md anderson research program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone participated in this? Can you provide me with some insight: housing, experience, publication opportunities, etc?

Also, if I am interested in a competetive surgical subspecialty, will this be more prestiogious (assuming that I can get some sort of publication) than possibly doing some research at a respected institute ipn the dept i am interested in. I guess, it comes down to how reputable and prestigious the MD Anderson program holds out there? I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I was lucky enough to participate in their research program for college students twice. I got a few publications and got to know a lot of great people. I had family near Houston, so I didn't bother with their housing and commuted two hours each day instead. :) I've heard from others that their housing was not impressive though....at least what they provided to college students. I think your experience really depends on your PI. If you have a nice person, then it will be great. For the college student program they send you a sheet after you are accepted with the Professors who are participating in the program and a short description of their projects. If I remember correctly, you rank the sheet and send it in.
I am not 100% sure, but I think the med student program is for MS1s only though.

azzarah said:
I am not 100% sure, but I think the med student program is for MS1s only though.

thanks for the comments--actually, the med student program is for M1 and M2's.

Members don't see this ad :)
HiddenTruth said:
thanks for the comments--actually, the med student program is for M1 and M2's.
Cool...Good luck if you're applying! :D :luck:

I participated in the MD Anderson program for college students as well three years ago, but got to know 3 or 4 of the medical students really well then. They were the most brilliant med students I've met to date. I know the college program was said to be fairly competitive and from the med students I met...it sure seemed that their program was just as competitive if not more. The experience was amazing, I got to meet the best faculty, the program was incredibly organzied, and publication oppurtunity really just depended upon the PI you got. Housing was actually provided by the program for us at Rice University's dorms but i'm not sure about the med school program. I'd definitely apply for their program if I were you. I'm a Houstonian too so PM me if you have any other question.

Good luck!