MD after DVM in the military - career transition questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet-vet-something

Reaction score
I'm a 38 year old 10-year active-duty military veterinarian with an MPH and boards in both prev med and lab animal medicine, but I've begun to seriously question my long-term future as a vet/vet (both in and out of uniform). I love the science and medicine, but I just feel like I'm neither making a huge difference for patients (the clinical setting is too constrained by lack of client finances and the research world just euthanizes animals if they get sick) and I'm not very far from away the compensation ceiling in the field.

There are a number of MD specialties that interest me, but I'm not sure what a path forward would look like or if this is absolute madness to even consider going back to school. I don't dislike animal medicine by any means, but I also wouldn't be devastated if I never touch another animal patient in my life.

Does anyone know of any individuals who went to med school as a second career from a remotely similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

When I first joined the military, my wing commander was a DVM/public health officer turned physician. He retired as a Major General, so I guess he found success as a physician.

My situation wasn't the same as yours in many ways, but I was prior service and worked in MEDCOM and subsequently started school when I was older than you are currently. I'm guessing the "am I too old" question is probably implied somewhere in your question, and n=1, but no, you are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
My situation wasn't the same as yours in many ways, but I was prior service and worked in MEDCOM and subsequently started school when I was older than you are currently. I'm guessing the "am I too old" question is probably implied somewhere in your question, and n=1, but no, you are not.
What’s the best source of info on options to move forward? I’m not sure where to begin with eligibility for USUHS vs HPSP vs other and figuring out waiver requirements and approval authorities?

We have a "Veterans benefits" subforum of the Non Trad forums which is really a good catch-all for military-related questions. I would ask that question there. There are lots of folks who have made the transition from AD to med school in the community.