This reply may be a little late, but I'm super interested in the field of medicine in general. I LOVE animals, more than people... I've aspired to be a vet from young, or a doctor in general. But I leaned more to vet med. However, seeing as there is a lot of dept (excluding the fact that I am also NOT a US PR or citizen. I know it's harder but it's just as hard to get into one in my home country and I've always wanted to go to the states for personal reasons), I feel discouraged by my dreams and may opt for a MD instead, because they're also both super expensive and it may be easier to pay off the dept as a MD. Hopefully in a few years time there will be some colleges offering a hybrid degree for both... that way I can actually follow my dreams...
I really don't know what to opt for. Well, I'm still a sophomore in high school. But I was wondering how pre-med and pre-vet differ. I heard that pre-vets in undergrad need to take a couple more courses than pre-meds... Since for pre-med I need to volunteer at some kinda hospital and as a pre-vet I'll need to do the same at the vet's, has anyone done both successfully before? What kind of doctors/vets should I shadow? I really have no idea right now as to what I will do in the future but I'm definitely looking to the medical field and leaning towards animals.
Honestly, in my bio classroom in school we have these real animal (dead ones ofc) that are dissected for us to see. I don't get too queasy from looking at the anatomy of a cat or a frog, but when I watch a video on human surgery I'm slightly taken aback. Don't get me wrong I'm not scared by human anatomy, I just feel like I'm not as bothered by animals than humans. I kinda feel like even if I went for my MD in med school, I will get used to seeing icky human stuff after a while so this part isn't too much of a problem. I just want to express how much I'm more interested in animal medicine than human medicine.
I'm so stressed out on what'll happen in the future. If I had the money (and maybe the brains? I'm not too confident about my grades now... I don't know what'll happen...), I would probably go for both. But that's still quite a waste of time. I've done some searching around this forum and it appears that there are some people who do both, not too sure... Any advice?