with a BS degree (undergrad took so long due to personal circumstances). I began an early assurance MD program that same year. In fact, it was the only school I applied to during the last year of my BS degree. Honestly, didn't think I'd be accepted.

Given that I have balanced various aspects of my life throughout this process, the only thing I knew for sure was the end result: to become a physician. Whether it was MD or DO was something I initially planned on figuring out later, had I not gotten into my program. Though admittedly, I was sucked into the tunnel vision of MD only. After meeting the requirements to matriculate into the MD school and submitting my official application to the school this past cycle, I realized that my careers mission and goals had evolved. Therefore, I heavily contrasted MD and DO prior to dropping over 50K a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users