MD Anesthesiology Chances of Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

probond007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, first and foremost, if I'm posting this in the wrong area, please politely say so and I'll re-post in the proper section of SDN for this question. So I got my USMLE scores back today and got a 221 (I'm a DO student). This was my first and only attempt at USMLE. While I know my score is not the cream of the crop I'm proud of it because I worked hard to get it. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the chances of matching into anesthesiology? I've looked online at the graphs showing board scores vs. match rate as well as FREIDA (and saw most programs have candidates with average scores of 220-240 and that their cut-offs for interviews is 220). While my score does fit into these categories, will being a DO student really hurt me, i.e. are these scores listed (i.e. on FREIDA or on the nbme outcomes chart, meant for MD students or all applicants in general). I know that as a DO student I fall into the independent category. I'd like to be able to match into a large city in the USA like Chicago, NYC, Miami, or LA. Any feedback/anecdotal that people have are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Idk about matching in a highly sought after city but aren't there DO specific anesthesia residencies? I believe programs in big cities are more competitive usually as many applicants want to live there, so your chances will be higher if you apply in "less desirable" areas

Hi, first and foremost, if I'm posting this in the wrong area, please politely say so and I'll re-post in the proper section of SDN for this question. So I got my USMLE scores back today and got a 221 (I'm a DO student). This was my first and only attempt at USMLE. While I know my score is not the cream of the crop I'm proud of it because I worked hard to get it. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the chances of matching into anesthesiology? I've looked online at the graphs showing board scores vs. match rate as well as FREIDA (and saw most programs have candidates with average scores of 220-240 and that their cut-offs for interviews is 220). While my score does fit into these categories, will being a DO student really hurt me, i.e. are these scores listed (i.e. on FREIDA or on the nbme outcomes chart, meant for MD students or all applicants in general). I know that as a DO student I fall into the independent category. I'd like to be able to match into a large city in the USA like Chicago, NYC, Miami, or LA. Any feedback/anecdotal that people have are much appreciated.
There was a charting outcomes for osteopathic students last year. Look that up, it should tell you where you stand.